1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ear buzzing sound

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by clayman51, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clayman51

clayman51 Member

I went to the range yesterday to shoot some rounds of Trap. I was wearing my normal molded ear protection as always. When I finished and returned home my ears began to buzz and have been since then.

Has anyone else had this situation happen to them and found any resolution to the problem. I am going to make an appointment with an ear Doc to see what is going on but thought I would get some insight before going.

Been shooting since the mid 70`s and have been in the construction business for 40`s + years, lots of noise there as well.

Thanks in advance

Dennis

2. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Dennis,

I read somewhere that the 3M foam plugs have better characteristics than custom molded, but everyone I've seen use the molded change them out every few years.

Good Luck,
    TNCoach

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

You've hit your limit of harmful noise, discard whatever hearing protection you were using get some new ones because they are letting too much in your ear. I like foamy plugs too myself and even better with electronic muffs over them so you can still hear and have even more protection.

It won't get any better unless you are extremely lucky but you can keep it from getting worse if you are careful.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

See a doctor...get tested

You ain't gonna get the straight scoop on your specific condition asking here!

MK

5. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

It's called tinitus. Here is what I hear all of the time...EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. The cause may be from something as simple as ear wax or a side effect from medication. In my case, it was caused by a lifetime of industrial work(oilfield), motorcycles, shooting and excessively loud music.

An audiologist once told me that the custom molded earplugs wern't very effective. The reason is that our ears change physically over time, just like the rest of our bodies. The cheapest, most effective protection is by using foam plugs inserted properly. The NRR(noise reduction rating) with foam plugs is typically 28-33 dB. Using muffs on top of plugs helps even more.

I hope that things work out for you. I'm only 56 and can't hear squat. Hearing aids are in my immediate future

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

22hornet, your description of EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE is the closest I've found to what I hear all the time. I have that, plus it sounds like EEEEE, EEEEE, EEEEE, EEEEE... (matches my hertbeat.) Very annoying!

7. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Here are two links that might help you get some idea of what is going on and why. I would STRONGLY suggest that you get an EENT involved in this since one of the causes could involve artery changes and that can cause some severe problems if not caught early.

Link 1

<A href="http://tinnitus0.blogspot.com/2008/11/hearing-pulse-in-ears.html"> Link 2

8. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I had two bouts with tinnitus that lasted maybe a year total. A fast ticking clock sound in my left ear. Happily, it went away, hopefully forever. Now, once in a great while I get cricket chirps in my right ear. No big bother so far.

Hope you can find some fast relief.

BB

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I suffer from chronic tinnitus. The buzzing and ringing never stops.

But.... whether YOU have tinnitus remains to be seen. There are some medications known to have tinnitus as a side effect. See your doctor and discuss all the medications you are taking, as well as the possibility of tinnitus brought about by noise damage.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There's a little bug flying around in there.

You need to kill it with an icepick.

HM

11. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Thanks guys for the helpful information. Scheduling an appointment with my head, neck and throat Doctor. Hope to find resolution.

Shooters are the best!!

Many Thanks

Dennis

12. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hi,

When the ears get in sync you get the buzz.

I heard they are trying to reverse the condition using head phones. You sleep with the head phones with special audio. Not sure how it is supposed to work.

Some patients report having sucess but it may take up to a year as reported on the news.

Crazy, ah?

JIm

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have tinnitus too,..mine is a product of taking a lot of ibuprofen..its a big player among causes for it per my audiologist

14. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just keep listening to that sales pitch from the ones taking your money for those fashion statement designer corks.....stupid,stupid,stupid.

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Had it for years. gingko biloba helps a little. The cause is thought to be circulatory, and so the gingko.

Hypnosis might be an option since there is no real physical reason.

If you find something that works let us know (besides the icepick that is).

HM

16. rocktire

rocktire Member

you may want to check you blood pressure. if it is following your pulse it may be high blood pressure. I have had this problem. sometimes my high blood pressure even causes blurred vision and head aches. but ear ringing is the my most common side affect. I would definately go see a physician.

good luck

17. Slugo

Slugo Member

there is no known cure for Tinnitus, none. Actually, in rare cases it can leave as fast as it came. I've had it for 4 years now and it's chronic, meaning all the time. I've consulted with the best Otolaryngologists and hospitals including Johns Hopkins. Same answer from all, no cure.

Forget wasting money on noise canceling hearing devices, anti-salt diets and meds including anti-depression therapy. I do use a white noise machine at night, and that usually masks out the ringing.

The good part, after a few years, you don't even notice it, unless you want too...

Mike

18. target 1

target 1 Member

give up the blue dot with 1-3/8 #6 and it mite clear up

break-um-all robert

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Yesterday I had an appointment with the audiologist. My neighbor, an ENT MD, cleaned my ears and sent me to the audio person.

35 years of trapshooting WITH EAR PROTECTION has taken it toll, along with three occasions of irresponsible hunters who fired rifles and a shotgun next to my ears. The shotgun was by a Browning Arms Company gunsmith, no less... they don't hunt pheasants with us any longer!

I have a hearing loss in the 4KHz range. Audiologist said a woman's voice should be the hardest to hear - that was good news!

Anyway, $5400 later and I get some hearing aids. Turning 65 has it advantages and disadvantages.

I told the other half I'd never trade those 35 years of competitive shooting for any amount of hearing. I enjoy every trigger pull and the folks I met doing so.

The audiologist said that the foam plug are fine, "as long as they are inserted correctly."

Good luck. Huh?

WW

20. shootintom

shootintom TS Member

Welcome to the world of Tinnitus! Sorry to hear it. Or not hear it in any case. Mine is service related back to '69-'70 in sunny SouthEast Asia. .50 cal. blasting within 10-15 feet of you as well as other smallarms fire. The damage that occurs is to the microfilia hairs in the ear, there's a little forest of them in each ear and with high noises they tend to break off and they don't regenerate so when you got it, you got it. Mine changes frequency on occasion for no reason and then just goes back to the regular ringing. According to the Dr. I saw years ago at Hershey Med Center it's a major cause of suicide! He told me this after explaing that the causes are wide and varied with no known cure, there are treatments, masking units and drugs (highly addictive). I've lived with mine for so long I hardly notice it unless I'm overly tired and then it gives me a little trouble falling asleep.

If you are lucky enough that this is your first episode then there's a great chance that it's only temporary and if you lay off for a while it just may go away.

YMMV but this is my experience with it.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

buzzing in ears from target shooting

buzzing sound on right ear shooting