1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

EAR Inc Custom molds with filters

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by open choke, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. open choke

open choke TS Member

I have my custom molds which I love but I have trouble hearing when talking in-between rounds, scores, etc.

Anyone have these? I'm sure they work fine but just wondering if the NRR with the filter is good enough. Straight up custom molds are a NRR of 30

Option 1 is an "acoustic filter"
    I don't know the NRR with these filters

http://earinc.com/p1-filtered-afiltered.php

Option 2 is a custom mold with the "hear defender" filters
    EAR says 22-26 and the NRR increases as the noise is louder.
    This is a different plug but these filters can be installed into a custom mold

http://www.earinc.com/p1-dual-filtered.php

2. open choke

open choke TS Member

3. fitchhall

fitchhall TS Member

Open Choke,

I've been using a set with the acoustic filters for about a year now. Like you, I found that the solid molds blocked out too much sound. I tried out the custom mold with the acoustic filter and found them to work very well... as advertised. They don't have the "responsiveness" of the electronic devices, but definitely allow enough sound through to hear discussions and commands without allowing any painful levels through. I highly recommend them.

Semper Fi,
    Howard F. Hall

4. Habib

Habib Member

It is a cheap gimmick, throw them in the trash.

"I found that the solid molds blocked out too much sound"

That is what ear plugs are supposed to do. There is no way a cheap mechanical product can react quick enough to be safe.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I have alway heard what Habib said and had my EAR plugs installed without the filters. I will say that the earplugs are excellent in comfort and sound blocking.

When I want to chat, I just take one out.

6. Habib

Habib Member

dickgtax, you hear that because it is true.

Lead Miner, "Is it as much protection as a solid plug? HELL NO. And it is not supposed to be."

If you wish to compromise your hearing with an inferior product go right ahead. Those "hard of hearing" may further benefit by just stuffing cotton balls in their ears, at least until the noise destroys what hearing they have left. Cheap mechanical gimmicks do not protect hearing and allow one to hear at the same time. To tell someone with hearing loss to use an inferior ear plug is negligence. You are right, I have never tried one, I know better. Even with the best plugs you are being subjected to over 100db levels. That can damage in the long run. I am deaf, I have learned the hard way.

7. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Habib

I don't have a dog in this fight.. even though I travel to shoots make and sell custom molded ear plugs just as Terry's wife. (In fact we were set up right next to each other at the MO Fall shoot.)

Your screaming that they don't give the same protection as a solid plug and your 100% correct. BUT your not reading Terry's post.. he stated they didn't give the same protection.. and also stated they are not supposed to.

It's the shooters choice which type of hearing protection they want and use. I have not seen any of the vendors tying shooters in chairs and pumping their ears full of puddy. I have also never seen a vendor put noise suppression filters into a set and tell the shooter he/she HAD to have them.

It's an option.. some shooters like it. Some shooters don't.. again, it's person choice. It's only your choice for YOUR ears.

I personally think it's wonderful that "open choke" came here and and ask for opinions and information. An informed buyer is a good buyer !!

Jerry Bryant
    Silent Treatment Hearing Protection and Enhancement

8. old pipe

old pipe TS Member

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

O boy here we go again. I use "Marley" in ear buds playing the best music filled with so much base imaginable. Probably not the best thing to put in my ears while there is a loud bang going off 4 feet from me but wow what an enjoyment while shooting. I guess it is all personal choice isn't it. I know a guy who has never used any hearing protection at all his entire life and I know he can here better than 90% of the people I know and he is 73 years old. Go figure.

10. Habib

Habib Member

FlaLagarto, I am saying they won't provide adequate protection against 12ga gun fire. The noise reduction claims on that type of product is always misleading. Mechanical noise reductions devices do not react quickly enough to protect. The damaging noise impulse hits the ear before the device can function. The ad says nothing about reaction time.

Yeah, it's a personal choice. Some don't wear ear plugs at all. People should not be deceived into thinking they are protecting their hearing when they are not. Electronic type suppression reacts quickly, but not the cheap mechanical type.

Hearing loss is painless!!

