1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ear plugs&infection ear?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EE, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Forget the molded plugs. NONE of them work as good as the soft foam ones such as Howard Leight Max. They are the best. Buy them by the box, get 200 pair in individually wrapped packages for about $.20 per pair, and throw away and get a fresh, clean pair the next time.

EE

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I can't hardy use anything but my custom mouled earplugs these days. Anything else just irritates my inner canal to no end.

I keep mine clean and have served me well for 4 years now (same pair). The best $40 I ever spent. I'll probably get another pair made this year.

ss

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

The soft throw away plugs work well but I also have small ear canals and have difficulty inserting them. I have a pair of custom molded plugs that I bought at Vandalia about 1973. I broke them out of storage, cleaned, and oiled with baby oil. They still fit perfectly and appear to reduce sound as well as the throw aways. The molded plugs are easy to insert and remove so I take them out or open them slightly when not on the line. As they only go into my ears I am not concerned about infection although I clean and re-oil them after each days use. My vote goes to the molded plugs however I would have a pro fit them. Marc

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I sell hearing protection. I carry the do-it-yourself molded, foam plugs, Peltor muffs, and Pro-Ears muffs. Being a shooter myself, I have used about everything out there. If worn correctly, the cheap, foam plugs do the best. Most of them have a NRR Rating of 32. The key word there is WORN CORRECTLY. I vend at trapshoots, and I see alot of people walk by my booth. When I see people wearing the foam plugs, and half of it is hanging out their ear....they are not in correctly and they might as well be wearing nothing. If you have a physical issue (small ear canal, ear irritation, etc), the molded plugs or muffs might be your best bet. I personally wear Pro-Ears electronic muffs because I like to hear the scorekeeper call out the scores. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Matt Woodson

Ph: 270.804.5454

5. 700X-user

700X-user Member

I have purchased small diameter earplugs from MSC. MSC is an industrial supply house. I needed smaller plugs for my 4-H shooting club.

Ed

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

avodilko- Use the type of ear plug that works best for you. I like the soft foam plugs, but another style could work better for you. Do not leave the plugs in except when you are shooting.

The ear plugs are not related to your ear infections. Hopefully your infections are in your middle ear and not your inner ear. Middle ear infections hurt, inner ear infections make it difficult to stand up. The middle ear is not open to the part of your ear where the plugs go in (assuming your ear drum is not ruptured). It is open to the back of your mouth (pharynx via the Eustachian tube) and this provides a passage for bacteria into your middle ear.

You mentioned that you have small ear canals. Perhaps a gunsmith set up to back bore barrels could help this situation. Perhaps even porting the canal could do something. With that at least you could put several ear rings behind your ear.

Pat Ireland

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pat, a bore snake, 22 caliber, works much better than porting. You pull it through from one ear to the other.

HM

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Try a good Doctor (M.D.)....they usually are pretty good at fixing medically related problems..

Curt

9. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Having a small ear canal is no reason not to use soft foam ear plugs. They come in all shapes, sizes, styles and colors. Even no-roll, push-in foam plugs. You can find something to work for you if you look. Try the link above to start.

EE

10. KennyP

KennyP TS Member

Andy,

I had a ear infection issue that lasted for almost two years at it's worst, I've had ear infections all my life.

The last time I was in for my ear infection the doctor explained exactly how a n ear infection works. When the ear canal is scratched, scraped, or cut in any manner an infection can start at that point. The skin in the ear canal is also very easy to scratch. That can happen from anything you insert into your ear, Never use Q-tips or anything else in your ears.

I told them that I use ear plugs 2 - 4 times a week for shooting. The instruction were to NEVER use the same plugs twice. The damage is not done when you put them in your ear because you have compacted the plug. The problem is when you pull them out, this is when you scratch or cut the ear canal skin. You MUST plug the plug out very slowly.

Find plugs that fit your ear canal size an do what the doctor told me, it has worked for me for the last three years.

Thats my experience, hope it works for you.

Q-Tips are only good for cleaning guns.

Kenny

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I picked up some MACK's Safe Sound Jr soft foam earplug samples at the shot show last year and they work well for those with small ear canals.

Check them out, if you like them, buy a case and throw out after each use.

12. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I have had ear problems all of my life. I had to stop using plugs and I used muffs like you see rifle shooters wear, the type that are attached by a band and sit on your head. Nothing to go in the ear. I picked up a couple of pairs for around $5 each, but you can get as fancy a set as you like. Give them a try. It takes a little getting used to but not bad at all.

J.F.

13. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have to agree that the bad part is pulling them out. My molded plugs are tight and after I pull them out the next day my ears are plugged up. All I here is water and popping in them. I went to a brand the pistol shooters use called sure fires and it all but has eliminated the prob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to take plugs out of infected ear