1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ear protection

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by warren, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warren

warren Member

I recently purchased an AR15 rifle and the ear plugs I was using for shotgunning don't hack it. My ears are still rining from a sighting in session with my rifle. What's the best, I've already lost enough of my hearing I darn sure don't want to lose anymore?

warren

2. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

Warren, what typy hearing protection are you or were you using. I use the molded type with no problem, for the last 30 years.
    Fran

3. warren

warren Member

Just ear plugs from the drug store they always worked ok for me on the trap field I shoot an over under, this rifle is a semi auto which may have something to do with it. My right ear is the one that took the punishment I don't notice until I was through shooting. I'm going to be in Reno next week and Cabela's have a huge store just oustide of Reno, I'm going over there and see what they have but would like some thoughts from exxpienced shooters first.

warren

4. setter

setter Member

I use both ear plugs and ear muffs when target shooting. I use the "shotgunner" for trap as it cuts down on the background noises and one of the higher rated muffs for rifle and pistol.

5. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Doubling up with the yellow foam inserts such as AO Saftey which is about 25db reduction with Peltor or equivilent good muffs will get you 29 or so.That rifle has a muzzel brake no doubt which adds to the noise.Perhaps a good fitted pair again with the muffs would even be better.

Craby

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Check out the Pro-Ears line of muffs on my website. I just started carrying these a month ago, and I am using them myself. I am highly pleased in the quality plus the noise reduction.

Matt Woodson

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Make sure you test the earmuffs in question before buying, because many are not properly contoured to clear a stock.<br>
    <br>
    If your muzzle brake is not permanently installed (which it must be in some states), then remove it and put on a thread protector, flash hider, or one of the muzzle brake designs that projects the sound forward.<br>
    <br>
    My AR15 that I mainly use for hunting has no brake or muzzle device. In fact it has no thread, and thus has less report back to my ears. I have severe tinitus, and shooting makes it worse, but I do not like wearing muffs or plugs for hunting, except for fixed position varminting where I'm shooting high volumes of ammo.<br>
    <br>
    Here's an interesting excerpt:<br>
    <br>
    <i>Measurements indicate that on a rifle a muzzle brake adds 5 to 10 dB to the normal noise level, increasing total noise levels to 160 dB(A) +/- 3 dB. Painful discomfort occurs at approximately 120 to 125 dB(A), with some references claiming 133 dB(A) for the threshold of pain. Active ear muffs are available with electronic noise cancellation that can reduce direct path ear canal noise by approximately 17-33 dB, depending on the low, medium, or high frequency at which attenuation is measured. Passive ear plugs vary greatly in their measured attenuation, ranging from approximately 20 dB to 30 dB, depending on whether or not they are properly used. Using both ear muffs (whether passive or active) and ear plugs simultaneously is a practice that is often used for obtaining the maximum protection, but the efficacy of such combined protection relative to preventing permanent ear damage is not conclusive, with evidence indicating that a combined noise reduction ratio (NRR) of only 36 dB (C-weighted) is the maximum possible using ear muffs and ear plugs simultaneously, equating to only a 36 - 7 = 29 dB protection against a 160 dB(A) noise level. Relative to a noise level of 160 dB(A), this means that even using ear muffs and ear plugs simultaneously cannot protect a shooter against permanent ear damage when using a muzzle brake, through leaving a shooter exposed to noise levels of approximately 131 dB(A) that is 11 dB above the point where permanent ear damage occurs.</i><br>
    <br>
    Keep in mind that every 3 dB increase/decrease doubles/halves the sound intensity. Thus, a 3 dB increase is a 100% increase. A 9 db increase is a 300% increase.<br>
    <br>
    There are some muzzle brakes that are designed to REDIRECT the sound forward, which is not the same as a suppressor/silencer, so they are legal. The Noveske KX3 Flash Suppressor is said to redirect sound, but it is not a muzzle brake. Gentry makes a Quiet Muzzle Brake, but I do not know how effective it is. There is a redirect brake made specifically for the 223 and the AR15 in particular, but I don't recall the name off hand. Will do some digging and edit when I find it.<br>
    <br>
    EDIT: It's called the Levang.<br>
    <br>
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5594/Product/AR_15_LEVANG_LINEAR_COMPENSATOR<br>
    <br>
    I've been meaning to get one of these and test it on a 16" barrel, and also on my 9" Kel-Tec .223 pistol, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

8. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

WHAT, speak up.

Working around aviation for the last 30 years has taken it's toll on my hearing but rule of thumb is to use double protection so anything that provides that level of protection would be my choice.

Do I use double protection? No, my hearing is already bad and I don't see double protection providing any benefits in the db range I'm shooting but if I was a young full of piss lad with good hearing I would take better care of them.

9. warren

warren Member

Bryan I ordered one of those Compensators I'll try it and let you know how it works.

warren

10. TC

TC TS Member

Mr D, if you have any hearing loss, all the more reason to protect what you have left. You will continue damaging what you have if you don't protect it. My last set of hearing aids cost me more than my first motorhome. I wear plugs and muffs always! Tony

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The disposable foam plugs work the best for me and I have tried most ear protection devices including custom molded plugs. For really loud guns like compenstated high performance pistols, I will use electronic muffs over plugs. You don't need to spend a lot of cash on this but your hearing is priceless.

Peltor makes a nice streamlined set of muffs that should fit with your cheek on an AR stock. The guys at Cabelas will probably be happy to let you test the fit with some of their firearms. Careful though, you may end up leaving the store with more than just the ear muffs!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ear muffs for trap shooting
hearing protection shooting trap
trap shooters ear protection

trap shooting ear protection