1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Easy Way to Increase Handicap Difficulty

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Jul 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Some say that since 27 yard shooters don't feel their handicap, need a more difficult handicap, that a 30 yard line or more is cost-prohibitive for most clubs,impractical, etc. etc....

Well, sitting on my desk is a MIDI target, orange, used in sporting clays. White Flyer Brand. It's smaller than a trap target. Why not throw the very best 27 yard shooters or all 27 yard shooters a smaller target? This midi looks to be about 3.5 inches in diameter. The idea just "hit me", some young cousins of mine visited a shooting park and came home with that target. I just put it on my desk and maybe the target "spoke" to me after a month or so...

And no, I'm usually very bad at fishing, so not trying to fish with this post.

Regards,

David

2. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

That game already exists, sort of. It's called Bunker.

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I'm convinced that many who post ideas here about making things tougher for some shooters, usually the better 27-yards shooters, have never helped run a trap shoot. Most of the clubs I've shot registered targets at now have automatic trap machines, usually Pats or Superstars. They are loaded with hundreds of targets at a time, in stacks in a circular turret at the top of the machine. These stacks fit in the turret contained by rails sized to fit the standard target. I'm fairly sure that if one placed midi targets in those stacks it would cause feeding problems and excessive target breakage. Even if that were not the case, the turrets rotate as targets are thrown, so that replacing standard targets for some shooters with midis would involve emptying ALL of the stacks and replacing the standard targets with midis. Then when the selected shooters are done, the process is done again, replacing midis with standards for the next shooters. Also I presume that the midi targets are probably lighter than the standard, since they are smaller but made of the same material. Isaac Newton of F=MA fame tells me that the lighter targets would fly faster/farther than the standards, so if we adhere to the speed/distance rules, the trap machines would need to be reset every time the targets were changed. Get real! People complain now about the time it takes to shoot a registered program.

The ONLY way to make things more difficult for the best shooters without affecting all others or imposing totally unreasonable time/work additions is to increase maximum yardage.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I think Pocatello's post settles "my" idea..UNTIL maybe, one day trap machines are "set" via PROM'S similiar to those that control automotive engines...or...if a club could afford a modular system wherein an entire turret was changed via a small hoist. But...one notes, cost drives most everything..that and time!!!

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Will not feed properly in automatic traps!!

6. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

From the Pat Trap advertising page:

"No running to get a range mechanic to make simple adjustments! Distance is adjusted with the handle seen on the right. Left and right and elevation are adjusted with the handles on the side."

Set harder targets at the trap and leave everything else as-is. What's so tough about this? Lower everyone's score and the game remains virtually the same with the best score winning.

[​IMG]

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

You mean they wont feed out of SOME automatic traps.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just the automatics that are used on most trapfields!!

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You don't have a clue about the Pats.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

So, lets make all targets 3" for everyone. Harder to see, more difficult to break......

11. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Give it up, for heaven's sake. I don't want to see Trapshooting "Dumbed Down" any further than it already has been. Affirmative Action sucks. J.W.

12. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

You want to make the targets more difficult? How about a release delay, like international skeet. 0 to 3 second delay, just like the old days with the hand pullers. We wouldn't need so many batteries or have to repair so many wires. We could put the pullers back to work and they wouldn't have to be that good either, just push the button whenever they feel like it. Maybe it would improve our shooting too because we would have to really look for and at the target and not move the gun just because we said pull. Since we would be hiring more workers, maybe the clubs could get some stimulus money from Obama.

Ed Yanchok

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Hell, lets go Midi targets, 3 second delay, and 1 oz loads......But EVERYONE has to shoot em. That ought to do it!

14. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

I'm with Setterman. If we're gonna make any targets harder, let's make 'em all harder. As long as we're at it, let's make the extreme angles actually angles. As in, the possibility for a target moving right when seen from post 1 or left when seen from post 5. Then mess with target speed, 1 oz. loads, whatever else floats somebody's boat, but any changes should be uniform - everybody shoots the same targets.

15. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Great idea, Chango. I swear, I almost posted the same thing, last night. I had the White Flyer and Lawry's pages up looking at these very targets, and I almost suggested it, but I backed off, because the old-timers are already upset enough at the suggestion of having to enter events as pros.

16. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Shoot with one Liberal tied behind your back

17. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Come on people. Always wanting to make it more difficult for the 27 yd shooters or better shooters. It wont make a difference. Because the good shooters will just master it like they currently do. They shoot more and are dedicated to the sport and most likely can afford to shoot more. You have to be able to shoot more, practice more whatever if you want to compete. Making it harder so the not so good shooters can get better at winning or competing with the better shooters just AINT gonna happen. Stop trying to penalize the good shooters for being good. Let it rest. FFS.
    Chris

18. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

Where's Ivanhoe to baffle us with his BS??

19. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The whole handicap concept is a failure. Just read the threads!!! Dump it and have a Long Distance event with classes. What could be easier than that?

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Powder blue targets with cloud pictures on them. Cheaper still, black targets and events can only be shot at night (with flashlights).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.