1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Easier Ways To Reclaim Shot??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mwm86, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mwm86

mwm86 Member

I see alot of talk on here of reclaiming shot from your local trap fields. I have gotten permission to do this at my local club, but my question is, without heavy or expensive equipment, can anybody give me any ideas on how you have been doing this. For example, what area do you consider the drop zone, in feet, and where do you measure from, what tools are you using to do so, shovel and a bucket, sounds like a weird question, but I'm interested in trying this, even if just to get enough for a single shooter. Any ideas are greatly appreciated and i'm not afraid of little work to do so. Thanks to all, Bret

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Are you serious?

3. mwm86

mwm86 Member

Why not? I don't intend on making a living of it, but if a guy could even collect a five gallon bucket or two it would save alot of money at nearly $40 dollars a bag. By the way, I have a good friend who has a great set up for melting down and making great shot, so I wouldn't be trying to clean it and throw it straight into the reloader.

4. grntitan

Do you really realize how much soil you would likely have to sift to get even a 5 gallon bucket? I could be wrong but sounds like a needle in a haystack sort of thing.

5. mwm86

mwm86 Member

Your probably right, but with the prices going the way they are, I thought maybe someone had come up with a decent way of doin this, you have to admit there are some pretty creative inventions posted on here. ya never know.

6. grntitan

Hey prove me wrong, it's been done many times before.

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I did 2 test sample digs at our range.. right in the middle where the broken clays were.. took out my folding knife, cut a plug out of the ground the size of a grapefruit and carried it back home.. after a little soaking in a bucket of water I had my shot.. way more than I figured...probably 1/2 ounce worth.. if they would let you use a garden tiller I would say till it a couple inches deep and shovel it into your pickups bed and head to the house.. I'm all for you!!

8. Capt_ed

Capt_ed Member

A fellow at our club just went and dug 2 small ice cream buckets of dirt in the shot area of the bank. His reward 11# of shot. He has built himself a screen and blower/vacumn system out of spare parts at home and said the process took him about an hour. Come spring he's going to at it and see how much shot has acumulated over 2 traps in 56 years

9. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I would think you would need to be way past where the broken clays are. The main shotfall zone should be many many yards farther than the clays travel.

10. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I agree on the shotfall zone.. the reason I dug where the broken clays were is because it was mowed and the rest of the field was waist high with weeds..

11. mwm86

mwm86 Member

What little research I have done on a reclaiming companies site, says to pull test samples 487 feet from the shooter. If I remember correctly they said a 2' by 2' by 2" deep sample. I have paced this off and scractched around a little, but thought it would be nearly impossible to obtain much by hand, which is why I started this post for ideas. Our shooting grounds are flat as a board so I guess maybe this is a slight advantage. Thanks again for any suggestions. Bret

12. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Brett, I've reclaimed some shot from our two fields. Walk out and you can see where the drop zone is. I skimmed 5-5gallon buckets of dirt and shot off the top two inches of soil. I then tumbled them in a small cement mixer with water to separate the dirt and grass. The shot stayed at the bottom.

It could have been graphited and shot at singles the way it came out of the mixer. Since I make my own shot I ran it through my shotmaker. I got 85 pounds of nice shot.

Ajax

13. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I just delt with this with a reclaimer. The main shot fall zone is suposedly at 200yrds due to angles and trajectory. If your club is been round along time and heavily shot you can scoop it up easily.

Our club before the initial mining, you could scoop up a 5 gal bucket in no time. Even now it lays out on top the mud.

Jerry Lewis

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Myself and another guy got 10 5 gal. buckets 1/2 filled in about 4 hours work just doing surface reclaiming. Look in the area around 100 yards from the trap house on the ground. The shot will pool up in small piles, especially where there are small ruts. We used the back side of iron garden rakes to gather piles up that can be 5 lb. or more. You will also be picking up loose dirt along with small stones. Each one of those 1/2 filled buckets weights about 150lb. that's about max if you don't want to break the handle off. I made a sieve that fits over a wheel barrel with 1/8th. square screening to get most of the little rocks,grass,sticks out, then I empty the screenings into another bucket. I ran it twice through a stream of air from a gas leaf blower to get rid if the fine stones and powdered dirt. Next I washed the cleaned shot in water then set it out to dry. Finally I tumbled it in a shell case tumbler, about 25lb. at a time with 2 tea spoons of ATF fluid for 15 min. and it's done. I have microfine graphite, but I don't need it as it flows good in my MEC and never a bridge.

15. mwm86

mwm86 Member

Awesome. At least I now know I'm not completely crazy for thinking about trying this. Unfortunately I'll have to wait for spring for warmer weather to give it a try but at least I'll have some ideas to work with, thanks to all for your replies and hope to see many more with your experiences with this. Bret

16. grntitan

Well i take back my negative comments. I'm not scared to admit i was wrong. I would have thought it a much more involved process. Looks like you got plenty of starting points from these guys. Good luck with it.

Matt

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It's a lot easier by us. Wait till the lake freezes and go out with a broom.

HM

18. mwm86

mwm86 Member

No offense takin Matt, I'll have to admit as well, even I thought I was crazy for ever mentioning this idea. I figured I would get more "do you wear a padded helmet and ride the short bus" comments than I would helpful ones.LOL. Goes to show I guess, that there are a few good ones left out there.

19. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Old LVGC had a machine for sale that should do the trick, contact Steve.

20. capvan

capvan Active Member

One five gallon pail of dirt/leaves, etc. resulted in 15 lb. of shot. Pretty poor shape, so I melted it down and made bullets. I just let a garden hose run in the bucket for about an hour. Lots of stirring and messing around and the shot was left.

We shoot into the side of a mountain (well, large hill to some folks). All rocks, little dirt/leaves at the bottom. Seems like it should be pooling in those rocks somewhere, but haven't found it yet.

cap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.