1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Edwards recoil reducer Any one used them

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I saw an article in Trapshooting USA about recoil reduction devices. For some reason this one caught my eye. Has anyone used them and if so did you notice any significant reduction in the recoil.

Thanks in advance

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I've used them for a long time..if you drill a little hole in the back of the tube and give it a little squirt of oil every once in awhile it seems to work a whole lot better. At least it does for me.

Big Jack

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Weight added in any form helps reduce felt recoil. I use solid lead weight melted into straight copper tubing of various sizes for my recoil reduction. Solid weights act quicker than springs bouncing or liquids splashing forward to counteract felt recoil. With springs or liquid weights, the gun MUST move back wards in order to cause the rearward stop with such weights???? Not so with solid weight! It's pennies for lead/copper tubed versus lotsa dollars for factory made whiz gidgets and pennies win in this case!

I've bought and used most all of them at one time or another too!

Hap

4. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Dick,

How hard are they to install? Do they just fit in the stock bolt hole or is there more to the installation?

thanks

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

It's supposed to be in a hole drilled parallel to the bore

Ed Yanchok

6. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have a few used Edwards that I would let go for $25.00 each.
    Don

7. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

I have one in my model 12 that has been singing to me for around fifty years.
    Jesse Edwards installed in at the Illinois shoot at Mathers Gun club many years ago.

During the last Grand held at Vandalia I ran across Jesses grandson who was set up under a tree with the Edwards reducer line.
    We got to talking about his grand father and what a character he was .
    Jesse lived in the Alton, Edwardsville Illinos area and we all knew him from the shoots.

Long story short, the grandson invited me to sit down with him and drink some of his beer while he took the Reducer our of the model 12 and went through it and freed it up, as it wouldn't even bounce when he tested it.

I believe he said that he was located in New Jersy and mainly markets his device to the sporting clay shooter and big bore rifle shooters that shot the heavier shells.

He told me that back in the day when we all shot model 12s and 870s and three dram shells, it was an effective way to to manage felt recoil.
    With the advent of the lighter loads that most of us shoot, it really wasn't that effective.

He wouldn't charge me anything for for servicing the reducer and was just happy to hear and share stories about his granfather.

It is one of my most cherished memories of my last Grand at Vandalia.
    Pretty good service after the sale!

ed.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I've tried them, but honestly, like Hap said, I am not convinced they work any better than just adding a solid weight in the stock of the gun.

9. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the comments!

10. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you want a good one for your stock, try Beartrap. They come in left and right hand. I have not used Edwards, but I have used the Beartrap. I liked the Beartrap. Just my thoughts, Roy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.