1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ebay feedback?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

A kid (23 now) who used to work for me has been looking for a truck. He has been looking on ebay. He has found one he likes and can afford in Texas. It is with a big ebay seller in a Houston suburb. The "autocheck" report gives it high marks. The ebay feedback on this seller is 100% with hundreds of transactions. I thought that was strange because there is always a malcontent out there somewhere. Anyway I looked to see what "Yelp" had to say about this place. Plenty of bad, negative reviews. Strange - ebay all positive and yelp over half negative. Anybody know if there is a way to manipulate ebay reviews, and can you trust ebay feedback.

I will say the kid has bid on this truck several times and has been high bidder but the reserve was not met. This place recently contacted him and told him what the reserve price is. They offered to sell it to him outright, outside of ebay, they are about $500 apart now.

Hundreds of ebay sales and no bad feedback???

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I have 401 feedbacks on ebay, and no negs. I don't believe there is a way to manipulate feedback on ebay.

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I'm glad you guys have great feedback.

I just figure it being a car business there is always going to be somebody unhappy.

The ebay feedback doesn't jibe with what is on "Yelp". Something is out of whack.

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

What is the sellers user name? I also know a buyer in Houston, if still there.Ray

5. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

A lot of big sellers on ebay will go out of their way to make sure anyone with a gripe gets satisfied rather than posting negative feedback.

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

IF he does buy a truck on Ebay make sure he gets the buyer insurance. In other words Ebay in some way will cover his ass if the truck is a bucket of bolts. Not worth repairing. Look for it and get it. I had a friend who bout a car and had the insurance. He was glad he had it. The car was junk. Your friend will either have to go get it or have it shipped. Shipping isn't cheap. Buy a local truck that you can take it to your local shop and have them go over it to make sureits in good condition.

7. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

To answer your question I know of no way to manupulate feedback that a buyer receives. I'm at well over 4000 and 99.7% positive, but you are right, there is always some A-ho that ruins the 100%. Some have been way out there, more often than not involving an item lost in international customs, but whenever I contact E-bay they will not change the buyer's negative feedback against me. So I'm at a loss as to how that dealership could "scrub" their ratings.
    I now have 2 friends who have srerately bought pickups off E bay from a large Texas dealership, flew down, drove home to NE, and are still happy with their dealings.
    dju

8. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Life will be good for the seller as long as EBay doesn't find out he's negotiating a sale of a listed item outside of EBAY. They do not look kindly on that. That would make them into a free advertising service..........

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The way its done is this way. The buyer gets some Neg Feedback but with all the sales he makes there after it some what disappears within the averages.

10. TARGET1

TARGET1 Member

I've wondered how sellers get away with selling listed items outside of Ebay. I've bid on multiple ATV's only to find out that the auction ended many days early. When I contacted the seller (dealer)asking why it ended, they said some people can't wait till auction ends to buy. There was no "reserve", no "buy it now", and no "make offer" option. Hmmm???????

11. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

I have a feedback in the thousands with today's average at 99.7%. I have in the past had Ebay remove negative feedback if the Buyer was waaay out of line or vulgar / hostile. Very rare that they will do it. The negatives that I have received are from Buyers that just can't admit they made a mistake, or want you to pay for their error. If I mess up a deal I make it right and then some, you may still get a negative for it but perhaps it was deserved.

12. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I have had very good luck buying and selling on Ebay with excellent feedback.

However, when it comes to vehicles, I want to look at it myself, or hire a qualified person to do so.

Regards.....Gerald

13. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Look at what the seller's feedback is for. Sometimes sellers have high feedback from buying and selling other stuff. Truthfully, unless your boy's buying new or going to see the vehicle before bidding, he's is better off buying a vehicle local where he can inspect it and drive it personally, and then have it inspected by a mechanic or dealer.

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think eBay allows ways to "manage" feedback scores. I once bought a pair of hand-made 1911 grip panels on eBay and this is what arrived in my mailbox.

[​IMG]

I contacted the seller with a polite email regarding the fish-eyed finish but received a boiler-plate "no returns" reply. So I posted negative feedback for him but it wasn't accepted. I was instructed not to post feedback until I had exhausted every means of rectifying the problem with the seller. So I emailed him again, saying that I would like him to look at a photo of his work, which he declined to do. So I reposted the feedback, which involved jumping through numerous hoops as soon and the poor scores were selected, and posted a warning about him on here. It wasn't a huge amount of money and I placed the panels in the trash.

The next day, I received a scathing email from him taking me to task for ruining his perfect feedback rating and saying that he was having eBay delete my remarks. I replied that if he was half the ethical businessman he claimed to be, he would look at a photo of the goods I received and after depositing his lunch in his nearest trash can, would refund my money and pay to have the panels shipped back to him.

He grudgingly agreed to look at a photo and I have to say that minutes after I sent the email, he called me to apologize and while we were speaking, refunded my money and even did include the return shipping costs.

But I remain distrustful of eBay's ratings system.

Ed

15. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Well the dealer sold the truck so I guess that takes care of that. Looks like that place sells a lot of cars/trucks through ebay. Still it amazes me they have 100% positive feedback, then you go to "Yelp" and they get trashed.

He has already found another truck through autotrader up in Chicago. He wants me to ride up with him and look at it. It is a 2002 with low miles. I don't know how smart that is either? In the old days we tended to stay away from Northern cars because of the salt. I know vehicles built in the later years are a lot more rust resistant. Any thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.