1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eagle Shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DocJim, Apr 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocJim

DocJim Member

Saw some Eagle "magnum" shot the other day. Is it "hard shot?" Usually see West Coast brand in my part of the country. Price of the Eagle was similiar to the West Coast brand. Thanks.
    J.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Works as good as any that I have used!

ec90t

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The West Coast seems harder than the Eagle "Magnum". The Eagle is less uniform and seems a bit more out of round. I'd buy the West Coast for the same money, or even a little bit more.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I, like Quack Shot, have noticed that in the Eagle Shot I have examined, there seemed to be a bit more slightly irregular shaped shot and the size varied a little more than I would like to see. This suggested to me a lack of attention to detail in the manufacturing process.

I have not tested the hardness of the shot. I have not done any comparative pattern work using Eagle Shot. It did seem to break targets well.

Pat Ireland

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Eagle shot is softer than Lawrence Chilled shot. That means it has less than 2% Antimony. It really isn't "magnum" at all. West Coast magnum used to contain 5% Antimony, but i believe they are down to 4% now. WCM is much better shot than Eagle or Star.

6. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Eagle shot works just fine. When I do my part (center my load)I get excellent breaks and ink balls from the 16 yard line with #8's.

For handicap (26 yards) I use #71/2's and get very good breaks.

This tells me that Eagle shot is patterning well in my gun and with the chokes I use.

So, the bottom line is, you do your part and Eagle shot will do its!

Oops, its Saturday morning and getting late, time to put Eagle shot to work.

Frank

7. mastergunner

mastergunner TS Member

West Coast is far superior shot.

If you pay as much for eagle you are getting ripped off.

Eagle shot will not carry like West Coast shot and if you buy some and load it you will find that you get less shell per bag then you do with West Coast, because most bags are short. You will run into the same problem with Star shot.

Stick with West Coast, Lawerence or Remington Shot for Handicap.

The other is ok if you can get a deal on it for 16's.

Right now Star shot is $3.00 cheaper than real shot in my area. Of course you can buy wheel weight shot in my area for $18.00 a bag and it is better than the Star or Eagle shot.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Well then, if Eagle shot is too soft to be shot well Then I must be doing something wrong. I can consistantly break 60-75yd shots (3rd or 4th shot on annies) with Eagle 6's. I load 1 1/8oz of them going 1330fps through a 30" barrel with a IM choke. I guess that I'm reloading junk shot, yea right!

ec90t

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Eagle is most likely the worst on the market "bar_none"!

Eagle the same price as West Coast, there must be a good marketing agency involved! Very Good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

As zzt says, my "drop-test" machine names Eagle Magnum as the softest shot there is, bar none.

Neil

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Neil, have you done any test that shows "the softest shot there is" won't work?

12. Neil Winston

I'll look and see if I have any, cp. Fifteen years ago is was dead soft; that's the last time I looked at it but it may well be completely different now, though.

Neil

13. Neil Winston

Somewhere close is a thread about "shot" which refers to an earlier thread as well.

It cites a couple of tests I did, the first giving me what I thought was "the answer" and the second of which told me I'd been thinking way too simplistically.

Assuming shotmakers get the lead they can, and reading the link above, we should not link hardness to antimony alone. Or assume that what we shoot is lead and antimony, again alone. There are too many other possibilities.

Neil

14. Robb

Robb Member

PIcked up some shot a while back labeled Jerrys Sports Center Magnum. Anyone know who makes it?

15. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I guess all the Mod 12s were designed for 'chilled' shot (soft).

All of mine will smash them from 27 yards, unless I have a case of 'cranial rectumiotis'. Hard or soft shot doesn't seem to make any difference.

16. Neil Winston

At singles it doesn't make much difference.

At handicap I have no data, but from these 34-yard patterns, I'd expect hard to be better.

Neil

17. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Ahab,

Apparently soft lead only works in slide guns. Lol. My BPS trap patterns all shot very well.

ec90t

18. smartass

smartass TS Member

As all armchair experts say, "It works for me".

19. johnpe

johnpe Member

I've done a drop test on two lots of Starshot and one lot of Eagle magnum. The Starshot was as hard as anything I've tested from Winchester, Remington or Federal. The Eagle Magnum tested only slightly softer than Starshot. There was only about a 2% deformation difference with a 6" drop. The numbers were just under 30% for the Starshot and 32% for the Eagle. The difference probably doesn't mean much since the numbers can change from lot to lot.

Johnpe

20. canyonman

canyonman Member

I recently bought some "magnum" eagle shot for 27yd shooting and without access to hardness testers I tried something else. As the remington shot in my mec bottle ran low, I added the eagle shot directly after, but before the remington shot finished. This way I had a direct comparison between the two reloads. When I chronographed five shells of each type, the shells with eagle magnum averaged fifty feet per second slower! This would seem to indicate the eagle shot is heavier and therefore contains quite a bit less antimony. My conclusion is in agreement with others above. Use it for short yardages and don't pay premium prices. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

eagle trap shooting photography

west coast lead shot vs eagle lead shot