1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Earned Yardage Anecdote

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Recently I received a 1-yd punch for a score of 94 in a HCP event that had between 125 & 249 entries. There were three other shooters in the event with a score 94, which tied all of us for second behind the sole 96 who took first (It was real windy that day!)

The earned yardage table in the ATA rules states all ties for second get 1yd in an event of this size, thus the punch.

I assume (dangerous) since the shoot did not provide trophy/money for second place, the tied 94s were not shoot off.

Please let me preference the following by saying honestly that I'm not complaining. I do however feel less than gratified to get a punch for a 94 especially since I had no opportunity to compete/earn sole second place.

I guess the lesson here for me is that shoot offs are only conducted to determine winners of trophies and money, and not to sort out singular winners to aid in applying earned yardage.

Guy Babin

2. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Guy:

I don't follow your last sentence? Shootoffs have nothing to do with punches. The reason is that the rule does not say second PLACE gets 1 yd, it is the second HIGH SCORE and ties that get the punch, even if after a shootoff you end up in fifth. Your last sentence is how it works, not sure why that is a lesson.

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

That makes sense 870, and thanks MIA I'm a rookie--I wonder how much longer I can use that for an excuse for ignorance and incompetence???

I had forgotten any shootoff, and the score earned in the event do not correlate when determining earned yardage.

What's the proper way to say NEVERMIND on a thread?

This punch thing can be dizzying--I worked all target year last to get to shoot the grand without penalty. That lasted only until the very first HCP event where I proudly won a punch. Then my very second time shooting from the 21, I get punched to the 22. I'll bet it slows down before long knowing me!

Guy

4. smartass

smartass TS Member

The proper way to say "nevermind" is to delete your post- either in part or in entirety.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Good shooting Guy and I bet there are more yards to come. However, you have discovered how capricious the earned yardage system is. It really requires 3 things. 1. You have to shoot well. That means you have to be able to shoot 95s consistently at each yardage you attain. 2. You have to shoot often to give yourself as many opportunities to post a good score at the right time. 3. You have to be lucky. You have to be lucky to get a couple of extra targets you can easily handle in a round that will get you from 94-95 to 96-97 and get a score punch. You have to be lucky that at a shoot where you put up a 94-95 for a win that someone else didn't get that extra target or two and put up a 95/96. You have to be lucky that 14 other guys showed up for you to beat instead of 13.

So, persevere and you will get to the 27. However, if you practice some from the 25 and you really don't see a great deal of difference between your 22 yard scores and 25 yard scores, send in your 25 yard letter and skip a lot of the nonsense in between.

6. bgf

bgf Active Member

gdbabin,

Very good shooting to earn yardage as you did.

Please ignore Anonymous's post as by deleting you will cause a great deal of confusion on the part of the readers/responders. Your "never mind" was quite apropos.

Bernie

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You shot in a shoot with about 200 competitors and management does not give an award for second place. Find another place to shoot. HMB

8. Hauser

Hauser Member

gdbabin

For whats its worth. You shot a runner-up score with a reasonable number of shooters and should have been given the yard. Good shooting.

In my opinion you will have a legitimate gripe if you end up shooting a 97 with 250 or more shooters and get at least a yard and nothing else.

The earned yardage table was constructed years ago and is totally outdated given todays high handicap scores.

Jerry Hauser

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.