1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Effect of Trigger Lock Time

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blade819, Feb 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Always being one to try to absorb as much info. as I can, I think that I stumbled on the reason why it is taking so long for me to shoot my Silver Seitz Top Single (no. 2 rib)consitently well vs. my Unsingle CG that I tore it up with last shooting year. Being a left eye dominant right hand shooter, logic says that in most cases I should shoot the Top Single better. However, through emails with a couple experts in this area,(one in particular), it was pointed out that the problem shooting the Seitz is probably the faster lock time not necessarily it being a Top Single. Based on that opinion, I believe it's just a matter of getting use to the Seitz. Any opinions on this subject will be appreciated.

blade819

2. William681

William681 Member

blade819

Non issue.

The milisecond difference in any modern firearm, (shotgun), is inconsequential.

For a precision rifle shooter, at very long ranges, certainly.

I certainly am not a "top dog" trap shooter. I shoot for fun.

Check out my stats I do not shoot a lot of registered targets.

I shoot in the 90+% range.

However I have shot a lot of blackpowder clays. I shoot a Dixie Gun Works SxS 12ga. Lock time?? Stay in the target while waiting for that dog eared hammer to hit the percusion cap. Now you have a lock time issue.

If I can hit 88/100 with a muzzloader, no fancy super choke tubes, no ground and polished forcing cones, no adjustable rib, cork and cardboard wads, powder and shot dipped out of a container, and a lock time measured as a tenth of a second and not milliseconds, I think you concern over lock time is just clouding your brain

Just shoot the damn target.

Bill Boston

3. missed some

missed some TS Member

It took me a couple of flats to get used to mine. actually had it slowed down a bit for awile

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

the Seitz was one of the easiest guns for me to transition into. Too many people put emphasis on lock time when gun fit and balance mean the most.

5. ABH

ABH Member

If you were doing so well with the CG, why did you switch guns?

ART H.

6. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Art, that's easy he's a trapshooter.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trigger lock time is an important part of the equation in the shooting sports. HMB

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Stay in the target while waiting for that dog eared hammer to hit the percusion cap. Now you have a lock time issue."

Bill B., if you were using a flint version does that merely mean you must stay with the comb a tad longer?

Try telling some of the top shooters their lock time, trigger pull weights etc. isn't important?

Hap

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

You might have to change your hold points. With a very fast trigger you really have more time to track the target. I moved my hold points on stations 1 & 4 inside the corners but still low & it really helped me smoo.th out my target acquisition. I shoot a gun with a lock time that is 3 times faster than a Seitz.

Phil Berkowitz

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Remington 3200 was always known for having very fast mechanical triggers. Makes a very good doubles gun. HMB

11. blade819

Thanks for the comments and especially the PM's I received. It appears that I just need to stay with it. Also, J. Woosley... you're right on with your comment. Will re POI tomorrow just to double check where the gun is shooting per N.W. article. Then just stay with it.

blade819

12. blade819

I have never had a post where I received so many PM's. In saying that, I wish to thank all who have taken their time in expressing their opinions/comments concerning this subject. I am now wondering why we haven't had this subject on TS.com more often as I have concluded that it is important by the number of PM's that I received. The one common thread in all of the comments is "stick with it"! That's what I plan on doing as painful as it may be. Thanks again.

blade819
    John Granacki
    North Georgia

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Your brain has been programed to shoot the unsingle CG well. Trying to get used to the new gun will probably cause brain damage. Stay with the gun you were shooting well. HMB

14. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Bill Boston gave you some good advice" just shoot the target". Trapshooters are notorious for trying to find reasons for missed targets. That is why we keep most gunsmiths in business. I always felt that no matter if you shoot a Seitz or a J.C. Higgins, you will adjust to a certain gun's lock time.

When you miss a target look into a mirror and that is the person and the reason you missed. Once you get adjusted to this guns lock time, something else will start up. Truthfully, it never ends, next problem?
    Steve Balistreri

15. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Dennis DeVault has an electronic timer for lock times . His test results were: The Seitz .0015 sec., The Machone/Infinity .0005 sec.

Phil Berkowitz

16. missed some

missed some TS Member

Hahaa now thats some good stuff there

17. blade819

It keeps comming.

blade819

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

With a real fast trigger its very easy to short shoot the target. Hit the bird on the nose. With my gun I do not have to lead at all in singles.

Phil Berkowitz

19. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Phil, be realistic, you should know full well that without any lead, you will shoot behind every time.

20. missed some

missed some TS Member

With that said. are you shooting a competive score if you arent something needs changed mark crist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.