1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Earl Toliver passes away....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jevoliva, Jul 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Just got this e-mail a couple of minutes ago -- may you rest in peace, Earl.

It is with saddening heart to report that an Icon in Trapshooting, ATA Hall of Fame and ATA Past President Earl Toliver passed away this morning of respiratory failure at the Bedford Regional Medical Center in Bedford, Indiana. Earl was 97 years of age on the 16 of June. <br>
    <br>
    At his request, memorials to be given in his honor to your favorite charity or the ATA Hall of Fame; which he was instrumental in establishing while he was President of the ATA. Viewing will be this Wednesday (21 July) from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the Ochs-Tetrick Funeral Home in Orleans, Indiana. Funeral will be on Thursday at 10:00 AM, with burial in Orleans alongside his wife Maye. <br>
    <br>
    Clarence Earl Toliver, 97, of Orleans died Monday, July 19, at the Bedford Regional Medical Center in Bedford, Indiana.<br>
    <br>
    Earl was born June 16, 1913 in Orange County, Indiana. His parents were Hayden W. and Ethel May Scarlett Toliver.<br>
    <br>
    He married Maye E. Magner, August 17, 1940 and she preceded him in death on February 3, 2002.<br>
    <br>
    He was the owned and operated the former Toliver Oil Products in Orleans for thirty-five years until he sold the business and retired in 1975.<br>
    <br>
    Earl’s interest in trap shooting began in 1948 and that became his passion. He owned the Jenkins Gun Club in Mitchell from 1969 to 1973. In 1954, he was elected to the board of the Indiana Trapshooter’s Association and served as secretary, treasurer for many years and as president in 1961. He was elected to the Indiana Hall of Fame in 1978. In 1964 he was elected to the National Amateur Trapshooter’s Association and was president in 1968 and founder of the National Trapshooting Hall of Fame. He attended all of the Hall of Fame Induction Banquets from 1968 until 2009. In 1962 Earl was the world recordholder for the most 100s broken in a single year, 4000 targets consecutively. He held many other records. He was also an avid pilot from 1935 until 1970. He was a member of the Orleans Kiwanis Club and was past president and past Lt. Governor. He was a member of the Bedford Elks Club and was a member of the National Riflemen’s Association. <br>
    <br>
    Surviving Mr. Toliver is a sister, Barbara Diech and her husband, David of Bedford, a sister-in-law and a brother-in-law, Carolyn and Robert Burgess of Crawfordsville, Indiana, also several nieces and nephews. Earl was preceded in death by his parents, his wife, one brother, Max Toliver and one sister, Mildred Burton.<br>
    <br>
    Other details at: http://www.funeralplan2.com/ochstetrick/obits<br>

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

He was a good ole Indiana boy. A true Hoosier!!

3. Stuart

Stuart Member

Earl was my first customer at the Ohio State shoot in Vandalia. That was 1985 right after Herb Orre died. Herb would up date his gun every year, a Milled Rib Model 12 with in excess of 1,000,000 rounds. He and Maye made it a point to stop by every year and we attended his Hall of Fame Dinner. In later years his son-in-law, I believe , would bring him to the Grand just for the visit and the HOF dinner. It didn't set well with him that Indiana didn't get the Grand but he came anyway. He was pleased with the facility.
    In my mind's eye he was the last President of the ATA that did anything for the ATA. The Hall Of Fame.
    He impressed me as a true gentleman, old school.
    PIR
    Stu

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Earl and I used to set around and swap stories, my new for his old. The stories he could tell.....hope God enjoys trapshooting stories.

5. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Sad day for everyone. RIP Earl.

Don

7. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

Earl presented me with the first trophy I ever won. A great man that will be missed by all.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Earl gave much of his life to our sport. He will be fondly remembered by many.

Pat Ireland

9. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Our deepest sympathies to Earl's family and friends. Leo and Karla

10. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

11. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Our condolences to the Toliver Family and Friends.

The Bartholow's

Bud, Char, Foster and Matt

12. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Turned and looked at a picture from the 1989 Grand on my safe. It is my brother who won a doubles trophy in a shoot off with Earl. I remember Earl giving my brother "tips" about shooting before they went out to shoot off.

God Speed!

Scott

13. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Member

Truly, it is a sad time for all Trapshooters. A giant in the sport of Trapshooting and a good friend has passed.

His leadership in this sport was a mainstay for Trapshooters for both the Indiana Trapshooters Association and the ATA. Earl spent countless hours working for the betterment of the sport he loved.

He was the driving force behind the Trapshooters Hall of Fame and spent many hours “on the road” promoting the HOF idea. He also pushed the idea of expanding the Clubhouse for new offices and the HOF. Both of those major projects were completed by the end of his term as President of the ATA.

I saw and talked to him for the last time at the 2009 Indiana State Shoot. He was not in good health and looked frail, very unlike the strong, suntanned man I had known for so many years. I told him I missed his camper-trailer, under the big Sycamore tree at the state shoot. We talked about his memories of me, tagging along behind my Dad and Brother at the Grand in 50’s. We talked about my memories of his wife May and how she always helped at the State Shoots. It was good times to reminiscence about friends and family we had lost over the years.

Now, Earl has gone to join them at the big shoot in the sky. I know he will be welcomed with open arms. For now, I can only hope and pray that I will be invited to shoot on his squad with his friends one day.

I know I will have to get in a long line.

Earl, you will be missed,

Mark Burgess

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.