1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Eastern Sportsman Show in PA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 9point3, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9point3

9point3 Member

Should we boycott it?

http://articles.philly.com/2013-01-16/news/36376200_1_gun-show-assault-weapons-assault-rifle
  2. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

On one hand, perhaps. On the other, you might be boycotting something that never existed.

I know the show draws people from all over the northeast and Canada but it must be remembered that only manually-operated firearms are legal for hunting any game animals in Pennsylvania, even woodchucks. Beyond that, this show is and always has been billed as a "sportsmen's" show with an emphasis on hunting and fishing in all their ads and on all their area billboards. It certainly isn't and never has been a "gun show." I wish it was but it isn't.

The site of the show is just 20 miles from my home and we attend at least once every year. ASIDE FROM FIREARMS, if there is something you want for hunting and fishing, you'll find it there. But it never has been a place to buy "gun stuff" - ammo, parts, magazines and so forth - and there aren't many guns of any kind actually for sale there. I honestly cannot recall there ever being much to do with "black guns" on display. Since the vast majority of the show's attendees have little interest in them due to hunting laws if nothing else and considering the very high cost of having a booth there, that's understandable.

In other words, the show is not eliminating something it always offered. From a positive perspective, it just is saving people who might be attending with those items in mind the ten bucks to park and $14.00 per ticket admission.

My best advice if you will be attending for the first time is wear your most comfortable shoes. It's a huge show and due to the crowded corridors, it takes time to walk through it and your view of many displays is blocked by humanity. Especially on the weekend days, it's really hard to see it all in one trip through it.

Ed

Disclaimer: Before anyone accuses me of being anti-gun (that happened once on here), allow me to state that I respect ALL gun owners' rights. When I owned a sport-touring motorcycle, I said that although I think choppers are the most ungainly to ride and possibly unsafe handling motorcycles out there, I would stand beside the owners of them if there was a threat of them being outlawed. Similarly, although I have no interest in "black guns," I will support the rights of those who do. I just think this Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show boycott thing might be over-reacting for the reasons stated above.
  3. pyrdek

pyrdek Active Member

Average Ed,

Although it is a very small percentage of PA hunters, there are a few who ARE allowed the use of semi-automatic weapons for big game hunting in PA. Listed below is a portion of the Game Commission's pages pertaining to the use by disabled persons regarding use of semi-auto weapons.
    Semiautomatic Firearm for Big Game
    (No Permit Required)

Minimum Qualifications: Amputation or total loss of use of one or both hands.

Qualified Persons May: Use a semiautomatic shotgun, rifle, or pistol to take deer or bear. Firearms must be modified to one shell in the chamber and no more than four shells in the magazine.

Thus there is indeed a use for semi-auto rifles and handguns for hunting in PA.

Not only that but the beginning push against semi-autos may start with the "low hanging fruit" of "Evil Black Rifles" but do you think that "they" will be happy to stop after "they" eliminate rifles? "They" have already started on semi-auto pistols. How long before semi-auto shotguns are the next thing in "their" quest to eliminate? If you do not make a very emphatic beat down of someone attacking you and instead just choose to sit back, they are only even more emboldened to attack harder the next time.

This holds true for criminals. None of them started with a $7,000,000 armored car robbery. More likely it was a strong arm robbery at a Mom&Pop corner store. Next might be some armed robbery at a gas station and eventually going on to bank jobs and more violent attacks. If they got beat down hard on the first attempt, they might not want to try a second attempt. The exact same principle holds true for the anti-gun crowd. Part of the reason we have the problems today is that for far to many years most gun owners were not willing to strongly beat back the early efforts at gun registration and confiscation. That started way back in the 1930's because "They won't be bothering MY guns." Well guess what, now they ARE "bothering" your guns.

At the risk of being redundant, the same thing that holds for criminals holds for politicians. Beat them down HARD and you reduce the desire to do it again.

A boycott is warranted if for no other reason these Brits have forgotten what happened when England took away almost all civilians weapons prior to 1940 and then, having no armed civilians, had to beg the people of the U.S. to give them some weapons to repel the Germans back in WW II.

I will NOT be attending this show. You can make your own choice.
  4. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

I apologize for not knowing about our Game Commission's policy regarding physically disabled hunters.

And I agree 100% with your logic regarding the logical progression of gun bans. Klinton proved that when he got his assault weapons ban passed and immediately went after handguns. That's why I used the motorcycle analogy in my first post - give 'em an inch...

Ed
  5. pyrdek

pyrdek Active Member

Look at the section, on the web, of the official PGC web pages, specifically Disabled Permits. Here is the full URL and a quick link. The specific about semi-autos is towards the lower half of the page.

Link

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=596042&mode=2
  6. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Please stand with us and boycott the Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show!

https://www.facebook.com/BoycottTheEasternSportsAndOutdoorShow
  7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Active Member

While some talk....

Cabela's pulls sponsorship from Eastern Sports and Outdoor Show
  8. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

Facebookers and Tweeters must think that everyone Facebooks and Tweets. Some of us aren't important enough for everyone to want to know our every move so if you want everyone to read your post, put it where everyone can access it.

Ed
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.