1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ELECTRIC DRIVE vs HYDRO

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by soup, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soup

soup Member

FELLOW SHOOTERS ,

How many folks load using the hydro weather it is a Spolar Press and a Spolar hydro or a PW hydro - or a PW press and a PW hydro or Spolar hydro ?

Same goes for the Elec drive-do any Spolars use the PW elec drive ?

What is your reason of one over the other .

NOT LOOKING FOR DEBATES - just want to know why you personally like it>> (control-speed-ease of use etc . )

Thank you all .

Hit

2. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a P/W Auto-Drive on a P/W 800 Plus. I love it!

Reasons are: control, speed and ease of use!

Seriously, I like it because it is quiet, cool (no heat), easy to precisely control and reliable.

P/W makes an Auto-Drive for the Spolar and the Hornady 366.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor

[​IMG]

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have a P/W auto-drive on my Spolar And I love it for all the same reasons as Jim Skeel. Cool , quiet, instant precise response. AND NO mess unless I spill shot or powder

--- Chip King ---

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I have Spolar with Spolar hydro and it is a great rig. Precise, powerful and the foot control leaves both hands to wad/hull. Noise..yes. Unbearable, certainly not and with a dot matrix printer cabinet most OK. Heat, never noticed it to be honest, but my reloading room has mucho AC. The slight load on the pump tells you when to head the other direction and it becomes a very automatic operation.

I have very limited experience with the PW Electric drive, but really like it. Quiet, smooth, greater control. For me, I think the hand control is best. You can reverse the action instantly, or just stop things anywhere. Perhaps others would like the foot control. While very powerful, it does have a clutch that will give you some forgiveness if something goes wrong.

I went electric drive recently, do not regret it at all. Regardless of your loader preference, I would give one a try over hydraulic. PW has dropped hydraulic is my understanding, but Spolar still embraces it, and I really like the foot control that does not have fluid running through it. I have had my Spolar setup for probably 5-6 years with zero leaks...knock on wood.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The electric drive is small, table space is compact, and a piece of cake to set up. You don't need extra cabinets to keep the noise down and a hand or foot switch is available.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have the hydro on a 800+ and really like it. Variable speed control with the foot valve, you can set up the unit for 3 different operating speeds, there is no heat issues, frees up both hands and is easy to use.

Some questions I ask on another thread had gotten no response. Is the electric unit one speed? If so can a rheostat be installed to make it a variable speed control?

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

Yes it is one speed not sure why one would want to vary it but to each their own. Not sure about using a rheostat on the controller.

--- Chip King ---

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

likes-to-shoot, what brand hydro is yours?

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

likes-to-shoot,

The P/W Auto-Drive is one fixed speed. It cannot be varied except by changing the gearbox. The motor is solid state controlled and I expect it has a closed feedback loop type of control which is why it stops instantly. It cannot be modified with a rheostat.

Jim Skeel

10. dudleyone

dudleyone TS Member

I previously had the hydraulic on my Mec and was satisfied. When I went ot the P/W I changed to the electric drive. I prefer the electric, much quieter and no heat.

11. soup

soup Member

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

RickN..........Its P/W # 761. There are three positions on the stub shaft that goes into the loader and three different places the end of the cylinder bolts for the speed changes. If you don't already know Whiz has diagrams on his website, not only for the hydro unit but everything you need to know about changing parts and maintance on the P/W machines.

Where do you guys get the heat from? I've ran mine for hours at a time and can put my hand anywhere on the motor, cylinder or pump.

Thanks for the info Jim.

13. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

While I am a new fan of the PW electric drive, I have Spolar hydraulic as I said above and it might make a tad bit of heat, but certainly nothing I have noticed. I have had a few long loading sessions, never even noticed a heat situation. It really comes down to what floats your boat more.

Hydraulic's negatives I would think have to be noise and possible leaks. Noise is not an issue for me, and so far no leaks or even a hint of one. I don't change among many machines either.

There might be 3 considerations if you are sitting on the fence:

1. Cost...I think the electric is around $400 cheaper if that is an issue
    2. Electric has a clutch that will forgive long before hydraulic will
    3. While the hydraulic is responsive, the electric for me is more precise

Your mileage could vary, both will get it done.

14. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

L-T-S, now I understand what you meant by different speeds. Ty

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Didreckson has supplied all you need to know about a hydro: "Noise..yes. Unbearable" Don't get one without hearing it first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.