1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Earned Yardage Penalty or Reward ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ljutic 4 Ice, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ljutic 4 Ice

Ljutic 4 Ice TS Member

Might as well stur the pot some. In you opinion, is earned yardage a penalty or reward for winning a hdcp event? For me, it's a reward as I'm on the 23 yard line. All of my punches have come with wins of 94, 95 and 96. In the PITA, no auto pinch till 97.

At the Dixie Grand this year. Hdcp Event#8, punches went to scores of 93,92 (received 1 yard), and 91 (earned a 1/2 yard). I know the weather was bad, but are those a reward for good shooting? To me the answer is yes. My goal is the 27 yard line. Thanks David

2. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

David, I look at it as a reward, started shooting ATA last year and won one event with a 93 and got in a shoot off in a second event to end up in second. I am now on the 21 1/2. My goal is to get to the 27,hopefully this year I can pick up a couple more yards.

John

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If your only goal is making it to the 27 yard line, there is a short cut. Request from ATA a 25 yard ticket and shoot with 14 others till you make the epitome of trap status, the 27 yard line. That way you'll be rewarded all you can stand and then some! Hope this helps ya out.

Harem Crambull

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Reward for those who want to shoot good!

Penalty for those who think the rules should be to their advantage and no one elses!!!

JMHO, Bill

5. Hap MecTweaks

Bill, earned yardage is just that, earned and certainly not just because a shooter WANTS it!

Those thinking earned yardage is a penalty should find another game. Our rule book only mentions penalty yardage if one doesn't have the required amount by state or Grands to partake, OR, one may also be penalized with known ability. There's nothing in our rule book that says a shooter can't penalize himself either, hence my post above? Just helping the guy out if it's yardage he wants?

Harem Crambull

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's a reward to me. I value it as much as a win. Thats me though. The unfortunate part is i haven't had much reward in my caps, YET. Hopefully when spring hits i can get "Harem Crambull" to help me out. :)

Matt

7. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I really like the concept of "earned" as the guide post as to how to hold a punch. One earns good grades, a promotion, a extra piece of cake, the 27 yd line. I still take pride in every punch I get, and I get some each year though I've been on the 27 yd line for years. Bruce

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

To me, it's a reward.

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

reward

10. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

To me it's as big of a prize as any trophy, was proud to earn my yard punch with a 96 at the Dixie.

Rick

11. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

In shooting it's my ultimate goal (reward). The back fence, that's where I want to be. no matter what anyone says, once you're there you can stay for as long as you want. Blast Away!!!!! Glenn Allison

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Listen to what Hap says.

Don

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Hap.... There are some who thinks that if you shoot less than 96 but it is high score you shouldn't get punched. I personaly think one should because it is high score and its a reward for that high score.

I'm on the 24 1/2 and trying to work my way back but I will take a reduction because I feel there is a reason I can't keep the average to stay on that particular yardage. Once I reach the 27 I'll go from there on how I feel about reductions.

Bill

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

A penalty for those shooters still standing at any yardage below the 27. Absolutely nothing for those top shooters who've been standing there for over 30 years.

To those shooters who aspire to make the fence, I admire your determination. Unfortunately, most will quit the game long before they reach that goal.

If making the 27 is your only goal just request the 25 yd. line from the ATA. They'll be glad to oblige and look at all the money you'll save at short yardage. Some short yardage shooters believe it's easier to shoot from back there because their pattern is bigger or they see 'em better or something.

C'mon back and don't be afraid to play the ticket!!

15. Hap MecTweaks

"There are some who thinks that if you shoot less than 96 but it is high score you shouldn't get punched."

All of us reading your quote, as posted above, has been stated by several others over the years too. I feel their true feelings may be how the rule is written and the number of competitors more so than earning yardage. Personally, I'd gladly take a high score of 96 or a 75 on a super windy day at the Grand as a high score and with glee! So too would all those saying you shouldn't earn yardage for less! Those guys would brag about that earned yardage for years too! For the kind of get together I mentioned as a way to attain the max yardage at a small gathering of 15 shooters with a high score of xx certainly doesn't fit what I call the earned yardage scale but it's the rule and we abide by those! That certainly doesn't mean we have to agree the rule is best for our organization? The 15 shooter rule is way too low for anything close to what I consider real earned yardage with a win of practically any low score as long as it's the high score of the 15 shooters? That's a target managers rule, first man to break a target wins? A bad yet well intentioned rule carries the same weight as the best of rules, it's the law of our sport. That isn't earned yardage, it's a gift. The minimum number of shooters required to "EARN" yardage should be increased to prevent what I outlined above. As Bruce stated above concerning an "earned yard" shooting from the max, he earned that one outright from our maximum stripe, with glee!

Harem Crambull

16. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

It is earned & is a reward for a job well done, every last bit of it & you should feel proud every time they punch your card. Like being move up a class in singles or doubles is a compliment, not a penalty. Asking for a move to the 25 isn't the answer! Sorry, but go out & work for it, that is what they game is about. The 27 should be every shooter's goal. I realize not everyone can make it, but goals need to make you stretch. Anyone who wants to stay closer anticipating a big day in the sun is just kidding themselves & doing an injustice to the sport. That ought to get some s#%t flying, but it is the way I feel!

17. grntitan

Hap--You stated " If your only goal is making it to the 27 yard line, there is a short cut."

I aspire to shoot from the 27 someday but ONLY if i am able to make it there by my ability. If i never get good enough to make it on my own you'll never see me back there. I understand some people have taken this 25 yd gift and that's ok. I just prefer to earn my rewards thru hard work. Am i looking at it this wrong? I mean it's not my only goal but it is definately a Goal of mine.

Matt

18. Hap MecTweaks

Matt, there's a lot of guys that followed the rule system to EARN their right to shoot from the max stripe!! Even the way I outlined above is legal and in our rule book! I may not totally agree with the method but it's still in our rule book and a rule is a rule? Every shooter should prove themselves via earing their way there, not through some podunk well intentioned rule! Yeah baby, I'll give ya 5 but ya gotta earn the last 2 on yer own and it's outlined as how to do just that to the thread owner above and it's legal and in our rule book! Once there, a shooter can bang away the rest of his life shooting whatever score he's comfortable with. The max group is growing the fastest in our history, I wonder why? You wouldn't reckon how added yardage group money is divided may play any part in that would you, nah, we wouldn't do that sort of thing, would we? The more the merrier regardless of shooting talent whether it's considered a reward or shooting out of your league.

Matt, you are absolutely not wrong in wanting to improve your shooting skills and earning your way back, that was the way it was intended to be once upon a time too! It's just easier to do today than yesteryear via rule changes, it's still tough for some regardless.

Harem Crambull

19. Bubba

Bubba Member

Getting a punch for a 96 when scores of 99 or 100 are shot is a joke.

Jim Shorts

20. grntitan

Hap--I personally know several shooters who have asked to be moved back and indeed took it. I honestly don't know if i agree with the rule except in one case i completely understand it. There is an older couple that both shoot and travel together. One member of the couple is at the back fence and the other at the 25. This way they can still shoot on the same squad as there spouse. The one on the 25 was placed there by request. In that situation i can understand the couple wanting to shoot on the same squad with their spouse and friends. I guess the rule could be used and abused like alot of things. I want to feel like i earned or won the position but that's me.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.