1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eagles fishing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I live on the bluff of the St Coix River as many/most of you know. These eagles set in my "sling-shot cottonwood. That hangs over the open fast water in front of my house. The river is big and slow and frozen except in front of my house. All these eagles come from the backwaters of the MIssissippi and those waters are frozen and do not yield food. The shad in the ST Croix as this time of the year often are oxygen depleted, still alive, but rolling under the ice and emerge at the ice edge and then they are easy pickins for the eagles. Too, the river holds about 100 diver ducks that often get a shad too big for easy swallow and as the eagle sees them struggle with the shad they swoop down on the diver duck and he drops his somewaht wounded shad and dives to elude the eagle, leaving hte shad for the eagle. Hhe picks it up and takes it to the ice edge and eats it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yesterday we had about 10 eagles in the tree and another half dozen over the water.

Capturing the flying eagle about to land in the tree is tough. But he is in the picture. Some wonder if an eagle can survive should it actually flop into the water as it tries to catch the shad. Be assured that it can flop ontothe water (ungainful) float, pick his prey up and extend its wings and take off.

2. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Looks like a young of the year, in the bottom of that second to last picture.

4. JACK

Lotta young ones. About a third. But thay all feed themselvs now.

the reasons they choose my cottonwood is that it hangs the furthest out over the edge of the open water and that the small twigs and branches hang below the branch allowing them a clear entry and take-off

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Fantastic bird watching at it's finest

6. JACK

[​IMG]

This is an intersting bu t not too definitive. The white birds are Trumpeter Swans and they are vegetarians. They eat the seaweed that is only within the 20 or so feet from the shore. But that is ice covered and inaccessible. So, in order to eat, they chase diver ducks as the divers return to the surface with shad. and then they bully the diver to drop the shad. The mallards and the canada geese do the same. Strange life they lead this time of year. From vegetarians to carnivores. We have aobut a dozen resident swans during the winter. They are happy campers until the ice covers over their limited feeding area. I have some other pics of them diving for natural seaweed too. I'll have to get those off my other computer.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Beautiful pics Jack...we have bunches of eagles here too..inspiring to watch them with their proud and powerful look just sitting perched

8. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Great Pictures. Thanks :)

9. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Wow! Jack cool pictures! Thankx for posting them. Jeff

10. redfin

redfin TS Member

down here in north eastern new jersey ,we got eagles up the wazoo.i see 2-4 every week.there is a nesting pair 2 miles from my house,near the hackensack river.i had one while i was fishing hovering 20 foot over head next to an osprey,the size difference was amazing. love seeing them. joseph

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.