1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ear/Hearing Protection? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

What do you guys use for hearing protection? What do you think is the best? I have been struggling trying to find what works best. I tried foam plugs inside muffs yesterday. They blocked out alot, but the dang gunstock hits the bottom of muffs. I have that on my mind instead of breaking targets. Do the electronic ear plugs that look like hearing aids work? What is most effective?

Matt

2. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I have a pair of Peltor Tac 6s which I really like.

I also have a pair of muff covers which make all the difference. The covers absorb the sweat and keep them bearable in hot weather. As well, it tends to keep the moisture out of the circuitry.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think the cheap disposable foam plugs have the best decibel reduction.

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Those electronic earplugs that look like hearing aids work GREAT! I've been using a pair of ESP electronic plugs for some years now, only downside is the cost.

John C. Saubak

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

6. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I use Peltors for trap, cheap and slim over either custom plugs or foam. Sporting Clays, I use MPA Supreme Pro Muffs ( costs about 250.00, and yes they are worth it). I hear the muffs bumping stock stuff but I believe this can be overcome and will actually make you better, less distractions and less hearing damage.

Charlie

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

For trap shooting, I like the foam inserts from Howard Leight. They make a double ended one that fits small or large ears. Radians also sells a custom molded kit for around $10 - $11 or so. They sell them at Cabela's and Cheaper Than Dirt has them. Someone on this forum was selling the same thing for $15 plus very reasonable shipping. Get the cord kits if you try these. Buy two sets, since you might need one for practice and one to get it right or buy two colors and that way you can make two pair with a different color for right and left. For indoors or higher power stuff, I will use the muffs over the plugs. The Peltor Shotgunner muff is an option for shotguns. Just put a small piece of thin foam tape on the bottom of the right cup to keep it from making too much noise when it bumps.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Get a Pair made for you from BIG PAPA. I have tried most over the years and these work the best.

Don

9. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

dhwbailey,

Please tell me about the muff covers you refer to for your Peltor 6 muffs. I have two friends that use the Peltors and the sweat is a problem with the circuitry. I use Peltor 7's and don't that issue, but they do bump the stock. I use moleskin strips on the bottom of the muff and go on.

I use the Peltors for all my shooting, even hunting. I can hear and yet my hearing is protected. I've had these for almost 20 years now.

HBT

10. wanderer

wanderer Member

Hi DHWBailey:

I also would like to know more about the muff covers used on the Peltor 6 muffs. GEG.

11. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

I've tried the custom molded plugs on several occasions, but they seemed to "leak" more sound over time. Also, ear muffs always interfered with my shooting so they weren't an option. I already have some hearing loss and found my ears ringing more and more. I purchased a set of full ear shell electronic plugs from EAR, Inc about 4 years ago.

They have worked flawlessly and allow for amplification when not shooting, so they help me hear during conversations (I wear hearing aids as well when not shooting). They do require an investment, but I couldn't put a price on loosing any more of my hearing. If you are a beginner with good hearing and want to preserve your hearing or you've already lost some but don't want to lose any more these are worth considering.

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I know the NRR on the North Sonics look terrible, but it compares apples and oranges. The North Sonics ($8) use a diaphram cylinder inside of a silicone shell which is then inserted in the ear.

I have been using the Sonics regularly for more than 10 years, replacing them 5 years ago... just because... These allow conversation, but as soon as an acute increase in sound decibels is produced, they block the sound.

They are easy to maintain - a little alcohol on a tissue or wetnap can easy clean any wax buildup. The silicone shell comes in a couple of sizes from North. I have had excellent experience and no detectable hearing issues.

regards to all,

Jay Spitz

13. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I used the foam ear plugs forever and those are fantastic! Last year I got the "do it yourself" custom ear mold things, and they worked great...until I lost them...so now It's have to the foam ear plugs, which are equally great, but I plan on ordering the do it yourself ear plugs tonight off of Cabelas, only $15 and well worth it!
    -Trappy

14. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

For standing around and refereeing I use a pair of Peltor Tac 6's. They're as slim a profile as you will find.

For shooting I use a pair of custom injection molded earplugs. When I insert those properly and achieve a good tight seal they're better than anything else I've tried. It's like being cocooned off in my own cone of silence.

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Disposable foam plugs for shotguns, Dillon electronic muffs for pistol. I have a set of the custom molded plugs but the disposables just seem to work better for me.

16. himejim

himejim Member

I also use peltor 6 muffs in the colder months then I switch to custom molded plugs. I am not really happy with either.

The Peltor I like because I can hear the scores but I have always felt that they leak sound arround my glass frame and I want great not good hearing protection.

The custom molded ones never seem to stay sealed in my ears. I have tried 4-5 different vendors ($25- $50 each)of these and none seemed to work. I am constantly fiddling with them to get a better seal.

The EAR product seems to be the answer with hearing the scores if they are really better and stay sealed.

What do you think?

17. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Thanks to all that have posted. I appreciate all opinions.

Matt

18. DocJim

DocJim Member

This was studied several years ago by an audiologist (also a personal friend). He found that a good pair of muffs were the most efficient (buy the highest passive decibel protection you can find). You can add significant protection by putting a pair of earplugs on under the muffs. When the earplugs were tested none were any better, including the custom fitted jobs, than the generic foam ones that are usually available around gun clubs for kids and new shooters.

HTH
    AJ

19. Boxer

Boxer TS Member

I just got a pair of Peltor Tactical 7 last week, work perfect

20. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

To the guys on here that have posted wearing muffs. Does the stock not hit the muffs? I bought a set of Peltor Shotgunner Muffs. I tried them this weekend, and when the gun recoils the stock hits muffs, and my muffs come off my head.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.