1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EAST TENNESSEE RELOCATION

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gdbabin, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My wife and I are in the beginning throws of familiarizing ourselves with north east Tennessee with the intent of investing in a permanent home site. We currently reside in Maryland and are beginning to get serious about fleshing-out our plans for retirement. We are attracted to the seeming retirement friendly elements offered by the region, in addition to its centralized proximity to a wide swath of the eastern seaboard. We are primarily looking for a parcel of acreage, perhaps an old farm site with a combination of open and forested elements, but we really have no hard and fast absolutes beyond great value and country serenity within easy reach of modern services.

Later this coming fall we will be in a position to purchase outright a property, with the expectation of establishing a permanent domicile there a couple of years thereafter once our mortgage in Maryland is paid-off. Leading up to this fall we want to learn all we can about the area; to begin the process of acclimating ourselves to the culture and lay of the land, to learn the realities of the real estate market in the region; and most importantly, to begin developing relationships with locals in both business and personal domains.

We have been researching information on the internet and have contacted the Johnson City Chamber of Commerce for a relocation guide. We are also planning a long weekend trip within a month or so to the area. Any advice, referral, and/or direction from those of you who live in the area would be warmly appreciated.

Guy Babin

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Bristol area is real nice Guy..and fairly close to rt81 making VA, NC, PA etc a breeze to get to with lots of nice places for shooting...make sure your guest room is nice for when I visit to hunt hogs n such with you : )

3. lboh

lboh Member

The area is nice. I am about 60 miles away in NC and we visit the area on a regular basis for various reasons including the link I posted. Don't lose that link if you like BBQ

Over the years, the area has been hit like most of the country with a loss of jobs. I don't think of the area as being a hub of influx, so you should be able to find some good deals on land. Plenty of areas around that will have a combination of pasture and forest/mountain.

For the most part, you will find a lot of very good people with traditions and ties to the area dating back many generations.

Watauga lake is not too far away, outside of Elizabethton (15 minutes from Johnson City) if you like to boat

In terms of trap, there are good clubs with regular ATA events within a 2 hour drive in TN & NC

4. mlml1944

mlml1944 Member

Ilive 11 miles south of johnson city in a little town called erwin tn. starting with kingsport, bristol tn elizbethton greenville jonesboro. there anything here that you are looking for. They call this part of the country god country. gun clubs everywhere all within 1hr 30mins. We wish all the luck in world you will just have to come on down and visit. charlie

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

We're gonna do just that soon Charlie in Feb.

I really like my bass and crappie fishing too and it seems that I won't be disappointed in that regard either.

Thanks everyone, please keep it up.

Guy

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Bristol is one of my favorite places to visit when there is a Nascar race going on and the folks are wonderful...super friendly and hospitable and always wanting y'all to "come on back now!"

7. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Johnson City is quite unique. It never moved but was founded in N. Car. and with redrawing of state lines ended up in Tn. Really nice area. Close to Hog Heaven GC. Almost every mountain top has a home less than 20 yr.s old. Beautiful in all seasons.

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

up....

Any Realtor suggestions?

9. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

The WhitePine area is nice.Close to Knoxville.Home of the Hog Heaven Gun Club, lots of Golf Coarses and some of the best fishing lakes around.Pretty country.

10. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Guy,

Here's a link with some more information on the area and I PMed you my realtor's information.

Tim

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks Tim! I really appreciate it.

12. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Guy,

If you're a Vet stop by the Mountain Home, TN Veteran's Affairs Post Office and say Hi. Hell stop by even if you're not a Vet. We're right in the middle of Johnson City.

Tim

13. Snowjet

Snowjet Member

Hello, here is the name of a realtor that knows the area very well, and shoots at the unaka rod and gun club. Mike Vickers his #423-202-2762. Welcome to Tenn. I relocated here 2 and half years ago, we love it! Bob

14. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Stan Wideners reloading supply is also in Johnson City. I bought a ton of stuff from him when I lived there and still order from him. No state income taxes. A super place to live.

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

We'll be there 15-18Feb. Thankyou all for your input. If you'd like to meet up let us know.

Guy & Aline

16. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

By the way...

It's not Eastern Tennessee.

It's East Tennessee.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You are gonna like Tenn Guy

18. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Hammer, that's EXACTLY the kind of info I need! Got it & fixed.

Thankx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.