1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eating-I saw this

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The last time that I was at a Mason shoot, I seen a fairly well known Trap shooter and friend of mine (a BIG guy) go up to the "by the ounce" breakfast bar and rack up a waluping 10 bucks worth of eggs, pancakes, sausage gravy, hash, cerial, grits and potatoes and then proceed to eat it. I asked this fella "Don, how can you shoot after eating such a stupendously HUGE breakfast?" Then, he just kinda snickered and said "That's what us REAL Trap shooters do Bowa" (I figured that "Bowa" was some sort of demeaning slang for "boy", but I didn't let it bother me very much because I had to shoot with this grouchy old bast*%d in the team shoot).

I must say, he did shoot very well that morning...but, he was right back at it for lunch. I couldn't bear to go through this humiliation again, so I left after the shoot.

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Tron, have you forgotten how many ribs that I can eat? It's the mark of a true shooter. I never see any skinny guys win anything.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

That twernt nuten Tron! A runnen mate of mine and I could take anyone on anytime, anyplace. Has Don ever closed down a resturant? Ever been asked to leave if they refunded his money? THis can be substantiated... Most of our witnesses were amused. You must have a powerfully weak stomach, "Bowa".

Of course we both become civilized now and don't do them childish acts of behavior.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha...Tron...check this out!

Take Bacon. Add Sausage. Blog.

Don Ipock for The New York Times
    The Bacon Explosion is a rolled concoction that can be baked or cooked in a smoker. More Photos >

By DAMON DARLIN
    Published: January 27, 2009
    FOR a nation seeking unity, a recipe has swept the Internet that seems to unite conservatives and liberals, gun owners and foodies, carnivores and ... well, not vegetarians and health fanatics.
    Skip to next paragraph
    Multimedia
    Slide Show
    Pig, Pig and More Pig
    Related
    Recipe: Bacon Explosion (January 28, 2009)

Don Ipock for The New York Times
    Woven bacon has sausage on top, then some cooked bacon. More Photos »
    Certainly not the vegetarians and health fanatics.
    This recipe is the Bacon Explosion, modestly called by its inventors “the BBQ Sausage Recipe of all Recipes.” The instructions for constructing this massive torpedo-shaped amalgamation of two pounds of bacon woven through and around two pounds of sausage and slathered in barbecue sauce first appeared last month on the Web site of a team of Kansas City competition barbecuers. They say a diverse collection of well over 16,000 Web sites have linked to the recipe, celebrating, or sometimes scolding, its excessiveness. A fresh audience could be ready to discover it on Super Bowl Sunday.
    Where once homegrown recipes were disseminated in Ann Landers columns or Junior League cookbooks, new media have changed — and greatly accelerated — the path to popularity. Few recipes have cruised down this path as fast or as far as the Bacon Explosion, and this turns out to be no accident. One of its inventors works as an Internet marketer, and had a sophisticated understanding of how the latest tools of promotion could be applied to a four-pound roll of pork.
    The Bacon Explosion was born shortly before Christmas in Roeland Park, Kan., in Jason Day’s kitchen. He and Aaron Chronister, who anchor a barbecue team called Burnt Finger BBQ, were discussing a challenge from a bacon lover they received on their Twitter text-messaging service: What could the barbecuers do with bacon?
    At the same time, Mr. Chronister wanted to get attention for their Web site, BBQAddicts.com. More traffic would bring in more advertising income, which they needed to fund a hobby that can cost thousands of dollars.
    Mr. Day, a systems administrator who has been barbecuing since college, suggested doing something with a pile of sausage. “It’s a variation of what’s called a fattie in the barbecue community,” Mr. Day said. “But we took it to the extreme.”
    He bought about $20 worth of bacon and Italian sausage from a local meat market. As it lay on the counter, he thought of weaving strips of raw bacon into a mat. The two spackled the bacon mat with a layer of sausage, covered that with a crunchy layer of cooked bacon, and rolled it up tight.
    They then stuck the roll — containing at least 5,000 calories and 500 grams of fat — in the Good-One Open Range backyard smoker that they use for practice. (In competitions, they use a custom-built smoker designed by the third member of the team, Bryant Gish, who was not present at the creation of the Bacon Explosion.)
    Mr. Day said his wife laughed the whole time. “She’s very supportive of my hobby,” he said.
    The two men posted their adventure on their Web site two days before Christmas. On Christmas Day, traffic on the site spiked to more than 27,000 visitors.
    Mr. Chronister explained that the Bacon Explosion “got so much traction on the Web because it seems so over the top.” But Mr. Chronister, an Internet marketer from Kansas City, Mo., did what he could to help it along. He first used Twitter to send short text messages about the recipe to his 1,200 Twitter followers, many of them fellow Internet marketers with extensive social networks. He also posted links on social networking sites. “I used a lot of my connections to get it out there and to push it,” he said.
    The Bacon Explosion posting has since been viewed about 390,000 times. It first found a following among barbecue fans, but quickly spread to sites run by outdoor enthusiasts, off-roaders and hunters. (Several proposed venison-sausage versions.) It also got mentions on the Web site of Air America, the liberal radio network, and National Review, the conservative magazine. Jonah Goldberg at NationalReview.com wrote, “There must be a reason one reader after another sends me this every couple hours.” Conservatives4palin.com linked, too.
    So did regular people. A man from Wooster, Ohio, wrote that friends had served it at a bon voyage party before his 10-day trip to Israel, where he expected bacon to be in short supply. “It wasn’t planned as a send-off for me to Israel, but with all of the pork involved it sure seemed like it,” he wrote.
    About 30 people sent in pictures of their Explosions. One sent a video of the log catching fire on a grill.
    Mr. Day said that whether it is cooked in an oven or in a smoker, the rendered fat from the bacon keeps the sausage juicy. But in the smoker, he said, the smoke heightens the flavor of the meats.
    Nick Pummell, a barbecue hobbyist in Las Vegas, learned of the recipe from Mr. Chronister’s Twittering. He made his first Explosion on Christmas Day, when he and a group of friends also had a more traditional turkey. “This was kind of the dessert part,” he said. “You need to call 911 after you are done. It was awesome.”
    Mr. Chronister said the main propellant behind the Bacon Explosion’s spread was a Web service called StumbleUpon, which steers Web users toward content they are likely to find interesting. Readers tell the service about their professional interests or hobbies, and it serves up sites to match them. More than 7 million people worldwide use the service in an attempt to duplicate serendipity, the company says.
    Mr. Chronister intended to send the post to StumbleUpon, but one of his readers beat him to it. It appeared on the front page of StumbleUpon for three days, which further increased traffic.
    Mr. Chronister also littered his site with icons for Digg, Del.icio.us and other sites in which readers vote on posts or Web pages they like, helping to spread the word. “Alright this is going on Digg,” a commenter wrote minutes after the Explosion was posted. “Already there,” someone else answered.
    Some have claimed that the Bacon Explosion is derivative. A writer known as the Headless Blogger posted a similar roll of sausage and bacon in mid-December. Mr. Chronister and Mr. Day do not claim to have invented the concept.
    But they do vigorously defend their method. When one commenter dared to suggest that the two hours in the smoker could be slashed to a mere 30 minutes if the roll was first cooked in a microwave oven, Mr. Chronister snapped back. “Microwave??? Seriously? First, the proteins in the meats will bind around 140 degrees, so putting it on the smoker after that is pointless as it won’t absorb any smoke flavor,” he responded on his site. “This requires patience and some attention. It’s not McDonald’s.”

5. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Tron,,you need to stay away from guys like that,,,needless to say by the end of the day this guy Don was completely full of shit,,,,,

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I must say, that does look pretty damn good!

7. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Ahab,,I'd eat dat,,,,

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A slice of that beauty, a fried egg, a hunk of Cheese between a large sourdough bisuit.........

Oof!

HM

9. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Breakfast Tron style.

Rock

Jim

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Must have been BigDon..........

11. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

I hope he waited 30 minutes before shooting…that’s what my momma always told me.

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Tron , if I could put my fork down I'd respond to this post!

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Mark Phelps diet:

Breakfast: Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks

The link takes you to where you can figure out how many calories the average trap shooter does after the shoot in his exercise regimen. :D :D :D :D :D

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Tron,
    I thought you had guns to work on.

Maybe this damn cold has made you yearn for better times and thoughts of Mason. Why did you spoil your fantasy by remembering the Big fellow? He must be hibernating but he will get you when he awakes in the spring.

See you this weekend if the weather warms to over 20 as predicted. I may have something for you.

Don

15. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Speaking of food. Fun to watch Man versus Food and Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern. Coming from a guy that will eat about anything, Zimmern eats "stuff" I would never put my lips on.

16. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Why isn't that guy on "Man -vs- Food" as big as a barn.....Do you suppose that he purges? That guy can pack it away!

PS You haven't lived until you've eaten at Permanti (spelling?) Bros. in the strip district in Pittsburgh. Every sandwich has slaw and french fries on it. I've be4en there and there is (hardly) a sandwich that can compare (I'm sure someone will argue that point) The place was featured on "Man -vs- Food" a couple of weeks ago. Are we sure that a guy that can eat that much is not really a trapshooter? LOL

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

17. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Hey! Stop this at once! I'm on Weight Watchers with wife and this really hurts. Thanks Joe (and I thought you were a good guy).

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You want to eat food that coat your arteries. Makes em stronger.

19. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I'll agree Jerry. Did you see him slurp down all those oysters? 15 dozen! If he doesn't purge, he better flush a couple times while doing his business!!!!!

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I found the key to eating more is less talking to keep from taking in to much air which then has to be displaced by food and it takes longer to eat a meal if you talk all the time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.