1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Educate me on wad selection

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Blueraven81, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

I'm sure this subject has been covered many times, but I thought that perhaps it's time for updated information.

I'm also sure that there are many different opinions on what the best wad is, and I welcome those opinions, however what I'm looking for is just what does the wad actually do other than hold shot? I could just Google "wads", but I'd like a trap shooter's opinion.

With all the different wads available there must be a difference between them that impacts performance.

Over the past fours years of reloading for my Boys I've been using Winchester WAA12s and recently I switched over to the Claybuster equivalent due to they are cheaper. Both visually appear to be the same and from my Boys scores they perform the same as well.

I'm a bit confused on if one wad performs better than another, why doesn't everyone use the same wad?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your comments.

Craig

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

If it's fact or not, Claybuster's have a reputation for plastic buildup. Many of us favor Downrange's fine products. They have two new wads, a purple Windjammer style in 1oz, and the latest, a Windjammer style with Fig 8 bottom, for 1 1/8oz. Keven, their product design engineer is very customer friendly and will send samples if you visit their website and ask. I load Remington STS style hulls; but don't think these two are designed for best performance in straight walled hulls such as Federals.

Best....mike

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Some will disagree, but in my opinion, wads are wads.

I use Downrange wads because they load easier in my Hornady 366, and the price is right.

Ballistically speaking, I don't think you'll find a lot of difference between one brand, or style, and another.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I pick the wad that makes the prettiest reloaded shell. HMB

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Two things you really should be concerned about:<UL><LI>use wads intended for straight-walled in straight-walled hulls and wads for tapered wall hulls in tapered-wall hulls<LI>use the correct length wad for the component stack and the hull. There are a variety of hulls that all produce similar ballistics (produce same pressure and velocity with specific load data). But some differ in length enough that they will produce either over-stuffed and buckled hulls or seriously concave crimps when used with that data.</UL>

Keller

6. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Also if you look at the reloading data some wads aren't suited for the velocity you may want.
    Your receipe will depend on the powder and primer, 7/8oz/1oz/1 1/8oz.

7. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

how do you tell if the hull is tapered or straight walled? Can you visually see a difference? I've been using Gun Clubs primarily.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Mic the base of the wads you use against the wad the hull Mfgr calles for.
    There is usually .010 larger dia for the straight walled hulls.

And I have never, ever, had any plastic build up using Claybuster Wads.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used federals for many years along with some windjammers. I switched to Down Range because Kevin gives away some on here every year and I happened to win two years ago.After using Down Range I would never use anything else period. Claybusters ?? I tried them and was very unhappy.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I switched to Duster wads years ago, virgin plastic, load easy and no plastic build-up like Claybusters or Winchester wads.

You can't see the taper in the hull, its in the plastic. Tapered hulls have a smaller inside diameter down by the base than straight walled hulls. Tapered hulls are Remington Nitros, Gun Clubs, and STS, Winchester AA's. Straight walled hull are Federal Gold Medal, Top Guns, Estates and Euro-hulls. There are others, but those are the most common.

Wayne

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Keller, exactly.

Small case, small wad. Big case, big wad. Get the height that fits. A half inch below the lip is where I like the top of the shot to be.

After that, find one you like regarding price and performance (which is, after all, a subjective thing).

I never have to adjust my loader any more.

HM

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I've got to agree with dr. longshot on this one, never had any problems with C.B.s ie plastic build-up bloopers etc. but did have odd sounding-- light "felt" recoil with D.R. only thing changed was the wad, gave them to a buddy same results. Called D.R. and basically was told use somebody else's wad. They (D.R.) did break targets, just never knew what to expect when you pulled the trigger. Went back to C.B.s and-or OEMs everything returned to normal. I load Rems. & he loads AAs. We both shoot fixed chokes so "maybe" that explains the plastic build-up if others have C.T.s. Just my experience. Ross Puls

13. wlc

wlc Member

Claybuster makes a great product and their customer service is good. If you have questions about wad selection, give them a call.

14. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"how do you tell if the hull is tapered or straight walled? Can you visually see a difference? I've been using Gun Clubs primarily.</I></blockquote>Federals (Estate and Top Gun as well), Rios, Kemen, Diana and other European hulls are straight tubes from top to bottom. The wad's powder cup has to be accurately sized correctly to seal against the walls of the hull.

Remingtons (Gun Club, STS, Nitro 27) are 1-piece hulls and are tapered from top to bottom.

Old Winchester AAs are 1-piece tapered tubes; the new 2-piece HS hulls are actually straight tubes but the separate base wad creates a tapered section in the bottom 3/4" of the hull (so they're considered tapered hulls).

The taper allows the wad's powder cup to wedge itself into the taper and create a tight pressure seal. This is also why a wad that's too tall for the hull and the components (or a straight wad in a tapered hull) won't go into the hull far enough to allow for a good crimp.

To see what "tapered" means, cut a 1/2" wide strip one of one of your GC hulls from top to bottom and look at the hull wall from the side; note that it gets progressively thicker from the hull mouth to the base.

Keller

15. maka

maka Member

Go to where ever you are buying your supplies. They should have reloading manuals for each powder manufacturer. The manual will indicate what wad to use for each type of shell or load. Good Luck.

16. Unknown1

One of the things I've learned about the loading data found in powder company data guides is this...

All the data in every data guide will produce a safe shell. That doesn't mean that it will produce a good looking shell or a shell that is has good target-breaking ballistics or a shell that doesn't have a deep dish in the crimp or even one where everything fits into the hull. Hodgdon, for example, has listed data that uses taper-wall wads in straight wall hulls and straight-wall wads in tapered hulls. The former probably leak pressure badly and the latter probably have to be mashed down to get the hull to close. But they know that somebody is going to try combinations like those so they test them.

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

give me examples of wads for taper walled hulls