1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ear plug recommendation?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

It's time to replace my old ear plugs. I will be looking for a pair of the custom molded type. Any recommendations as to a good source? Thanks, Marc

2. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

I bought mine from a guy at the Missouri Fall Handicap. He called his company Texas Plugs... I sure like mine but I can not find his card right now...

Also please read from the link I posted about them.

3. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Dick Barhorst in Ohio makes great ear plugs and a real good set of stereo ear plugs. His phone number is 937-295-3846.

Terry.

4. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I was paying $35.00, to as high as $60.00 per set. I found a product at the craft store that works great. It's called AMAZING MOLD PUTTY, it is food safe and will not hurt your ears. It is sold in craft stores or you can order it from the company. Their web site is www.moldputty.com, there is a short video of the product. It cost me $19.95 for 2/3 of a lb. it's a two part deal, I found that a teaspoon of each works out just right. You will have enough to make plugs for all your friends for a couple of bucks a person. Just be sure to nead it long enough to mix the two parts completely about 1 min.& 45 sec.s . Form into a snake about 2 in.s long divide in hale and push gently into ear, wait 20 min.s and wala, plugs.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Disposable foam ones work great. And are cheap!

6. mt6

mt6 TS Member

Costco.
    Wayne Lyman

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Why don't you scroll down and look at Big Papa's thread and see people say.

Don

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Get 'em from Bob Schultz, his site is listed in the Trapshooters Marketplace. I bought 2 pair and they as well as the more expensive ones. Easy to mold and fix.

Curt

http://www.trapshooters.com/cgi-bin/targetshot_redir.pl?url=http://www.targetshotguns.com

9. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Custom molded only. Most Foam ear plugs do not protect from shotgun blasts. www.earinc.com or www.espamerica.com . Dave T.

10. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

<em>"Most Foam ear plugs do not protect from shotgun blasts."</em>.......That's totally assbackwards...even BS...Those molded earplugs are in the same category as high priced gun grease......there just another way for someone to make a buck. They just act like a jackhammer on your ear drums.

If you care about your ears you'll put something in them that has been tested and approved.....not some homemade cork.

11. TC

TC TS Member

221 is correct!! If you really want to protect your hearing, you need to use foam plugs. Adding muffs in addition to the plugs is the best. Molded plugs are not tested or rated.

12. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Anybody that has half a brain can tell what ear plug works for them and which one's don't. If your ears are ringing you better do something different. If you have a hard time hearing the gun go off your probably good to go.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you care about your hearing use foam plugs and muffs both

Use "custom molded plugs" and you will go gradually go deaf-- just the way it is

But you will look cool

And you will think you are cool because you spent more money and have something "Custom"

In this case "Custom" means money for someone and loss of hearing for someone else.

regards from Iowa

Gene

14. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I strongly suggest Big Papa's ear plugs, they are custom molded and he will stand behind his product to the end!!!

I got the wrong ones and he was calling me the same day I received them, he called the company and had it fixed in a matter of days!!! I give him a AAA+++ rating (that would be my highest!)

Deb

15. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

Many custom molded plugs are very good and a great number do have NRR ratings. It seems to be usually somewhere in the middle to high 20's on average.

There are many credible sources that you can find on the internet and elsewhere with just a minimal amount of research that supports this. You can purchase custom molded plugs from a variety of sources including from vendors at major shoots.

You can also buy the do-it-yourself kit and mold your own. You might try Cabellas or Gamaliels for the kits. I have even seen the kits at some Walmarts in the sporting goods departments.

Like someone else mentioned, the best protection would be earplugs combined with earmuffs but that isn't practical for everyone.

Good luck and good shooting!

16. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

If you want the do-it-yourself custom molded, both me and Bob Schultz sell them on our website. Someone mentioned Gamaliel and Cabelas carrying them. Yes, they do, but they DO NOT sponsor this site. Bob and I do!

my website: www.scattergunstore.com

Bob's website: www.targetshotguns.com

17. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

OK too many problems with custom molded plugs to mention ( and yes I have owned some- it seemed to be the rave)

They may fit if you put them in right or they may leave a gap when you move your head or turn your neck ( thats because they are hard and truly dont push against your ear canal

Because they are hard or may harden later- they can transmit impact just through vibrations

If they do fit tight (until you move at least) then they will become uncomfortable because they dont have the give of foam

If they are comfortable then there is a loose fit and they are about worthless

You have to have a good seal every time, regardless of movement or age of the plugs- that just wont happen with custom molded plugs plus then you still have the sound transmission issues with the harder material in the form of vibration

Someone said that everyone cant wear foam plugs or soft rubber sealed ones with a muff?????????? Why not????????????????/

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS someone above posted that a seller of these custom plugs stands behind his product 100 percent? Oh really-- ask him how much insurance he carries and ask to see the policy for the loss of your hearing-- also regardless of the fact that he doesnt carry any insurance ( which you will find to be the case) can the loss of your hearing really be compensated for in dollars?

PPS- I have been waiting for lawless=clueless to post-- where are you?

18. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

"Someone said that everyone cant wear foam plugs or soft rubber sealed ones with a muff?????????? Why not????????????????/ "

I said it wasn't always practical. Everyone isn't the same and wearing muffs can be uncomfortable and distracting for some individuals. Personally, I find them too warm on hot, humid days and they tend to interfere with my gunstock. There are other things that makes muffs not the best choice for me but those are the main two. It's a matter of finding the proper balance of protection and comfort and for me, it's the molded plugs.

Of course, as I mentioned earlier, muffs combined with earplugs offer the best hearing protection and for those that can make that combination work for them, that's great.

19. TC

TC TS Member

Gene is correct. It is not possible for molded plugs to have a certified NRR (Noise Reduction Rating)!!!

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Those blasting custom molded ear protection please list your qualifications and certification to make such statements. What you say may apply to some but you have made unqualified statements that all are junk.

It's fine to give your opinion but unless you are professionally qualified you should leave it at that.

By the way I use Big Papa's brand of custom molded which are soft, flexible, have a sound baffle and allow me to listen to music while competing. I also believe I have shot more trap targets than any of you so called experts and I am not deaf yet.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

amazing mold putty in ear

where can i buy amazing mold putty from in joeburg