1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Effect of adjustable comb on trap gun???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Murphy, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Murphy

Murphy Member

I have recently purchased a Winchester Diamond 101 trap gun. The stock has an adjustable stock/comb?
    I am not sure what raising the comb does. Since trap guns usually shoot high, will raising the comb raise or lower the shoot? I am interested in using this gun for sporting clays and don't know if it will be a good choice. Don't really know what effect the adjustable comb has. Sorry for the question but I really don't know how the adjustment works. Thanks

2. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Raising the comb raises the point of impact. Moving the comb to the right, moves the Point of impact to the right. etc.

John

3. Murphy

Murphy Member

So I should just experiment raise, lower, left ,right, what are your thoughts on using a trap 101 for sporting?

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

should do the job o.k., might be a bit on the heavy side but have at it you'll be fine. most likely you'll want the comb all the way down or just slightly high. in sporting and skeet you shoot a flatter shooting gun. I've shot sporting with my citori trap, basically the same thing.

5. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Adjust the comb so when you mount the gun the beads form a fig 8.

Shoot at a pattern plate or cardboard box at 13 to 16 yards.

If the pattern is about 1 inch above the aim point the pattern at 40 yards will be about 60/40. Adjust to your preference. Now if you adjust the comb the sight picture of the fig 8 should change, if you force to see the fig 8 the gun will shoot to the same place.

If you have a gun that you shoot well, shoot it at the pattern plate or box. Adjust the comb of the new gun to shoot same at 13 to 16 yards. 1/16 inch move at the comb will move the POI about 1 inch at 13 to 16 yards.

Jason

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The adjustable comb is about the only option you need on a shotgun.

Clyde

7. Murphy

Murphy Member

Well, I shot it tonight in sporting clays, kept the adj. comb all the way down, did not raise it at all, seems to shoot similar to any of my other guns. I think i did fine since it was first time shooting this gun and intend to try it vs some other guns I own, (single barrel). In short it doesn't seem like it shoots better or worse than I shoot other guns, did not notice it shooting hign as some people have told me it may since it was a trap gun.

Search tags for this page

effect of comb height shooting trap

effects of raising comb in shooting

raising the comb om my trap gun

shotgun comb affect on shooting

should i lower my comb for sporting clays

trap shooting adjustable comb

what does raising the comb on a skeet gun do

what effect does raising comb on trap gun have