1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ED SHERER.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perazzi_01, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Just wanted to know if any one had the pleasure to shoot with ED when he was still with us, I had the pleasure years ago. And also was there anything ever found of him, his remains etc ?.
    I know he was a skeet shooter mostly , but I'm sure there is some cross discipline shooters out there.

2. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

To my knowledge, his remains were never found, sadly I remember reading about his disappearance while hunting alone. I have his book, and two of his instructional tapes. Wished I had the opportunity to have met him.....Rob

3. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I had the pleasure of taking a two day Skeet clinic from Ed Scherer. I learned a lot and had a great time. Ed Scherer disappeared in November 1995 while grouse hunting in Canada. There is a short article about it at the link below. As far as I know his remains were never found.

http://www.siouxlandoutdoors.com/OutdoorsColumns/1995/12_3_95.html

4. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

The first time I went to the World Skeet Championships 1992 (Last time in Savanah GA) I passed Ed, I had just started shooting and was a avid reader of his columns sure wish I had taken a mintue to meet him.

Ronbo

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They found one of the dogs and not the other, as I was told. He had made a phone call to a friend, telling him to come up there because the grouse hunting was fantastic.

A snowstorm made it impossible to find any trace of him.

The year before that we put him and Clarice Menzel in the Wisconsin Skeet Hall of Fame.

HM

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Forinteresting replies, post this question at skeet forum at shotgunworld.com.

7. skeet100

skeet100 Member

If anyone is interested in buying it, I have a signed copy of the 1993 book, Ed Scherer on Sporting Clays. Included in the book is a story on Ed Scherer by Larry Myhre of Souixland Outdoors on Dec 5, 1995. John F

I am and a PM will follow.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

He was one of the "Good Ones", person and shooter.

Don

9. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Ed never died in Canada. Alive and reasonably well in Mexico. Ducked out of some bills and a bad relationship....

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have a good friend in Maryland who insists that Ed is alive and well and is waterfowl hunting on the Eastern Shore.

Mexico is a new one I have not heard about.

11. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I used to moose hunt in that area. Wilderness, if you venture off the roads. Bill Malcolm

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Maybe Ed and Elvis are touring India.

13. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

He can be found running a duck and bass fishing mecca not far from Mazatlan, MX. Whole canada thing was a set-up to disappear, including leaving one dog behind to add credence to the story and confuse searching. Goes under the name Ed Schroedel..........

14. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Ricky,

You bring back old memories of working at the Playboy Club in Lake Geneva. I remember a few weekends each year that became an All-American skeet weekend.

Ed Scherer, Jay Schatz, Don Mainland, Wayne Mayes, John Shima. There were very few missed targets.

I think Ed would show up just for the free lunch. Jay (at first) would bum smokes from me (eventually he would give me $2 a cig), Don would pester me to come work for him, Wayne would crack jokes all day long, and John was just an "all-around" nice guy.

15. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Speaking of Lake Geneva , the guy that took over the skeet and trap fields after the Playboy club shutdown was tasked to clean up the wetlands where the shot fall was or Uncle Sam was going to make his life miserable , at the same time he was dealing with cancer.

Don't remember the guys name and or if he beat his illness , wondering what happened and how in the hell you would go about cleaning lead out of a marsh.

Anybody know what happened ?, Only shot there a few times in the 80's.

16. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The club pro was Jack Gracey (my employer at the time). Jack did die of melanoma cancer a couple of years after the Feds shut the club down. Jack was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. He ran a tight ship and had one nice facility.

Jack had no involvement with the lawsuit. The EPA and the US Fish & Game went after the Playboy Club, and every subsequent owner after them. Eventually, the current owners (Marcus) and the Playboy Club settled with the Feds, to the tune of hundreds of thousands. The money was to be used for clean up.

After taking several tests since then, the EPA decided the lead in the marsh posed no risk. This marsh was choked with cat-tails, to the point no waterfowl ever used it.

The investigation determined that the dozens of geese that had died of lead poisoning on Lake Geneva, died as a result of ice-boaters purchasing bags of lead shot to use as ballast. The bags would fall onto the ice and get cut open. The geese then would eat it for grit.

Because there was always a small portion of the lake that did not freeze, the geese would remain throughout the winter.

Here's a little snippet I found on the web....

The Consent Decree resolves certain claims of the United States against Lake Geneva Associates, Playboy Enterprises, and Marcus Geneva, Inc., under Sections 107(a) and 113(g)(2) of CERCLA, 42 U.S.C. 9607(a) and 9613(g)(2), at the former Southern Lakes Trap Skeet Club site (``the Site'') near Lake Geneva in Walworth County, Wisconsin. The defendants have been named as either a former owner during the disposal of hazardous substances at, or the current owner of, the Site.

The settlement requires the settling defendants to make payment of $925,000 for past response costs incurred by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency in connection with the Site and of $75,000 on behalf of the Department of the Interior and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for natural resource damages. The Consent Decree includes a covenant not to sue by the United States under Sections 106 and 107(a) of CERCLA and Section 7003 of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (``RCRA''), 42 U.S.C. 6973, for: (1) Response costs and actions associated with the EPA removal action at the Site; (2) natural resource damages resulting from shooting activities at or from the Site; and, (3) any and all claims by the United States for violations of the requirements of an EPA administrative order, Docket No. V-W-94- C.

Doug

17. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Wow !!! Doug thanks alot , yes I do remember his name now. It really bugged me to see the world come crumbling down on a guy like that. First the cancer then the threat of your business being shut down by the Feds. I was told at the time that he was going to be responsible but I guess they wanted to go after the big guys that could pay.

Once again thanks for your reply.

Rick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ed scherer disappearance

ed scherer skeet

ed scherer skeet shooter missing on hunting hunting trip

southern lakes trap and skeet club lake geneva wi