1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ear plug question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by KS trap, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KS trap

KS trap Member

I shoot trap with a BT 99 and while full ear muff hearing protection is good it bumps into my Monte Carlo stock when shooting. I like to just put in the cheap ear plugs but they dont stay seated in ear too well.

What do others recommend and where can they be found?

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Take the time to learn how to insert the ear plugs.

4. open choke

open choke TS Member

The sure fire only give around 19 NRR

For the cheap ones roll them pull up on the top of your ear place in and then hold the plug at the end when you let your ear go and the plug will puff and expand.

These kind are universal and will work for all ear sizes.

I personally use the custom molds

5. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

http://www.earplugstore.com/mosppluffopl.html

These are NR33 and when properly inserted, work very well.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like the cheap disposable foam plug that you twist up and put in your ear canal. These expand out real well and stay in place for me. If you are having problems with them falling out you might want to twist them up a bit better. I have also found out (accidentally) that the cheapie foam plug soften up and work even better after a trip through the clothes washer.

You may also need to clean out your ear canals a bit ;)

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cV1tuq03t9Y?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I tried them but they just fell in--now I have this rattleing sensation everytime I shake my head.

9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Go to a big shoot and find the booth that does custom molded plugs. Go ahead and spend the money!! The molded plugs are worth it if you can't shoot with muffs. Martinpicker

10. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

I use the Howard Leight Max (NRR 33) Corded disposables. A box of 100 can be had for about $25 delivered if you shop around. They are easy to use and work really well, almost too well at times it seems. The cords are nice because you don't have to worry about losing them or stuffing them into your pockets when they're not in use, just hang them around your neck until you're ready to shoot again. I save a few of the pairs I've used for my trap shooting sessions to use around my property when mowing, chainsawing, etc. and they work great for that as well.

11. Rubicon_Joey

Rubicon_Joey Active Member

Very informative and mentions a few good points that really do help...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SPNPZJingZA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. JLYON

JLYON Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

call E.A.R. inc call mountain time 1-800-525-2690 thy will hook you up with insta-mold rep and make custom ear plugs problem solved thy have been around for 40 years!

13. t901

t901 Member

I got mine from Big Papa his are much better than the other custom molds. He is very fast and just a nice guy to work with.
    He is on trapshooter.com alot just pm and fine a shoot that he is at.

14. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

KS Trap

My name is Jerry Bryant.. I make custom molded ear plugs and would be happy to help you in any way I can. Many of the guys who post here on TS.com wear the plugs I make and sell. I personally make your plug myself.. unlike some who simple make a mold and ship them off to a lab. I make sure you have the proper fit and alignment so that you will have comfortable plugs that do the best job. I work with the E.A.R. group and I personally feel we have the very best there is to offer on today's market.

Feel free to contact me with any questions 941-380-2111

Jerry Bryant
    Silent Treatment
    Hearing Protection
    and Enhancement

15. Elizabeth Christensen

Elizabeth Christensen Member

Jerry forgot to tell you that he will be at the Missouri Fall Handicap at the end of the month. Hope this might help.

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Ear muffs that bump the stock, I have moulded plugs,Browning Shooting Muffs, and Leahigh Muffs, and a pair of electronic headsets, I like them all, but the reason I wear muffs is to keep the sun off my ears.

All of mine serve the purpose and selection is critical on bumping the MC Stock.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There's no one solution for everybody. Muffs are the best, but it they hit the
    stock, or are pushed away from your face, they're worse than useless.
    Foam plugs work great for some people, but not at all for others. A lot depends on the physical construction of your ear.
    I have used fitted molded silicone ear plugs for years. Not perfect protection but the only thing that works for me. Have them fitted by an expert like Jerry or Big Papa - don't try to buy a kit and do it yourself.

18. Lead Miner

Lead Miner Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you are going to the kansas fall handicap or the missouri fall handicap check out Nancy with Ear Gems. She will fix you up soundly. Or unsoundly considering the circumstances.

19. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

p.s. I bought my molded ear plugs from Jerry Bryant (Flagarto) and have been very pleased with them! Martinpicker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.