1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Effect of moving forawrd hand front or back?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

What is the effect on POI, etc. of moving the front hand forward or back on the forearm?

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

None..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

It will slow the swing down if you move the hand forward, move the hand back and the gun will seem quicker. Glenn

4. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Good answer
    Thank you

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I usually have my hand at the very rear of the forearm. I have some serious damage to the shoulders and nerves in the arms, so I look more like a rifle shooter than a shotgun shooter. When I did have the strength, I would put my hand out further on the forearm for caps, in order to slow my swing a little bit. At the 16, I was about midway. The point of impact can go slightly lower with your hand further out on the forearm if your arm is not very strong. That is my observation of my own issues over a period of time where my shoulders, nerves and arm strength had deteriorated. My gun is now "very quick", but I wish I were able to control it a little more precisely.

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I try to shoot like Kay teaches, lock everything and swing the gun from your trunk. Other than comfort, my forward hand position doesn't matter with regard to gun speed and definately not with POI. If you want to pick up some gun speed on hard lefts or rights, start with your hold point further in the opposite direction.

7. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I have much better control of my swing with my front hand forward. Seems like simple physics.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is easier to support the weight of the gun with the hand forward. Small irregular movements of the supporting hand are magnified more at the end of the barrel if the hand is back near the receiver.

If your swing is faster with your hand near the receiver, you are moving the gun with your arms and not your body trunk and/or legs. If you are doing that, you have a much more serious problem than hand placement.

Pat Ireland

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Interesting thought Gary. Almost like shooting off the opposite corners drill.

Pat, I hear what you are saying but--having been "an arm" shooter too long I find that shooting correctly, whole body, gives me the perception of being much quicker. Very little movement of anything, just my mental perception. Probably shouldn't have expressed it that way. Mental?? that's scary.

10. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Funny you should ask this right now. Last year I returned to trap after 25 years of non shooting. I bought a KX5 (34) & worked my way up to a 96+ average last August/Sept/Oct.

This year, I had a lot of problems and for 4 months couldn't break 90. In 4 months I had only 2 25's. It was real hoot - very frustrating. No consistancy, no confidance, all over the place.

I took two clinics from top teachers/names. I was trying to get a more upright stance & better balance. As a one eyed shooter, I was searching for better results from my set up. I was struggling with a lot of factors to find the solution and eventually realized that my forearm placement & hand grip had moved several inches back and was a lot closer to the reciever than my early years, or even last year.

So, in late July I returned to gripping my gun all the way out on the forearm & holding a lower gun, on the back of the house. I lean forward. That was my style. That was three weeks ago & since then - 312/325 for a 96 avergage, more center hits/smoke and (6) 25's along the way. I also shot a 94 in a handicap.

For me - my lesson was hold father out, & do what works me. That was how I shot before, and it is my "style". Clinics can help, but eventually we have to find out what works best for us, individually. I have long arms for my height (34" sleeve length, for a guy 5'9". Maybe that has something to do with it.)

I see many good shooters with a better set up than me, and look more balanced and 'traditional' in their arm/hand position. I would never try to tell new shooter to hold like me, but it works for me. I can't say if I am swinging faster, slower or the same but I feel good and in control and locked in as a unit.

For me, holding in mid forearm didn't work. Now I feel as if I am in control of the gun and move much better toward the target.

Perhaps this story can help you find your best position - it really is up to you and the results you get. Best of luck.

js in PA

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The farther you can hold on to the forearm, the more control you have of the shotgun, too close to the reciever, you whip the gun, over control, and actually have no control.

The weight of the gun should be between your hold, but the actual balance point shoud be 50/50 between the hands.

Your shotgun should balance out on the hinge pin, if not add or remove weight until it does. I use shot in the stock hole to get it to balance out.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.