1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ed's Red Ingredients

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

One of the ingredients called for in Ed's Red bore cleaner is Kerosene.

Can the "parrafin oil" sold in Wally World for use in lamps be substuted?

Internet says kerosene and parrafin oil are the same thing.

Tim

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Are kerosene and coal oil the same thing? Don't know about parrafin oil.

3. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

can't answer your question, but I can tell you to watch out for your Ed's around the house, it does a lot of good things and it may disappear faster than you expect. I made up a gallon a while back, and even though it had been a while, it seemed like it was disappearing a lot faster than would be expected; then one day in the middle of cleaning some chokes the whole gallon can disappeared.........looked and looked, couldn't imagine how I had done something so stupid to loose the whole can in a 30 min. period. Finally found it upstairs being used by my wife to clean a paint brush, she said it worked really great.
    dennis

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Just about every gasoline station in my area has a kerosene pump. Simply buy a couple quarts of that. It's cheaper and it doesn't smell like vanilla bean (or whatever else) lamp oil'

Morgan

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

hippie asked:

<I> Are kerosene and coal oil the same thing? Don't know about parrafin oil.</I>

Here is an entry from the Wikipedia:

<I>Coal oil is a specific oil shale oil used for illuminating purposes. It is sometimes confused with kerosene or lamp oil, but coal oil was obtained from the destructive distillation of cannel coal, mineral wax, and bituminous shale, and hence called coal oil. A special type of coal known as cannel coal (classified also as terrestrial type of oil shale) is required to produce it.</i>

Morgan

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, we have an equipment rental outfit near my house that sells kerosene. Smells bad and I have to filter it first. It is stored out of an old elevated steel tank, and there are always metal flakes in it. I jsut don't know where else to get true kerosene.

I get some pretty odd looks when I go in there with an automatic transmission fluid container, asking for one quart of kerosene.

I thought if the lamp oil was the same thing, I'd just get a quart at Wally World.

7. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I had a heck of a time finding kerosene in San Diego before locating two sources; one, Dixieline lumber sells it in two-gallon jugs (lifetime supply of Ed' Red) and a bulk oil company sells it from a pump (you supply the container/your vehicle will smell like diesel fuel for a month).

Oh, I wouldn't substitute any of Ed's Red's ingredients, especially if you can find the right stuff.

8. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I've gotten K-1 deodorized kerosene at Wally World near the kerosene heater section before.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Tractor Supply here has kerosene in 5 gallon cans for 37.00. When I was a kid it was about 12 cents.

10. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Most hardware stores sell kerosene in small one gallon cans.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Wally World has AFT in automotive, and mineral spirits and acetone in the paint department.

I'll call some hardware stores.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Home Depoe and Lowes sell it as well as odorless. Heater section.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Got the kerosene at Home Depot for $8.27 for a gallon of 1-K odorless. It was in their seasonal section. They apparently don't have it stocked year-round, at least at the store near me.

All totaled, I spent about $15.00 to make a gallon of Ed's Red.

That should last a pretty long time. Can't remember the last time I made it but its been several years, and I still have a little left from that batch.

Great stuff for soaking choke tubes.

I also put my entire O/U receiver in a metal can and fill the can with Ed's Red to let it soak for a week or two before I clean it in the winter. Loosens up any grime so its easier to clean.

Looking for a handy way to soak my barrel set too. A 3 foot long "tray" about 3 inches deep and 3 inches wide would be great. Like an aluminum bread pan, only longer.

Any ideas on where to get something like that?

14. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"Got the kerosene at Home Depot for $8.27 for a gallon of 1-K odorless. It was in their seasonal section. They apparently don't have it stocked year-round, at least at the store near me."</I>

WOW!! I get odorless K-1 at most any service station around here for $3 a gallon or less, depending on who's attacking who on that day.

Morgan

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Morgan

I checked a few service stations, and no luck.

16. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

I'LL THROW THIS OUT FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS A GREAT LUBE I,VE USED FOR 30 YEARS ON COMPETITION HANDGUNS AND SHOTGUNS. I STILL USE GREASE ON HINGE PINS.
    1. GET A GALLON CONTAINER
    2. ADD A QUART OF 30 WEIGHT NON DETERGENT MOTOR OIL
    3. ADD A CAN OF STP
    4. ADD A BOTTLE OF HOPPE'S #9
    5. ADD DEXTRON ATF TO FILL UP GALLON JUG.

RICK ZINO

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Drew,

Just do a google search on "Ed's Red" and you'll get hundreds of hits, all the same basic info.

In general, it is one quart of each of the following:

- Dexron Automatic Trasnmission Fluid

- Aliphatic Mineral Spirits

- Acetone

- Kerosene K-1 deodorized

Optional, is lanolin (I never use it.)

I got the ATF, mineral spirits, and acetone at Wally World, the kerosene at Home Depot. Home Depot usually has the mineral spirits and acetone too, though.

Fred,

That was the first thing I thought of too. I tried a couple of places for the wallpaper troughs, but any more, they're made of very thin (disposable) plastic and not very long.

18. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"To soak barrels you might try a wall paper trough, I think some of them are about long enough to put a barrel in, just a suggestion"</i>

I used a wallpaper tray...once. The acetone ate through it over night. I bought a 36" piece of 3-inch schedule 30 drain pipe and cemented an end cap on each end. Using a band saw (somebody you know has to own one) I cut it lengthwise a bit above center to create a trough with sides that curved back in on themselves just a bit. Four split pieces of 1-inch water line cemented to the bottom made the feet. It holds any of my barrels and doesn't take as much cleaner to fill as a wallpaper trough.

Morgan

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Morgan,

I thought of that too. I was thinking copper, but if the PVC (or ABS or whatever it is) works with the acetone, that might be just the ticket. Great minds think alike, and all that...

Except I don't have a band saw.

I was just looking for an easier way.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Kerosene has both penetrating properties is is a very good high pressure lubricant. I would not substitute paraffin oil or coal oil for kerosene. They may work as well but kerosene is cheap and readily available for +-$3/gal in my area.

I do not know why I would want to soak a barrel in cleaner but if I did I would put a cap on one end of PVC pipe, stand it up and put in the barrel and cleaner.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.