1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ed's Red: Formula Again Please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Feb 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ed

Like to have to formula for Ed's Red. It is yearly cleaning time again,

Thanks,

David

2. ScottEslick

ScottEslick Member

Here you go,

Scott

3. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

this is what I found (I just googled it)

4. moose!!!

moose!!! Member

this is even more visual

5. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

www.brownells.com

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OfaCCJjBEU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OfaCCJjBEU?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Here ya go Dave:

Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits

CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

MIXING INSTRUCTIONS:

Mix outdoors, in good ventilation. Use a clean 1 gallon metal, chemical-resistant, heavy gage PET or PVC plastic container. NFPA approved plastic gasoline storage containers are OK. Do NOT use HDPE, which is permeable, because the acetone will slowly evaporate. Acetone in ER will attack HDPE over time, causing the container to collapse, making a heck of a mess!

Add the ATF first. Use the empty container to measure the otherainer to measure the other components, so that it is thoroughly rinsed. If you incorporate the lanolin into the mixture, melt this carefully in a double boiler, taking precautions against fire. Pour the melted lanolin it into a larger container, rinsing the lanolin container with the bore cleaner mix, and stirring until it is all dissolved. I recommend diverting up to 4 ozs. per quart of the 50-50 ATF/kerosene mix to use as "ER-compatible" gun oil. This can be done without impairing the effectiveness of the remaining mix. Label and safety warnings follow:

FIREARM BORE CLEANER

CAUTION: FLAMMABLE MIXTURE -- HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED -- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

Contents: petroleum distillates, surfactants, organometallic antioxidants and acetone.

1. Flammable mixture, keep away from heat, sparks or flame.

2. FIRST AID, If swallowed DO NOT induce vomiting, call physician immediately. In case of eye contact immediately flush thoroughly with water and call a physician. For skin contact wash thoroughly.

3. Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid breathing vapors or spray mist. It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with itsonsistent with its labeling. Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. If using in closed armory vaults lacking forced air ventilation wear respiratory protection meeting NIOSH TC23C or equivalent. Keep container tightly closed when not in use.

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The original formula calls for equal parts of kerosene, Stoddard solvent (charcoal lighter fluid, mineral spirits), Dexron III AT Fluid and acetone. Mix a quart and you can use 8 oz. of each.

It's easier on the on the lungs and works just as well if you use 10oz each of kerosene, Kingsford charcoal lighter fluid, Dex III auto trans fluid and 2 oz of acetone.

Keller

10. Rossi396

Rossi396 Member

Anyone have an idea what this will do to my stock if it gets on it?

Tony in Pittsburgh

11. grntitan

If it has a high concentrate of Acetone in your mixture, it will ruin the finish. Acetone is rough on the wood finish. Won't hurt the metal.

12. SuperMotard

SuperMotard Member

We made a few different batches of this type of stuff and had a few interesting results. our ingrediants where slightly different using
    Power Lube
    ATF
    Mineral Spirits
    Kerosene
    Acetone

We use 2 parts power lube to 1 part ATF for a gun oil/cleaner on a rag to wipe the guns metal down, clean out under the rib ( from porting...) and as a final rag to down the bore before storage. The other thing we tried was making a "bore" cleaner using everything but the power lube. Maybe it was the fact that we used pump kerosene and mineral spirtis in place of some previously listed componets but the substance would separate, when leaving out the acetone and using the first four componets my mason jars would get clumps of a gooey substance sticking to the sides.... the atf, mineral spirits, kerosene, and acetone really took some time off cleaning an old mosin nagant just for fun..

TB.

13. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I made mine using the original recipe which means I used turpintine rather than stoddard solvent or mineral spirits. I also used lanolin. I made a full gallon of it 8 years ago and am just now down to about a quart. It works very well.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

There are 4 ingredients, not 5. Ahab's post should read:

Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

I have found that a plastic, one gallon gasoline container works well for storage. This mixture will melt other types of plastic containers.

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I thought that charcoal lighter fluid was a highly refined odorless kerosene (K1).

16. grntitan

Charcoal lighter fluid is actually a form/grade of Stoddard Solvent, I have some generic charcoal lighter fluid from one of the big box stores that actually says "Stoddard Solvent" on the back of the bottle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.