1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Easy recoil fix

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chiefjon, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have been struggling with recoil problems for the past year or more. I flinch, pull off the gun, push the gun away, etc. I have seriously thought about giving up the game. Now, understand, I am using a PFS and most recently shooting 7/8 ths oz or 1 oz loads. Last week, at the PITA shoot I shot a 87 singles followed by a 88 the next day. I have been limiting my shooting to 100 rounds per day to try and deal with the shoulder pain. The DR. said no rotor cup problems and Cortizone only worked for about a month.

While cleaning up my camper, I came across some of that rubber sheeting that you put down on the shelf to keep dishes from moving around. Brain wave!! I tri folded a piece about 12" square and put it on my shoulder and gun mount point under my vest. Singles 97, 95 and 96 the next two days. No residual shoulder pain. Crap, why didn't I think of that sooner. Try it...it might help.

Break em all.

JON

2. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

JON

Patent the thing before someonelse does!!

Berettaman7

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

A poor mans rector pad, good idea.

4. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

GOOEY PAD,just a thought. GOOD LUCK

5. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

Filsons has a shooting shirt with a padded insert that works much better than the Browning reactor insert. A bit pricey, but super nice quality. www.filsons.com Crush 'em all! Bob

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jon..... I have to agree with John and Jimmy Borum. There is definately something wrong with your gun fit. Being that you use a PFS already, the added padding of the rubber sheeting did nothing for the recoil, but did do something to the length of pull and perhaps the pitch angle of the stock. You might try shooting a couple different guns and see it they have the same effect on you. It could be something as simple as a small pitch adjustment, etc..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Thanks guys. I agree there could be some fit issues. I am going to play with it a bit. That is why we have the PFS units, isn't it. I use a Gooey pad. This unit is set a about 15 1/4 in. It is pretty long. Clearly something ain't right.

JON

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I would probably go with pitch as well. Jon, I have seen you shoot, and I watched you shoot at the PITA state shoot. I have noticed something that you may not be aware of. Email me at trap2danatyahoodotcom. I think I may be able to help you.....Dan

9. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

10. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Hey Jon one more thing to consider, I am not sure what you shoot for a gun, but you might want to consdier adding weight, I have not met a gun yet that can't stand a little. It just might smooth out your swing on top of it. Get a rod in a vise and get it to balance on or close to the hinge pin. Front or back weight will help with that recoil.

GS

11. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, FWIW I've found the best way to reduce recoil is to wear earplugs AND earmuffs. No noise...no recoil...no flinch. Cheers-Graham.

12. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I ended up installing two tapered shims behind the recoil pad of my PFS on my Ljutic to provide the necessary down pitch for the proper shoulder contact. Since their installation, no problem, much more comfortable to shoot. I can't believe that PFS hasn't developed that adjustment within their robo stock, it adjusts for everything else.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.