11. MACH4RANDY

MACH4RANDY Member

Would you all repeat that!

12. Habib

Habib Member

goose2 , That is amazing isn't it. I know people like that also. Some people are just tough, it's genetic. Maybe you are one of those people. It isn't worth the risk. Hearing loss will wreck your life.

13. FlaLagarto

Habib

I have mislead no one when it comes to hearing protection!

If you want to talk about hearing loss wrecking your life.. how bout this, I'm 90% deaf in my left ear and 60% in my right ear. I grew up around heavy equipment and guns.. no one ever said a word to me about protecting my ears.

Half the reason I make and sell hearing protection is the simple fact that I fully understand how it affects your life !!

Jerry B.

14. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Do some reading on tinnitus and educate yourself before you think about compromising your hearing protection. There are some snake oil salesman out there that claim to have a cure but there is none that I know of. It is cumulative, you have no way of knowing if the next time you are exposed to a harmful sound whether it will cause permanent damage.

My audiologist explained it to me in layman's terms like this, each individual has a limited amount of harmful sounds they can be exposed to before permanent damage is caused. It varies between individuals and is pretty much unpredictable. Once you go past your limit the damage is done and it's sort of like you are left with a recording of the frequency you lost. The hearing loss is bad enough but it's that ringing that is so hard to live with. In my case I had exceptional hearing, I could hear things most people can't the noise old instant on tv's made when turned off for instance. My ringing started out in that very high frequency range so I haven't had much luck in masking it.

I've put up with ringing in both ears out of pure ignorance for 40 years now, I've not had a quiet moment in 40 years. No one warned me about tinnitus and I shot enough without hearing protection combined with other sources to cause it. Back then no one I knew wore hearing protection, didn't see them used in the gun magazines, there is no excuse these days. Over the years I've made my tinnitus worse by using hearing protection that didn't work well enough, mechanical valves for instance, and accidentally exposing myself to loud noises. If you haven't reached your limit yet those marginal devices will seem to work fine, but you could be inching yourself closer to tinnitus. Believe me you don't want to risk tinnitus.

15. Habib

Habib Member

ccw1911, Not much research on hearing loss was done until after WW2 when GI's came home with hearing loss. The high frequencies are usually the first to go, as in your case and mine.
    Even the best ear plugs are not really adequate protection against a shotgun blast.

16. open choke

open choke TS Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'm gonna dicth the filters and get a new set of my custom molds done in the lab so they look nicer

17. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

So the best option is? .10cent foam plugs, plain molded ear plugs, ear muffs, or $900.00 a pair electronics. Dave T.

18. Habib

Habib Member

the ones with the highest NRR is best. that is usually the cheap foam plugs. they constantly expand to provide a good seal. Molded plugs cannot do that. They may or may not work well. When you open your jaw the ear canal changes shape and you may lose the seal. Close your mouth and they seal again. gain or lose weight, new plugs. I'm sure the vendors will disagree.

$900 is crazy, forget that. I like the Walker's Game Ears. Can use foam plugs of have molded ones made.

19. FlaLagarto

Read up on how ear plugs are tested.. that will give you the answer to which is better. As I stated above, it's your choice what you use.. use what you belive to be the best !!

20. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

This is what I wear when I shoot my loudest guns, the EAR yellow foam plugs with Peltor electronic ear muffs over them. The Peltor electronic muffs allow you to hear when no shooting is going on and shut down instantly when shots are fired, this gives you the protection of the muffs and the plugs along with the ability to hear when needed.

I can't wear muffs with my trap gun so I use just the plugs but they are enough for my shotgun, it's not near as loud.

If you wear muffs only be aware that glasses going over your ears breaks the seal somewhat and when you shoulder your gun the seal can also be broken without realizing it. Best to double up with plugs too.

Also make sure you follow the instructions with the foam plugs and roll them in your fingers before inserting in your ear canal. You should notice them expanding and cutting off sound. It is more difficult and takes longer in cold weather. Replace the foam plugs regularly, they are cheap, I know some guys run them through the washer but that can't be a good idea. The seals on the muffs should also be replaced when they get torn or hardened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.