1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ejectors Question for Reloaders

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

My Citori Plus Trap has ejectors. I am reloading.

Is there a way to turn off the ejectors, basically making them extractors? Or is there a technique to use to keep from picking shells up off the ground?

I guess if you catch the shells, that's one way. Opening the breach while the barrels are on a rest allows you to put your hand in the way of the shell and catch it also.

Danny

2. Mac V

Mac V Guest

When I had my XT's action serviced by Johnny Allem, I asked him to do that very thing because I thought that the hammer mechanism had somehow contributed to to the pin falling out of the ejector. He said that he really didn't think that was a good idea because it involved removing a number of internal parts that he figured I would eventually manage to lose...most people did. He said it wasn't a difficult job and he'd do it if I really wanted it done but...

Knowing that I do have a tendency to lose things that aren't permanently attached to me, I left them alone and learned to catch the hulls before they get loose.

Mike

3. vvosen

vvosen TS Member

I got this fix from a previous post that worked for my XT. Replace the springs in the forearm (by removing the mechanism from the forearm wood)

I replaced mine with a 7/32 x 1 3/8 x .28 compression spring which is from Century Spring Corp. Los Angeles CA. 800-237 5225 part # C-652 at my local Ace Hardware.

It has enough oomph to push the ejectors up so you can pick out the empties as opposed to the musch stronger spring that kicks the ejectors up with so much force that the empties fly.

If you have the same two springs in your forarm as an XT it should work like mine did, but you might want to pick another set of springs slightly more robust in case your action is a little heavier or stickier than mine.

In that case the .28 in the size above would be the dimension that would change.

If I new where the other post was I would point you to it. The suggestion was made by a gunsmith.

Good Luck,

Vic Vosen

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Or just put your finger over the breech so when the ejectors pop, the hull bounces back and stays in the chamber. Then just pull the hull out like you would if your gun had extractors.

5. skibum0607

skibum0607 TS Member

Just block or catch the shells with your hand. Why mess with your gun when its so easy to just put your hand over the breech and catch the empties?

Sometimes when I make a bad miss I still want to let that stupid hull fly...

6. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

When my partner shot a Citori Plus, I just removed the struts and springs from the forend, and it functioned just fine as an extract-only gun. When she sold it, I re-installed them. No problem. I kept them in the tube from a small bore brush, in the gun case.

Tony

7. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Sounds like some people are not very adept at gun handling. Even my wife can catch shells from an ejector without dropping them.....and she's 65.

Buz

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Buz,

I actually got to shoot the gun at trap for the first time today. It's not a big deal to put a hand in the way and catch the shells. You just have to open carefully.

I still think it would be better to have shells extracted vs. ejected.

Danny

9. doctordennis

doctordennis TS Member

alfermann66 -- You are a pure ASS!

10. doctordennis

doctordennis TS Member

Danny,
    quick fix is to simply remove the pin and hook mechanism that cocks your ejectors. On each side of forearm metal you will see two pins. The top pins on each side hold your ejector hooks in place. If you tap them out your hook and small spring will come out. Without them in there your gun will be a little harder to close but it will lift the shells up to full ejector heighth when you open it. I've used this method on several citori and XT models. Even if you loose the parts it only cost few dollars to replace them from Brownells. If you need to see a picture email me and I'll take some to show you. By the way just ignore those ignorant people on here that just want to slam you whenever you ask a question.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ahh, and miss the enjoyment of watching Jacque Snellenberger catch those shells in midair!!

JRC

12. remington32

remington32 TS Member

Browning introduced the "Grand Prix" model which allows you to choose between extraction and ejection. Looks like a part change in the forearm area.

Might be interesting to call Browning and see what "part" was changed and is it available for other Citori's.

13. remington32

remington32 TS Member

Browning introduced the "Grand Prix" model which allows you to choose between extraction and ejection. Looks like a part change in the forearm area.

Might be interesting to call Browning and see what "part" was changed and is it available for other Citori's.

14. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

doctordennis,

Thanks for the response. Please email me the pics, it would help if I could see what you're talking about.

Danny

15. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

doctordennis,

I never got the pics. I have had a look inside the forearm at the springs, but couldn't quite figure out how to get them out. Being a novice smith, I am reluctant to use much force until I know which way is up, so to speak.

Anyone else have some details about the removal or replacement of these springs?

Danny

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

For me, it is simpler to catch the extracted shells and put them in my bag than pulling out a hull that has only been extracted. I never take my eyes from the trap. I want to watch the next shooters target, the scorer might miss a small chip.

Pat Ireland

17. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

TO remove the springs in the Browning ejectors, everything is in the forearm.

some people like the ejctors, catch the empties, block the throw and then pull empties the rest of the way out of the chamber, let those things fly to vent your frustaration so it's gone and you can relax and enjoy the next shot,
    I am shooting junk shells open the action click they are gone and I can start loading the next shell. ETC.......

Some people like extractor's not having to worry about that precious hull jumping away and going to the club, picking the empty out and dropping out of the way, or the freedom to throw that bad shell as far as they can, ETC......

Or work with what you bought and enjoy it the way it is, one way is why there are gunsmiths around, the other is why there are so many used guns around or maybe thats both ways are why..............

Al

I'll work with what I bought, no sense throwing more money away!

18. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Danny , I fully understand that none of the well intentioned true trappers would never resort to what I am about to ascribe ---- but , as a born-again O/U shooter (spinal stenosis and inner ear/meds interaction) who always had the wire catcher in my SX-1 ; it is exceedingly "nice" to have the full strength of the ejectors available to whistle an empty or TWO at an auto-jammerer who casually says "So sorry , had to take my catcher off for doubles " .

Mea culpa ; mea culpa . Forgive me trappers for I have sinned .

Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning grand prix ejectors