1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Effect of pitch on stock?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

What effect does pitch have on shot impact. I noticed when I hold gun the bottom of the stock is very high on my shoulder. The recoil pad is not even in the pocket of my shoulder. I was wondering if I need more pitch in the stock or one of those Jones adjustable pads. I am shooting well with my current set up but it seems like a battle to get stock at the same place in my shoulder. My gun is set up about 80/20.I also bring the stock up to my face rather than put my face down to the stock. Thanks

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

TRON?? Earl has another question for you. Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.

3. smsnyder

Bob, What question would that be? Its either some pitch in stock i need or jones adjustable pad. Something just not right yet. Lots of 25's in caps and 16 but can't keep it together to 100.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are looking for more drop ... not pitch

5. smsnyder

My cat Auto loves Tron

6. smsnyder

What the difference between drop and pitch? Thanks

7. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Do you have any down adjustment on your recoil pad, if not install one that will drop down and also cant, so its fits perfect in the pocket. and as far as your 100 go quit thinking about it, and it will happen. "slid"

8. smsnyder

I have no down adjustment on my pad. It just a standard pad with some toe out. Thanks

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Earl,if your putting up plenty of straights, then a slug like me should not be trying to have a laugh at your expense and I apologize. Shoot well and enjoy, Bob

10. smsnyder

Ha Bob, Im use to the abuse. LOL Allmost got this gun Zeroed in. Shooting well but its a battle getting that stock at the same place. Just need to make minor corrections.Can't wait till Florida shoots. Wish there was some ATA shoots end of Nov and Dec in warm weather.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

smsnyder- Drop is the distance from a line along the rib to the top of the comb. Pitch is the angle from a line through the center of the bore to the butt of the stock.

I propose if you are breaking a lot of 25 in singles and capps, but just can't hold things together for 100 targets that your problem is not gun fit. It most likely is due to not concentrating on both the fundamentals and the target every time you shoot.

Pat Ireland

12. Jim Lambert

Jim Lambert Member

This link will take you to and intersting tutorial on stock pitch from a member of the US Army Marksmanship unit.

Crazy Chester

http://forums.gunsamerica.com/yaf_postst94_Gold-Medal-Trap-Shooting--Home-Fitting-Your-Shotgun-Pitch.aspx

13. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

All I can tell you is if I don't mount my gun the same way in the same spot every time it is flat ass luck if I don't hear "lost".
    The consistent and correct mount is one of the first pieces to the puzzle.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Get a Jones adjustable, and all your rounds will be 25s. HMB

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

This answer is not an easy one without seeing the shooter..shoot at all targets.... Depending on chest..and shoulder pocket.. the wrong pitch and cant of the recoil pad might be "perfect" on a straight away.. but roll out..or move higher or lower in the pocket on hard lefts or rights..

While easily corrected with a pad adjuster..and or the correct recoil pad for you.. It is an important part of the winning equasion.. ESPECIALLY on doubles.. Talk to any top shooter.. and he will have a box of different recoil pads he's tried..

While some shooters can pick up just about any gun.. and shoot it well..and everything seems to fit..the shape of shooters required more than a few simple adjustment to reach perfection in stock fitting..

Hope this helps.. All Good.. Mike

16. 20yard

20yard TS Member

An adjustable butt is the answer, will let you tweak height and toe.

17. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

20 yard.. Respectfully.. an adjustable butt is a great start.. but for a few shooters..I've had to grind a pad on a angle..left to right for proper fit..as well as cut out for a low collar bone.. There is no one answer for stock fit.. only experience... That's why this board is so valuable... With all of us having something to add.. or something to learn..if we so desire to be the best..the knowledge is here and waiting..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

effect of pitch on shotgun

gun stock pitch and its effect on recoil

us army marksmanship unit shotgun pitch

what is the perfict pitch for a gun stock