1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Effective Practice for High School (Laser?)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bmcgrew, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bmcgrew

bmcgrew TS Member

Hi everyone,

We are in our first year of trapshooting here at Neelyville High School and I have some very enthusiastic students participating in the program. And wow, this is an expensive sport. Unlike basketball, where you can roll out a couple of balls and practice all day, this sport requires some serious cash just to make empties in practice. So here is my question... As anyone experimented with some of the alternatives to live fire for practice, especially with students?

I do have Terry Jordan's wall chart but I'm also wondering about some of the laser products out there. I see arrow laser shot listed on the link page of trapshooters.com and even something like the lasershot technologies, simulated shooting programs could be paid for in about 1 semester if you count up practice rounds saved.

Does anyone have any advice or comments on this topic?
    Thanks,
    Bruce

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Some of these other devices may be great for teaching but there is really no substitute for practice practice practice. You got to get the students out there and run alot of shells thru the guns. I believe in hands on training. I help coach my sons high school team. It is very expensive but ask around for there is often clubs and buisnesses that are willing to donate shells hats shirts etc. Good luck.----Matt

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I disagree with above poster. Effective practice CAN be accomplished with the DryFire system.

Check it out.

This is a VERY cost effective method for a small group of kids to use.

Other than that the only other way to reduce costs is to go the homemade shot and 1oz reload route.

4. Beacon

Beacon TS Member

I have used and really like the DryFire system. However, I think it is only effective when it is combined with real practice. I know this is absolutely true for me, I have to be able to apply the information from the DryFire reports with experience on the field within a relatively short time frame (1-2 days) to get the most benefit from it.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Beacon---In a way thats what i was saying. I'm sure all of the teaching aides that don't use live fire work very well but there is no substitute for the actual trap line. If you combine the two in the right manner i'm sure you could save some money and have an effective training session as well.---Matt

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dry Fire at 60%, actual at 40%, should work good. You must do both to make the simulator effective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.