1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Economic Recession?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ditto. Break-em all. JEff

2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Looks to me like he has been doing his homework.

Don

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Channeling Republicans now are we?

4. grammie

grammie TS Member

Trappy 12:

Remember,,,,there is NO such a thing as a "natural" unemployment rate!!!! Far from it,,,,,those figures are played,,re-strung,,and tweaked,,,,to make it seem like an 'average',,,but,,,it is being manipulated by man,,,and therefore is false!!!!

Remember the "blow-torched" turkey????? That is in effect George Bushs legecy to the American People,,,that is his whole foreign policy and domestic policy,,all rolled into one recognizable lump!!!!

AKA Grammie............

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

So, that means your a Demotrappy, I knew it!!! I knew it!!! If you can't baffle-em with your brilliance then dazzle-em with your Bullxxitxx. Right on Trappy. Is the groundhog going to look at his shadow soon? Its going to be a loooonnnngggg Winter. Break-em all. Jeff

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

The American media is famous/infamous all over the world for 2 things... its abundance of speculation and conjecture and its lack of investigation and reason.

Morgan

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The hoot is that the unemployment figures do not include people whose benefits have run out, and are still not working, nor do they include people who have not been covered by unemployment insurance and are out of work.

that's a lot of people.

HM

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Economic Recession?...........YES........worse than you think..........only the start.

GS

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Halfmile is correct that “the unemployment figures do not include people whose benefits have run out, and are still not working, nor do they include people who have not been covered by unemployment insurance and are out of work.”

The unemployment figures also do not include workers whose overtime has been cut back or eliminated, persons who are working in jobs well below their skill level and older workers who have been replaced with lower paid younger workers. Manufacturing jobs pay well and service jobs, in many cases, pay less than well.

Many years ago, when I studied economics, it took a supplier with a capacity to produce and a buyer with a capacity to purchase to make a market. Today, many individuals have an impaired capacity to buy and that, IMO, is what is causing a downturn in the markets for houses, automobiles and other large ticket items.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

I just don't understand the economy. There are many who can't find a job but everywhere I look, businesses are advertising that jobs are available. One person who now rents from me stated that he could not find a job that pays $25 an hour and he is worth that much and will not take anything less. If he did, he could not live at a level he thinks he should, but he is now unemployed, his car was repossessed and I am evicting him.

It is now 9 AM and I feel that if I needed to find a job today, I could be working at my new job by noon. If I got a job flipping burgers, I would flip them better than anyone else in the place and be looking at the managers job. It would take me several years but eventually, I would own the place.

Pat Ireland

11. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

But Pat, at least that man has his ego and self esteem intact. He does know how to prioritize.

Jer

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

If there is this much talk about an economic recession it only means that we are already in one but have yet to actually admit it.

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Anything auto related may be in a recession, but our suppliers in the west and east are as busy as they've ever been (construction materials). Last year I could have put 5 more men on, but couldn't find anyone qualified to fill the spots. Our workforce is not as qualified/trained as they would like to believe, especially in the construction trades, including the union trained individuals. No one wants to do concrete and masonry work despite the $25 - $30 /hour rate. The days of a $70,000/yr factory job are done. Actual "work" scares a lot of people.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Setterman ... are you speaking of commercial or residential construction? If your speaking of residential your nuts and if your speaking of commercial just wait ... the slow down is in the very early early stages of indication of slow down but hopefully it will not happen.

15. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

The FED will probably reduce the over-night rate by 50 basis points today, since that is the number that's been leaked to the public. As I mentioned in another thread, the FED is moving to a point where lowering the discount rate will have a decreasing effect on the markets. The FED has less maneuvering room.

People also need to understand that the term inflation has at least two different compositions; that which is defined by Treasury, and that defined by the FED. The FED includes oil prices, and has, since the 1970's. The FED also uses a mixed bag of pricing to make their determination. That's why we get so much conflicting news. From a strictly technical perspective, oil, lead, copper, and other commodity price increases, do not cause inflation.

Commodities price increases cause finished goods prices to increase. However, increases in commodity prices are not inflationary, unless the money supply is also increased.

Understanding economics science is a very difficult thing for most people to do, since prices rise and fall; interest rates go up and down; and none of this happens in a vacuum. Terms like inflation are also bandied about by people, most agregiously by journalists, when they try to condense incredibly complex actions into a five-hundred word newspaper article. If economic reading is cryptic to some, it's because economic science is as complex as the physical sciences such as chemistry and physics.

Best,
    Dennis

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

Anything the FED does at this point is just a bandaid pat on the head for the economy. What they really need to do is announce that they are standing firm and that there will be no more rate cuts or anything from them and let the market now correct itself ... let the chips fall where they fall and thats that.

It will be rocky and stormy times for all of us and for the world economy but ... we all would be far far stronger in the end.

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Anybody want a real recession and economic problems? Then let's bring back the Carter years!!

Curt

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

Curt ... I hate to say it but it is time for one and in the long run we would be much much stronger.

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Lumper, I'm a commercial CM. The best thing the gov't can do is lower taxes, for both indiviudals and corporations. Corporations create and maintain jobs. Give corporations the incentive to expand and be progressive instead of taxing the daylights out of them. Some of you will throw the "Enron" crap out there, but believe me that was an exception to the business world. The normal small company struggles with all the rules and regs, and many times the risk over rides the gains. Yes, I expect work to slow down next year. If our next Prez. and congress are Tax spending fools, bend over and grab your nickers. Corporations will reign in their investments.

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Lumper....

You're correct and the time has come....as all things come full circle. Whomever the next President will be, he/she is going to inherit fiscal problems due to poor judgement of the 90's lawmakers.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.