1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Early Browning A5 Advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MisterHappy, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Here's the story: Middle of a round, my old workhorse A5 refused to fire. Felt like the safety was on - no trigger travel. With the bolt in battery, I backed off on the magazine tube nut, and I got the trigger to pull and the hammer fall with the barrel about 1/8 (or a bit more) forward of where it shoudl be.

Opened her up, a bit of dirtyness, but not bad.

With the trigger group out in the open, I was able to replicate the situation by slowly moving the safety sear. (Note: this is NOT the external safety - it's to prevent the gun form firing with the bolt not in battery.)

Now...this gun is prewar (ser no 222xxx) and has seen plenty of use. I saw no damage to the sear, or the link that engages with the sear, but signs of wear.

Will a sear replacemnt fix it, does it need a link, does it need both?

Or should I go "Full bore trap" and go no safety at all? Just kidding....kind of.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

2. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

mr happy,

check the how the locking lug in the bolt is working.

If it has problems they will mess with the timing of the safety sear, also if there is a problem here and you get it to fire the lock up between the bolt and barrel extention may not be right, making it dangerous to fire.

Al Lingham

3. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Thanks....

Found the culprit....the firing pin was broken! About an inch back from the tip. :-(

I thought that was the bad news....then I went on Numrich's site and found that a New pin is more than I paid for the entire gun! :-0

Oh, well, it's a used, gun, it gets a used pin.....

In case anyone else needs to get into an A5, I was able to download the pdf of the Field Sercive manual; the only variation I encountered was the difference in the manual safety - mine's a Push-pull, the paperwork is for a crossbolt

For all the "horror stories" I've heard about getting into these guns, it went nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.