1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Elbow position?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blkcloud, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have always been told your right elbow (if right handed) needed to be sorta horizontal when you mount and get ready to shoot, one of the kids on my team took a lesson from Wendell Cherry and he told him to hold your elbow vertical when shooting.. which is it? does it matter? thanks!

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I was taught for a right handed shooter that the left elbow was Vertical and right elbow horizontal. For what its worth i think you should do what is comfortable. The guy who taught me said right elbow horizontal to help keep the gun mashed on your face. What do i know though.

Matt

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I do know, from reading Rollin's book, that if your right (trigger) elbow is too low, your mount will be inconsistent resulting in varying POIs(read misses). I won't say that it helped my scores any, but I don't have to remount my gun anywhere near as much as I used to.

Good luck.

P.S. Anyone have any photos of someone with their elbow vertical (either one), just want to see what you mean.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

With our beloved shotguns, almost any positions will work, sometimes? Having the trigger elbow horizontal does something you hardly ever hear about. It bunches the muscle at the top of your shoulder and locks the stocks comb to your cheek! If your upper body and gun are locked into position, the forearm hand is merely a locked gun support only! Moving the upper body as a single unit is far more precise than arm swinging a shotgun.

Hap

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

After reading "Hap's" post i realized what i had typed wasn't what i meant. Thus i corrected my original post. I had the two arms mixed up. Sometimes my brain needs smacked to function properly.

Matt

6. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I hold mine high...always have...

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

High elbow (trigger arm parallel/level with the ground) makes a "pocket" with your deltoid muscle and your clavicle bone that the butt of the gun fits nicely in. And it just so happens, that place is right below your eye.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Funny thing everyone is always complaining about canting the gun. If you mount the gun with your arm near vertical. Then raise your elbow to the horizontal position and see if your gun cants more as you raise it.

I feel a natural position is best instead of forcing the body to do what isn't natural, Not to mention the fatigue factor from forcing the body into a position that isn't comfortable.

Bob Lawless

9. ivanhoe

I used to shoot with a guy occasionally that word raise his elbow ever so slowly and then line up his beads before he called for his target. He was paranoid about canting his gun.

He raise his elbow ever so slowly until the gun was vertical. Then looked at the beads and then called for the target. He was a PITA thats why I don't shoot with him now.

Bob Lawless

10. Hap MecTweaks

Both Bobs, canting a shotgun as you both mention is an ill fitting shotgun stock problem, not a form problem. One with a lack of toe off-set for your particular build can cause grief as well as cant. We learn to adapt ourselves to many ill fitted stocks over time and thats what we're discussing here, I feel.

Hap

11. ivanhoe

Hap that is exactly what I was doing as far as I am concerned using your elbow to stop gun cant isn't what I call a proper cure for lousy gun fit.

If however you have a gun fit to you and the stock fits in pocket of your shoulder. Then you raise or lower your elbow the gun will turn left or right of vertical. It his the human anatomy that make it so.

If you don't believe it try it for yourself.

Bob Lawless

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I find I'm prone to "arm shooting" if I fail to keep my elbow up.

John C. Saubak

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

It appears there is no wright or wrong way. Do what works best for you, after you try them.

14. ned408

ned408 Member

A gun cant is not always a stock fit problem. Leo cants the hell out of his gun, and the man surely understands gun fit and how to shoot. I cant my gun some too. It's funny how a cant springs up on you. There was no adjusting out of my cant...I had to work on what looked right was not, and even close one eye before calling to make sure .
    Randy Ross

15. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I believe I saw a picture of Dan Bonillas with a canted gun.

16. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Yup, you probably did.

tanda1_2009_300729.jpg

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Canting a gun is over-rated!!

18. Hap MecTweaks

Dawg, I agree, especially if it shoots within the normal range of POIs. One such as Larry Gravestocks that shot 4 foot high is a different ballgame though?

Hap

19. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Here're some shooters at the 2008 Olympics:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"> OT2008.png </a>

Not only they held their guns with elbow down, they also forward their head on the stock, no one shoots straight neck either. Always wonder why some need to keep neck straight?

I tried everything in the past 20 years, elbow up/down, neck straight/forward, high rib/low rib, 28"O/U/34" unsingle (and everything in between), even PFS (see how far I went?), I came back to where I feel best: elbow down, head forward on flat rib 30" O/U. I feel the gun is an extension of my arm this way.

20. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I have watched Olympic shooting on several U-Tube Videos. They shoot very differently than American Trap shooters. All of them crawl the stock. They do not bring the gun to a fixed head..They mount then drop head to stock and crunch it. As stated they do not raise the right elbow.Also the mount the gun stock very low in their shoulder.... I tried shooting like this with no success. I don't get it......Also it looks to me like most of them shoot 30 in Perazzi O/U..SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.