1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ear protection info/opinions- update

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chemist, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chemist

chemist Member

I need to purchase a pair of noise canceling (26db or greater) low profile ear muff type device. I have tried a search but cannot find consistent opinions that would make me choose one over the other. Peltor, ProEar, Radian, Lieght (?) . I know the pro ear gold low profile is high end and the internet opinions on these differ greatly. My ENT made ear plugs do not stay in anymore and the foam type are not comfortable or sound deadening enough. Plus the muff type add a keep 'em warm factor here in NJ.

Any info, sources, or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rich Kaplan- chemist

2. nipper

nipper TS Member

all ear plugs and ear muffs have an nrr number , noise reduction rating, the limit is 85db as a 8 hour time weighted average, so if you buy some with a nrr of 30 , you will still hear or be exposed to 70 db of noise/sound......

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I use the custom molded ear plugs for trap shooting. They work fine and I usually get a new pair at the Grand each year.

For pistol range and rifle range shooting, I bought a pair of ProEars Gold Slim muffs (see website above) from a fellow here a few months ago. I am very happy with them. They are comfortable and with the volume switches, I can hear what's going on around me.

I've found the muffs interfere with my gun mount when shooting trap. That's why I use the molded plugs.

Gene in Illinois

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Caldwell electronic ( 30 bucks and as good as the 200 buck ones)- these are slim profiled ones

And foam plugs

avoid custom molded plugs unless you dont care about your hearing

muff and foam plugs

Regards from Iowa

Gene

5. carv

carv Member

These are the most economical and in my opinion the most comfortable 3m E-A-R Classic earplug, 29 NRR rating, hard to beat. The trick is inserting them correctly into the ear cannel. The following video is helpful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNPZJingZA Many people don’t correctly insert and as a result don’t receive the full benefit or very little benefit. Best of all when you’re done, throw them away, their cheap.

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Stay away from Pro-ears muffs. Very expensive and crap electronics. I've had 2 pair of them in the last 5 years and had the first pair back for warranty work before the year was up because the left side kept shorting out. Worked OK for a while then I replaced them with a new pair. Finally tossed the second pair in the trash can after it started doing the same thing.

I've had good luck with my Dillon muffs shooting IPSC and rifles.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I like the sonic. My pet peeve is when a shooter tries to taslk to me and he cannot hear me. With the sonic you can shoot and still hear

8. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

Last year I was looking for in ear monitors and after alot of looking I ended up with monitors from Alien Ears. The people specialize in monitors and plugs for the music industry and they make quality products for sure. Mine have the ambient vent feature which allows me to set just the right amount of sound through the plugs so I can hear the shooter on post 5 when I'm on 1 or the scorer. They great for skeet and informal shooting as well(not for high power rifles or indoor shooting). You end up with impressions which can be used to make additional plugs (made from silicon)but the plugs are hard epoxy and mine fit real good. Joe

9. JEB

JEB Active Member

My wife and I use Pro Ears Ultra 33, standard muffs - no electronics, plus molded plugs. The muffs are large, but they do not get in the way. They are rated at 33 dbl's. After one or two rounds, you will not know that you have them on. The combination works well, and my wife is one of the top Lady II shooters in the country, so they definitely do not interfere.

JEB

10. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I have 2 pair of Peltor Electronic muffs that are at least 20 years old with no problems EVER. I have replaced the pads / foam once with a Peltor rebuild kit. I enjoy hearing everything while wearing them at the range. They do their job when required!!

11. chemist

chemist Member

update-- After speaking with wife we decided that I need to have another hearing test and have the molded ones made as they were fine until they wore out or my ears got bigger. I had to agree as someone told me they never stop growing. Made appointment, but not until Jan, so I went and looked at a local small private sporting good store . His prices on a pair of electronic muffs was almost $60 over internet. His other stuff is equally ridiculous, as he has a captive audience for guns , etc. I went to Dicks, not my favorite, but they had a pair of Leight Impact Sport low profile for $60 ( $50 online but I could walk out with these ) . Drove up to the club and tried them . They did enhance ambient talking to the point of being loud when the dial was turned up. The noise blocking just seemed to be by the pads and cups and not due to any electronic signal blocking. I can return them or just keep as a spare for a friend when they go. They are comfortable.

Can anyone tell me if these are supposed to cancel the sound of the gun when fired or just block it as a pair of regular muffs will do?I have read and reread the instruction manual and it really does not say that it cuts out high levels of sound( gun shots) electronically, just enhances low levels( talking).

I guess that I will call them and ask, as I want the ones that cancel electronically. My el cheapo Harbor freight did that but they were bulky and died when shooting sporting clays yesterday. New batts did not help.

Thanks to all who have posted with recos and ideas.

Rich

12. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought a pair of Peltor Low profile electronic muffs at the Grand in 2003, and have used them ever since. I like them, because if someone yells 'Cease Fire", you can hear it. I also used mine for pistol shooting, and sighting in my rifles. Charlie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.