1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Earl

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mallard2, Jul 13, 2013.

1. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Many people have a lot of emotion and silly things to say around the topic of Earl Scripture.

I simply found the man to be a gentleman and great shooter.

It is in that context that I ask if anyone knows if he is well and doing ok? I hope he is, and miss him at the shoots. This is no "troll" or "cast". Just asking about a good guy.

2. petey 25-5

petey 25-5 Member

Mallard Well said I used to shoot a lot of doubles with Earl when he was at El Paso, then we would head up to Alamgorodo,N.M. to shoot more with Sid! Was a good man and friend, miss making the trip down from WI.with the brats and cheese. Am sure he's doing well, would like to shoot and eat brats with him again someday.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I too always liked Earl. He was a heck of a trapshooter and could run a shoot better than anyone I ever knew

4. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Petey 25-5, I talked to Allen & LuLu Cole atleast (2) times a week and told them you had asked about them. They were happy to know you were still "Kicking". They enjoyed shooting & visiting with you at Alamogordo years past. Have a good weekend and i will talk to you here later. Joe Whitehurst joe90t

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Ditto on what cubancigar said.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The Lovable Scoundrel.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

He was reinstated to ATA shooting, was he not?

8. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

I talked to Earl recently and he is carving duck decoys and guiding fishing. Seems to be enjoying life . I don't care what anyone says, that guy could point a shotgun. and he didn't have to brag as he could do it. I loved driving from San Antonio to El Paso and he would meet you and talk about every thing then he would say "Did you come to shoot or Talk". That was EARL . Bob Roberts

9. APrice

APrice Active Member

I know Earl. Have shot with him and had him pull targets for me. I don't think he needs or wants this occasional airing of what everyone thinks or doesn't think of him. It certainly doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

10. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

He ran a good operation at mesquite , The Oasis GC. Put on some great PITA shoots and cooked up some great meals. I liked Earl. Was sorry things went the way they did. Dave Bishop

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

12. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

A. Price,

We all know Earl. He values those relationships, as do we. No one is trying to "accomplish" anything by it, rather, just to keep track of an old friend who isn't shooting right now.What is not helpful, perhaps, is trying to make a simple inquiry, friendly replies, into something they are not.

It is interesting to note that many people who knew Earl in his baseball days, felt the same loss to the game when he left baseball and came to trapshooting.

Should we all be so lucky as to have that kind of legacy in worlds where we have been.

Good for Earl. I hope to look in the parking lot and see that bright red corvette again one day.

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I spent most of a day with Earl at Nashville Gun Club in spring of 2006. Nice fellow, knew his stuff. Did not get a chance to shoot that day, wouldn't mind shooting on a squad with him.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Used to shoot dubs practice with Earl on weds. nights when I frequented the Indy Gun Club. Taught him everything I knew.

15. Redfish

Redfish Member

I met Earl in the early seventies when he was still involved in baseball. He started coming to the shoots at the Cigar City Gun Club when Wayne Richards was running had the club. Had some great times shooting with him there and enjoying the steak cookouts and car shoots wayne put on to attract the shooters from up North. Great guy,Great shooter. Still miss seeing him.

Jr.

16. nejones

nejones Member

Now there is a name from my past! I think of Earl on occasion and wondered where he ended. Agree with the comment that he is a gentleman and great shooter! I knew him when he was at Orange Co. Trap and Skeet in Orlando. I would guess that was in the mid to late 80's (getting too old to remember). I shot there and pulled targets for him at some of their registered shoots. One time he wanted to pay me for pulling and I said he could just teach me to shoot doubles. He made it so simple and really helped me a lot. I doubt he remembers me. But, if anyone sees him, please tell him Nelson Jones said Hi!

Bottomline, GREAT guy!

Have a blessed week!
    Nelson

17. Redfish

Redfish Member

Forgot to mention the Cigar City Gun Club was located in Tampa, Fl. next to the airport. Unfortunately the land was owned by the Airport Authority and the club which had been there for many years had to close.
    Similar to what happened in Vandalia.

Jr

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I also knew Earl from the 70s and he was at the Virginia State Shoot when I fist met him, and we got to talking about shooting etc and has been a friend
    ever since, always said hi when we met, and he could shoot, was always entranced when I watched him shooting at Vandalia and other large shoot from the West Coast to the East Coast, and that big Black Cowboy Hat.

Would enjoy seeing him again.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. greta500

greta500 Member

The best shooter I have ever known, and a good friend!

Greta

Search tags for this page

cigar city trap club