1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"EasyHit" front sight...Pro's & Con's???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grnberetcj, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I've been suffering from an eye dominance problem for 3 years now and am thinking of trying the EasyHit fiber-optic beads.

If anyone has used this product, I'd like to know your opinion, good or bad.

Thanks in advance.

Curt - Delaware

2. dzeh

dzeh Member

I've been using the HiViz Magni-Optic Shotgun Sight with very good results. Every so often my left eye would pick up the sight and I would get distracted. I put the Magni-Optic sight on and now when I mount the gun my left eye cannot pick up the sight bead at all. I liked that this sight mounted using the same screw on my Beretta's sight. Not one of those magnetic or adhesive type sights. You might want to check HiViz's website.

3. 5shot

5shot TS Member

Curt,

The "Easy-Hit" is a good example of this type of sight. It may or may not help with the eye dominance problem but it may be worth a try. If it doesn't work, the "Magic-Dot" type approach is probably your next step.

Another approach which some people can do is to close the off eye as their gun approaches the target. This is difficult to do but works well since it lets you get a better read on what the bird is doing before the eye is closed.

The last resort is to shoot with "one eye". There are some really great shooters who do.

Good luck,
    Bill C.

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Curt

Have you tried a sight-blinder I think it's sold thru meadow industies .

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Of all the glow worms, I like the Easy Hit the best because you can see it in you peripheral vision. It did not stop my cross firing, and it promoted aiming. I took them off and went to 1-eyed shooting using Magic Dots or tape. I'm still learning how to shoot all over again.

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

easyhit sights

I took mine off. They were just too distracting. It may or may not have helped with cross firing BUT there is nothing worse than an oversize glowing dot in an even larger tunnel to promote a "bead check" which is almost always a lost bird. I have 2 hardly used VARI-BRITE-SITE IIIs with all three "beads" for each that I will sell you for $20 if you really want to try them.

--- Chip King ---

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

A lot of readers have asked for my opinion on them. My advice always is that anything that can distract your eye(s) from the target will hurt your scores.

If those things - and "glow worm" is my pet name for them, too - were better and improved scores, don't you think every target shotgun made would have them from the factory so the makers could claim higher scores with their guns?

Ed

8. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I put one of these sights on my gun a while ago and my scores went down. I took it off and my scores went back up right away. In my opinion, it draws your attention away from the target.

9. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

I bought two EasyHits - you'd think I would have learned. Anyway, I have to throw in with the "Distractor" crowd. I must be a little ADD or something, but - especially on straightaways when I almost HAVE to track the bead for a split-second on the rise - all I can think of is "Wow! That's cool!"

To be fair to EasyHit, even without it I find myself just having called for a bird and thinking to myself "Gee I like Cookies and Cream ice cream".

Steve

10. Chris

Chris TS Member

Best thing since sliced butter.

I wouldn't be without one!

Chris

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've installed Uni-Dots on all of my shotguns and shotgun barrels with the exception of my cowboy shotgun, which the sport does not sanction them, and my rifle sighted barrels. That's 8 for me, 2 for my son, and 1 for my daugher, making 11 that I;ve bought. If they didn't work, I wouldn't buy them.<br>
    <br>
    Having said that, if you cannot focus on the clay and use only your peripheral vision for the dot, they won't work. You cannot look directly at the bead or get distracted by it. And it will take a bit of time to get used to it. Took me two months before I surpassed my pre-Uni-Dot scores.

12. Alex Ragulsky

Alex Ragulsky TS Member

I have used the Easy Hits for probably 8 years or so. I like them and even use them on my hunting shotguns. Although my trap scores are down this year (leg problems) I can honestly say that they helped my shooting, a lot!

Much like my PFS I wouldn't want to shoot trap without them.

Respectfully,

Alex Ragulsky

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Thanks for the input everyone...appreciate your time and advice!!

Curt

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Brian, how true!

"Having said that, if you cannot focus on the clay and use only your peripheral vision for the dot, they won't work."

This also applies the bead/barrel/rib or whatever method used for shotgunning.

Alex, good to see your informative posts again guy!! Hap

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I wonder how many All-Americans use one...

Ed

16. Charlie Leavitt

Charlie Leavitt TS Member

Ed,
    All Americans? How about Harlan Campbell - Hi Viz green, Jerry Demulling - green also. Neil Winston was trying red but I don't know if he stuck with it. I am sure there are others I'm not aware of.
    Browning puts Hi Viz sights on their XT and Cynergy trap guns.
    I like the Meadow Industries red. It allows me to be aware of the barrel location while looking at the target. If I use a white bead my scores are one or two targets lower.
    I've done enough CIE color research to know that we all experience color somewhat differently. There can be no universal color prescriptions. This subject might make for an interesting "Average Ed" column.
    Charlie Leavitt

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you're looking at the site, your not looking at the bird. Result: lost, lost, lost. Anything that make your eye go to the bead rather than the bird is not good for your shooting

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Ok her goes No sight will help you shoot better. Harlan is a friend of mine, and he along with the other shooters mentioned have an incentive given by the manufactures; either win a shoot and we will pay you so much or a straight cash payment for an endorsement. When a well known National Champion Sporting Clays shooter started shooting with a green Glow plug I asked him what it was doing on his gun and the public statement by him was "they sponsor me." later when the crowd dissipated he walked over to me and said " Joey If I see it I know I'm doing something wrong.".
    Joe Goldberg

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have a HiViz on ALL my target shotguns.

Nothing MAKES a person look at the front bead except a lack of discipline. I MAKE myself look at the bird. As was said above, when I see the bead during a shot, I am doing something wrong.

20. 2labman

2labman Member

I find it truly amazing how many do not seem to know the difference between 'looking' at somtehing and 'seeing' something!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.