1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eject vs extract?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Dec 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

With my single barrel guns I have the option of extract or ejecting a spent hull. Since I shoot a release trigger I've been using extract. When I use cheaper steel base factory ammo they wouldn't extract. Wondering If I went to eject would the problem still be there? Its a little be of work to go back, but I don't want to mess up any squad I'm on with sticking hulls.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Raybren

Raybren Member

WHAT BRAND GUN ??

3. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Depending on the gun's brand and it's vintage, the chamber may be too tight to reliably extract or eject steel-based shells. They don't contract as well as brass base shells after firing, and the chamber may need to be relieved so that the gun will extract/eject reliably. I shoot two Ljutics from the late 1990's. One ejects steel shells with no problem. The other needed to be returned to Ljutic to have the chamber relieved.

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Put some sandpaper on a round wood dowel and rotate it until the shells extract.

5. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

My experience with the Alfermann, says that if the hulls stick one way, they will stick the other. Other brands of gun will vary. A we-bit of headspace relief will help as will chamber polishing and minimum relieving-.002-.004". Go easy as you can get the chamber to big.............merlyn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is eject the same as extract