1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Earthquake in China-What happens now?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pyrdek, May 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

With a 7.8 Richter quake hitting China and causing a lot of casualties and property destruction, what happens to the metals market and the energy market?

Will the short term result be lowered demand because of facilities going off line reflected in lower prices for metals and energy or will the increased demand for building and re-building the various buildings drive prices up?

What major manufacturing areas were in the severe damage quake zone? Any refinery operations or petro/gas drilling? Any metals mining or refining in the area? How about what manufacturing using these materials and energy sources were affected?

Anyone have some ideas of just what the industry base was in this area?

2. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

This is known as world population reduction, and would benefit the reduction of global warming, oil prices, and food shortages around the world.

Now back to our regularly scheaduled program, discussions on the wonderful world of shooting clay targets specifically the game of Trap.

Ronbo

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

25 years ago the Chinese Commies would have denied it ever happened and no loss of life ever occured...and there would have been no video or still images allowed to leak out...

4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

This is truely where the question needs to be asked 7.5 or 8's... I'd prefer 9s.

JMHO
    Jerbear

5. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

People are people, they are suffering as much as victims in our country of natural diasters---totaltitarian gov'ts suck---keep up the garbage & who knows---they might just buy up the world supply of lead & we'll be paying $100.00/per bag of shot , which I believe will happen in the next few years.---I was an electrial contractor before I retired--droppped by a local Lowes-Romex that I used to pay $14.00 /250' & cheaper on 1000' reels is now $48.00/ 250'---It is great to have national ,pride---be carefule these 3rd world countries are rising & unles we change we're continuing to sink below their current level---Phil

6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

ljutic73, I was in Peking in 1976 when the Tang Shan earthquake happened, which was , I believe, a 7.4 with a 7.6 or 7.8 aftershock. After that one, the Chinese government admitted that the city was levelled, with a preliminary death toll of 600,000. My guides told me that it was probably 1,000,000 or more, but we would never know because of the devastation. The city was built on top of centuries of coal mines, so you can imagine the topography changed drastically. My sisters and I were the first known witnesses to return to Canada, and were met by a horde of media at the airport, all demanding first hand accounts of the quake. That no information came out was not due to any great communist conspiracy to keep the west in the dark, but because they were concentrated on getting relief to the area. As it was, that was the area in which we were scheduled to be travelling, but they wanted to get their citizens aid before worrying about foreign travellers, so we got to travel to Darien on the north coast,then up into Manchuria as far as Shenyang. From there to Schechuan, where this layest quake happened, then by train out to Shanghai, and a flight to Japan.
    We never got into the Forbidden city, or walked on the Great Wall on that trip, so I returned in 1981 to a China that was opening up bigtime to the west. During that trip,one of my guides told me that there were at least 1,000,000 dead in Tang Shan, but the final count was unknown due to lost records due to the quake.

7. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I'm waiting for Myanmar and China to offer help to the folks in the US who got hit by tornados in the last few weeks. Or did I miss this on the news?

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

8. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Gene....Don't hold your breath. The U.S.A. is the demon of the world... or haven't you heard? If we ARE so bad why don't we start kicking the a$$ of some of these 3rd rate 3rd world countries and TAKE the oil to be distributed to the rest of the world at a reasonable profit? I for one am getting sick and tired of taking it on the chin from the rest (mostly) of the world.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I would think that a good person would be more worried about the innocent lives that have been lost and of those who are now without homes, food, water, clothes and who knows what else than worried about the metals or energy markets.

Geez can we at least have a few moments of prayer or meditational thoughts for what has happened before worrying about how it might effect us?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.