1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Effect of recoil vs. scores

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by valmet, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

How many of you out there have raised or lowered your average by

going to a lighter load - 1oz or 7/8 ? because of recoil, economy,

or for whatever reason. Just wondering, Dennis

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

When shooting my 870, getting turned onto 1oz 1145fps loads was a good thing. Then I started reloading, loaded some loads close to STS managed recoil loads for my wife, loved those shooting the 870. my scores went up and after 100+ rounds didnt feel it later.

3. duster 2

duster 2 TS Member

For the cost savings. And satisfaction of out shooting you and others with my 7/8 oz. weenie loads!! Brian

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I found that I get better breaks with 1 oz. loads than with 1 1/8 oz. loads. My assumption is that the considerably-faster (15%) pellets of the 1 oz. load reduce the number of them needed to crack the target. Recoil isn't an issue.

Morgan

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

There is an excellent article in the May/June issue of Shooting Sportsman (high end rag) on how to calculate "actual" recoil. The centerpiece of the article is that sustained shooting using a calculated recoil equalling or exceeding 25# will impact the body, diminish scores over time - especially profound in trap, one of the reasons for the proliferation of release triggers.

Very easy to calculate as you consider recipes and weight of guns.

Evelyn Wood version,

Jay

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Count me in. Been shooting 1 oz since the mid-70s and started with 7/8 oz for skeet but find they break 100s in singles too. Were I to limit myself to one load, it would 1 oz of 8s....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I do not believe that recoil has anything to do with the type of flinch that is cured by a release trigger. If it was, a shooter would flinch on every shot and would continue to flinch with the release.

Recoil has never been an issue with me and I shoot 3 dram 1 1/8 loads. However, I think you get guys that are sedentary, overweight and out of shape and put them on their feet out in the sun, make them lift a 9+ pound gun 100-200 times and add in a jolt, it is no wonder that their concentration goes away as fatigue sets in. Its not just recoil, it is the whole package.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

JBrooks, some guys flinch even with a good release trigger, even some that appears to be in good physical condition. Felt recoil isn't the same for all. Hap

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Hap, I just don't think recoil is what causes the common type of flinch that is typically cured by a release trigger. I am sure there are recoil sensitive guys who never flinch just as there are guys like me that don't even notice the recoil and really can't tell the difference between a hot load and a soft load that do develop a flinch.

I think whatever causes the disconnect is a fascinating physiological occurence that I would like to see studied.

10. nipper

nipper TS Member

My load is simply $$$$ and then recoil as well, but mainly $$. I use 16.5 grains of red dot and 1 oz. of shot in 12 guage, i just loaded some with 15.4 grains of red dot and will try them tonight and compare the two.

Bill

11. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

If light loads helped your score I think you might see the people who lead the All-American list using them. I see some of them using 2 3/4 dram loads but I haven't seen any using 7/8 or 1 ounce loads yet.

jim brown

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I can't speak for anyone else but the heavy shells do hurt my scores and make shooting less enjoyable. Call my an out of shape weinie or what ever but 1 Oz #8 @ 1,200 is my favorite. I'm experimenting with even lighter 7/8 oZ loads right now and there is a good chance that is what I will be shooting the most of this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.