1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

eBay vendor warning

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AveragEd, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm not much of an eBay guy but now and then, I've found gun-related things there I wasn't able to find elsewhere. One of those items is grips for handguns - for example, genuine S&W stocks with great wood figure often show up on there. Another example is 1911 grip panels.

I recently bought a set of nicely-figured 1911 panels advertised as "handmade" and I misunderstood the meaning of that term. Rather than "custom made" or hand-crafted," the seller meant "made in junior high shop class." The edges were chipped and uneven and the finish was fisheyed. The photo of them in the seller's ad wasn't taken from close enough for the woodworking flaws to be evident and the finish had not yet been applied. As soon as I opened their packaging, I knew they would never be on a gun of mine.

Although I had violated one of my cardinal rules of Internet buying (never buy anything without a return option), I contacted the seller about returning them anyway. He agreed to accept them less his original shipping charges IF I left positive feedback for him. That REALLY tripped my trigger and I told him that it would be worth the $40 I paid him for these two pieces of kindling to help others avoid this pitfall.

If you ever find yourself about to purchase something on eBay from "i.doug" (Doug Parke, 5526 Saltsburg Road, Verona, PA 15147), think about this post.

Ed

averaged_2008_0303316.jpg

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Sorry that you got caught.

It has happened to me twice. I didn't read what I should have. Read slowly and every word. Look the pic's over carefuly. One item was a protactor. The KID was selling it and he didn't tell you that it was locked up with rust. Looked good outside but locked up. I sent a harsh email back to him and scared him s bad he went to dad. LOL I really didn't know he was a kid till the father told me. Anyway the father said he has corrected his sons ways and that all the money will be sent back. Good father.

The second item was a minnow trap. All it was was a 2 liter plastic coke top end cut off and put on a mason jar. In the pic it all looked to be glass. Damn good pic taking so you thought it was glass. He also did good wording on the add to sell it. I got my money back also.

I have been lucky on those two. read every word carefully and understand each word. Look the pic over with care and think are they showing me all of the item. Email the seller with all the questions you want answered. If there is a problem now you have a record of asking questions for a Ebay fight.

Questions to ask

Does it work?
    Condition
    Mark's
    New or used
    Do you pack your items well when shipping
    Insurance.
    Tracking and so on.

By asking those questions you cover yourself when you have to go after someone on Ebay. If you don't then there may not be to much you can do.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Been burned there too. Fortunately mine wasn't an expensive mistake. I attempted to contact the seller and they would not return my messages. I left some feedback that expressed my discontent. That is the place it will hurt them most as EBay will pull their membership if they receive too much negative feedback. It was a lesson learned for me.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you paid by paypal, there is a probability they will get your money back for you. If you can't get satisfaction from the seller, file a dispute with ebay.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Another thing to do is to look at their ratings then go and read the neg feedbacks if there are any. I have passed on things because of their bad ratings and bad feedback. VERY IMPORTANTTO DO THIS.

6. Loyac

Loyac Member

AveragEd... This happened to me once. Open a case with eBay, and let them mediate the issue. My case was ruled in my favor and I got a 100% refund.

7. AveragEd

Thank you for the input. Fortunately, this wasn't a costly item like a firearm or something and I can afford the lesson I learned. My buddy Vern PMed me and wants to try refinishing them - I might do that.

The grips were and the ones he has on there now are advertised as new, which they are. His ad states "no returns" but I exchanged some emails with him about what finish I wanted. In them, he "sounded" like an okay guy so I hit the "Buy Now" button.

I did leave negative feedback for him and the eBay website directed me to their dispute system. But as I used PayPal as a guest instead of a member, I am not eligible for a "protest" or whatever they call it. I was a PayPal member many years ago; I received emails monthly about my account having been compromised and such and later learned they are anti-gun, so I closed the account and will not open another.

I know a lot of us like nice wood and are also interested in firearms other than shotguns. Even though I've never met most of the posters on here, I consider us friends and wanted to forewarm everyone about this guy.

Ed

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

I once bought a Perazzi stock that was advertised as usable on a DB81. When I got it I found that it was a skeet stock. Realized my mistake and tried to return it but seller wanted a glowing remark on feed back. His poor statement was one of the reasons for the mistake. Wanted to say nothing. He would not budge on the issue. Sold the stock on GunBroker and give him a negative feedback.

I will not buy off EBay anymore because of problems like this.

T

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Ed, if you have a fireplace those pieces of wood would make good kindling.

10. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

This all happens for two simple reasons. The first is an attempt to deceieve by the seller because he wants to get rid of the item for more money than it is worth. The second is that we do not all operate to the same standard. NIB is easily defined. Can anyone out there really define what 97% blue means? It is supposed to mean that 97% of the area is covered with blue. How do you define the area. Measure it??? Nope,you guess. 3 things needed---Great photos;verbal discussion about the item;a written agreement for return & its conditions. Otherwise don't buy it ot take your chances if you really want it.
    Writing negative comments does help but the baddies will usually write bad about you to protect themselves and you will never be able to defend yourself as you should have not bought the item.

11. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

If you used paypal,you always have a return option. File a case. Even if you didn't use paypal, file a case. He is using also blackmailing you for feedback, and ebay does not look kindly on that. Send all your correspondence to ebay. If you used paypal, they will give your money back, plus shipping and return shipping. You must show a tracking number to show you returned the item before they refund you. I won't put up with people not describing flaws, or not packing well enough to prevent damage. Not usually worth my time, but I'd return the item after going through the proper channels and leave negative feedback anyhow. They cannot leave a negative in return if the case wins in your favor. I don't think posting someone's name and address on the web out of anger is a good idea. Also, the ebay ID you posted is a user from Ca., not Pa. Good luck.

12. AveragEd

Happy ending to report!

The seller, who IS from Pennsylvania and whose ID is "i.doug," sent me an email taking me to task for giving him negative feedback and withdrawing his offer to take the grips back and refund my money less his original shipping charges in return for positive feedback. I in turn told him that if he really gave a hoot about how the quality and workmanship of his product is perceived, he would provide me with an email address capable of received a file as large as a photo (his eBay address wouldn't accept it). He eventually did provide a Verizon address and I sent him the above photo and nicely stated that I was hoping he would be shocked by what he saw.

Apparently he was. He immediately credited my PayPal account (which I had to set up) with $50, $6 more than I paid for the grips to, I suppose, cover my shipping costs. Of course, right now, eBay tells me that "not all my account information is available" but I saw the $50 credit last night. I just want to get it transferred to my credit union checking account, cancel the PayPal account and never cave in to buying something without a return option.

By the way, a buyer is only able to make use of eBay's guarantee (whatever they call it) if they used PayPal to pay for the item AND had a PayPal account at the time. When I attempted to file a claim a day or so ago, I was advised that I was not eligible for the service because I used PayPal as a "guest."

I posted his identity not out of anger but to let others know about my experience. That seems to be what most of us want to see when another poster vents about a bad transaction. After going so long without hearing from him or getting a reply to my last email, I'm assuming that someone who knows him saw my post and told him he might want to do something, as his verbiage in his emails did a complete 180 in tone.

Ed

13. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

Ed, small typo in the ebay user I.D.- It's actually "l.doug" (lower case L) rather than "i.doug".

14. tachyon

tachyon Member

Ebay gives discounts on "final value fees" for "Top Rated Sellers". This is earned by selling a certain amount in a year and having a positive feedback rating above a certain number. This discount can be 20%. It is significant and a negative feedback can impact a seller in the pocketbook.

Ebay will also reduce your visibility as a seller if you have too much negative feedback. So the "best match" will not show some sellers items if they fall below a certain feedback level.