1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eclipse Shells???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrton80, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrton80

jrton80 Member

I have been reading on here for a while becasue I have been thinking about getting back into shooting. I have not shot much for about 20 years or so. In going through all of my shells and reloading supplies, I found an unopened case of Eclipse Shells and aboout 1/2 case of wads to reload Eclipse. I have not found anyone advertising or talking about these shells anymore. Since I have not shot for many years, did a problem develope with these shells or why are they not around anymore? I just want to know before I start using/reloading them for safety reasons. Thanks for any help.

Jeff Rickert

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They were not very long lasting.

Other products beat them out and they disappeared. I know of no safety concerns. The plastic may be even more fragile due to age.

Should be ok to shoot. I would not use an auto, and look in the barrel each time.

HM

3. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

These thing were CRAP. They had no base wad and unless your chamber was 100% perfect,they were dangerous to shoot. I blew the fore-end off my Perazzi the first time I used them and the Eclipse company would not replace it. I used black electrical tape and put the thing back together and finished up the year with it and made sure to tell everyone who asked, what I thought about Eclipse ammo. I still have 9 or 10 boxes left from the only case I ever bought. Several years ago, I gave Dick Baldwin a full box for the ATA museum. My advice: Donate your case and take a write-off. DO NOT shoot them. Larry Evans

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Eclipse was sold off to a Brazilian company. nothing wrong with the shells. Mike Elton from golden West work at their plant in Sylmar Calif. He can fill you in on the sale it was a family decision. Closed their target factory also..

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Junk. I had two full cases (1000 shells). Remove all the shot and reloaded in AA hulls. They are a dangerous shell. Brand new, the hulls blew apart often separating around the wad making them a slug.

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

We stocked them at our club years ago. Many of them, upon firing after reloading (with the proper eclipse wads) split from the primer to the rim. We started looking at the shell before firing and those with a trace of "smokiness" around the primer were those that were most likely to split. Wasn't much of a nuisance with a pump or auto but you could feel the gas going up toward your hat with a breakopen. We quit using them and I dumped mine in the pond.

I'd say use at your own (and the shooters next to you) risk.

7. mike b.

mike b. Member

During the clearance, I picked up 20,000 of them 10 cents each. Shot them all one time and threw away the hull with less than 10 separations. All did say "USE FOR PRACTICE MAY CONTAIN SOME SUBSTANDARD VELOCITIES" (gave up uploading photo after 5 min. wait)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

eclipse wads