1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ear muffs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Stumpstalker, Aug 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stumpstalker

Stumpstalker TS Member

Does anyone make a good set of ear muffs that don't interfer with mounting the shotgun. I would like to use something in addition to the ear plugs.

Carmine

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

I use the Peltor Tactical 6S. They seem to interfere the least. I've tried dozens of muffs, but have yet to find one that doesn't interfere somewhat with the cheek mount. The right muff raises some, and it breaks the seal. There's also the issue of interference by shooting glasses. The temple stems, whether wires or thicker plastic, also interfere with the seal. I inverted the ear cups, and it helped some, but doesn't fix the problem.

Ongoing I had custom plugs made, and they do a very good job.

There's a web site published by NIOSH which has a world of data. The link is above.

Best,
    Dennis

3. BustClays

BustClays Member

On the Peltor 6 you can actually invert the muffs so that the "thin" edge is at the bottom, closest to the stock. Doesn't solve the problem but works much better than the way they come from the factory.

bustclays

<a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c224/rdrnr/?action=view&current=080217_mccain_pawlenty.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

4. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Carmine, I use 'Peltor Shotgunner' muffs as well as earplugs. 'Shotgunner's' are slimline, but get whatever fits your needs best. Cheers-Graham.

5. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

Pro Ears makes a sporting clays model that is tapered on the bottom that works fine for me. I like the electronics of the Pro Ears better than a couple of others that I tried. They limit the db of the shot sound but don't shut clear off so everything sounds natural.

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Peltor Shotgunner. They come in Red, Black, Green, and Camo. They don't seem to interfere with the stock as much as some of the others. Browning has a set just like them for $10 more, but they say "Browning" on them.

7. nipper

nipper TS Member

Seems to me like if someone sat down and designed a set that really does not interfere with gun mount,you might have a $ or 2 in your pocket??

Bill

8. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I had the Peltors in the past. The old ones had the battery inserted on the outside part of the Muff. the thinner ones inserted inside the foam rubber. I sweated enough to put salt against the electronics and the muff died. This may help you when picking an electronic muff.

Charlie

9. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

"the thinner ones inserted inside the foam rubber. I sweated enough to put salt against the electronics and the muff died. This may help you when picking an electronic muff. "

I got a pair of muff covers that absorb the sweat and stop the moisture from getting to the electronics. Haven't had trouble in years now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.