Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ear muffs

3K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  dhwbailey 
#1 ·
Does anyone make a good set of ear muffs that don't interfer with mounting the shotgun. I would like to use something in addition to the ear plugs.

Carmine

#2 ·
I use the Peltor Tactical 6S. They seem to interfere the least. I've tried dozens of muffs, but have yet to find one that doesn't interfere somewhat with the cheek mount. The right muff raises some, and it breaks the seal. There's also the issue of interference by shooting glasses. The temple stems, whether wires or thicker plastic, also interfere with the seal. I inverted the ear cups, and it helped some, but doesn't fix the problem.

Ongoing I had custom plugs made, and they do a very good job.

There's a web site published by NIOSH which has a world of data. The link is above.

Best,
Dennis

#3 ·
On the Peltor 6 you can actually invert the muffs so that the "thin" edge is at the bottom, closest to the stock. Doesn't solve the problem but works much better than the way they come from the factory.

bustclays

<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/rdrnr/?action=view&current=080217_mccain_pawlenty.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>

#8 ·
I had the Peltors in the past. The old ones had the battery inserted on the outside part of the Muff. the thinner ones inserted inside the foam rubber. I sweated enough to put salt against the electronics and the muff died. This may help you when picking an electronic muff.

Charlie

#9 ·
"the thinner ones inserted inside the foam rubber. I sweated enough to put salt against the electronics and the muff died. This may help you when picking an electronic muff. "

I got a pair of muff covers that absorb the sweat and stop the moisture from getting to the electronics. Haven't had trouble in years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.