1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Easy Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

What is porting of a barrel?

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

OMG!!!

AndyH :-/

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Porting is the little holes or slots or half moons or what ever near the end of the barrel. An contrary to popular belief and the claims of those that do the porting as far as I am concerned they serve no useful purpose.

[​IMG]

Bob Lawless

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Porting is a series of holes machined into the end of the shotgun barrel. The objective is to reduce muzzle flip and percieved recoil. Whether porting actually does this is debatable, I think there is some reduction of the flip. I wouldn't pay to have a barrel ported but I wouldn't pass up a deal on a used gun because it was nicely ported either.

People that detest porting usually comment that porting fouls up with plastic wad material and is difficult for them to clean. Another common complaint is that the porting makes the gun louder.

6. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

For a left hand shooter it can be a real problem...

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

BOB, I gotta ask.... Why????????

Southpaw inclined...

Jim

8. KRK32

KRK32 Member

Ive always thought if barrel jumps it means your pitch and fit on your stock is not right for you. Kirk

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

N.J. BOB--- UH i gotta see how you shoot if porting can be a problem for a lefty. Thats about the dumbest thing i've heard.----Matt

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It works. High school level physics dictates that expelling gas in an upward direction will create a downforce that is going to run against the upward motion of the gun.

Now you have to understand that many people can not perceive a difference, some will cling to the days before ports were used, and some will recognize that there is a benefit.

How much is subjective.

HM

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The opposite of starboarding?

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Nice catch Tim

13. ivanhoe

halfmile

"High school level physics dictates that expelling gas in an upward direction will create a downforce that is going to run against the upward motion of the gun."

I don't have an argument with this statement as the laws of physics are pretty much etched in stone.

I will however ask as both of the guns pictured are single barrel. Just what benefit will be reaped by eliminating muzzle flip in a single shot game. Talking about Singles and Handicap that is I will concede that in doubles there is a slight benefit from ported barrels but not enough to defray the cost of the porting(after market that is)

Bob Lawless

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A waste og money.........

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- The upward movement of the barrel could, in some, direct more recoil force toward the cheek. Both porting and increasing pitch tend to move the recoil toward the shoulder. Neither reduce recoil but can redirect recoil away from the face.

Pat Ireland

16. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I agree with Ivanhoe that there is no advantage to porting a single barrel. On doubles maybe. We had this discussion on Wednesday at our local league night. The consensus was that it was money spent to just pretty up your gun.
    bill

17. ivanhoe

Pat if The Gun comes from the factory ported and I want the gun then that is fine.

However buying a gun and then sending it out and spending more money to port barrels on such convincing words as, "could", "tend", or "can" under the guise of a possible change in felt recoil is not a strong enough reason for me to spend the money.

IMO this is just another way to get money out of shooters because it might help reduce felt recoil. Which puts us squarely in the middle of the felt recoil argument. An argument which can't(at least hasn't so far on this site) be proved.

Now I don't wish to rehash the same old argument but I believe that this is a placebo just like all sugar pills. Of course everyone must understand this is just how I feel. Based on my own experience of having had a gun that was ported and changing to a gun that was not and gaining nothing score wise. Results may vary after all it is a perceived matter we are speaking of.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.