1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Effective range ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

How far back is the effective range of 1 oz of 81/2 shells @ 1180/1200. Since I no longer reload. I have to plan my next years shotshell order. I've got a bad back and want to keep all my shells @ 1 oz. I'll be ordering Noblesport LR1, in 81/2 & 8's.

Phil Berkowitz

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

8 1/2's (1 oz) are good for only the 16. I've been shooting them for years. Anything farther back; well good luck.... I broke a 49/50 today with that load.

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I played with that size, weight, and speed for about 10 years now. They just destroy tgts at the 16, and although they will break a fair amount at the 20 and some even at the 27, they are unreliable in my opinion anything past the 16. I sometimes use the same size and weight at about 1050 fps for playing with a hand trap or shooting just behind the traphouse for some of the games. Anytime I used 8 1/2 or 9's behind the trap it was rare that I was not the winner or nearly the last two or three guys left in the game.

4. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Phil,

In the past my family has shot a ton of Noblesport LR1. but they can't compare with Rio for a little extra money. Noblesport shells were very inconsistent from one shell to the next. We had one box with 4 or 5 shells that barely had enough power to break a target until we found a handicap shell.

The effective range of any shell will depend upon your gun and choke, so get out there an patten a few boxes.

TNCoach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

effective range of trap shooting

trap shooting effective range