1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eagle Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by School Teacher, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I have about 20 bags of Eagle shot size 7 1/2 I bought at between $25 and $35 per bag over the past 5 years because of the price and just set aside. I normally use Lawrence Magnum 8 shot for ATA but Lawrence is now about $40 per bag.

The Eagle shot says that it is made in Peru. My understanding is that Eagle is a little softer than Lawrence and a little undersized.

I use a fixed full choke for 16's and short handicap and load 1 1/8 oz. over Green Dot at 1125 fps. I shoot for fun and use about 5000 shells per year. How would Eagle 7 1/2's compare to Lawrence Magnum 8's?

Ed Ward

2. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I have used Eagle Shot for years and in my opinion, you won't be able to tell the difference between Lawrence and Eagle. Now if you are at the back fence, you may be able to tell but for what you are doing, shoot it and have fun !

Dave in SC

3. johnpe

johnpe Member

Just a couple of weeks ago I performed a crush test on a sample of Lawrence Magnum and Eagle Magnum 7 1/2 shot. This test is done by dropping a 1/2" dia. stainless steel rod through a 5/8 I.D. tube with a hole drilled 6" from the bottom. A wire is inserted through the hole to hold up the rod, a piece of shot that has had its diameter measured is placed on a block of steel, the tube centered over the piece of shot and the wire pulled out droping the rod. This is repeated 10 times and the results are averaged. The average of the diameters gives a pretty good idea of the actual size of the shot and the crushed thicknesses when compared with the original diameters gives the percentage of deformation. The results showed that the average of two brands crushed about 27-28%. That compared favorably with shot from both AA and STS shells. The diameters of the shot showed these lots measured size 7 3/4 for the Eagle shot and 7 1/4 for the Lawrence. The absolute values are a little meaningless because it is easy to find two specific piece of shot that measured exactly the same diameter to yield different crush percentages. This is a comparison test I've run a number of times on different shot over the years. Chilled shot seems to yield crush results of about 40%±, usually less, and the Magnum shot crush results are usually under 30%.

Johnpe

4. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

John,
    Thanks for the info, nice to see some exact tests done, good job. Scott

5. mtimney

mtimney TS Member

Thanks, JohnPE... great info!
    Have you done any other tests on shot that you'd care to share?
    Mark T.

6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

All the science mumbo-jumbo aside... Eagle shot is better than just about everybody that shoots it.

Keller

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

This probably falls into the same category as a comment by George Digweed when asked about an off brand shell. He basically said the worst factory shell is better than the best shooter!

8. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I have loaded and shot about a half a ton of Eagle. I saw no difference between it and "name brand" shot. It all seemed round to me and went out the barrel 1 1/8 oz. at a time.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It seems Eagle must have really upped their standards. I believe it was Neil who done a test a few years back and it came in at 11th on hardness.

10. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I started testing about 4 years ago and Eagle has always tested a close second to Lawrence and well ahead of shot from premium factory loads.

11. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I now prefer Eagle to Lawrence. The last 2 orders of Lawrence had a lot of dust in the bags and some of the shot looked like reclaimed. I called Lawrence and they told me that they make so much shot that something like this is bound to happen. On the other hand, Eagle is a nice and shiny black - now it's my choice.

12. leadvail

leadvail Member

And then you guy"s complain about the lack of jobs and our piss poor U.S.A. economy! Gezzz

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"And then you guy"s complain about the lack of jobs and our piss poor U.S.A. economy!"</i></blockquote>If US industries can't make as good a product as foreign industries, why buy it.

Buying junk just cause it's made in the US amounts to giving out welfare with 1 token string attached.

Keller

14. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I have no issue with Lawrence' quality. But I have to wonder why it always costs $2-3/ bag more than shot that has to come 4,000 miles by boat before it gets on a truck.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Go to Peru and get a job. I doubt respirators are very important so when you start to get a little crazy from lead dust exposure another Peruvian is standing in line for your .50/hr job.

That said, I'll gladly give an American a job if it costs me an extra $2/bag. The same reason I also load with Federal primers and US made wads!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.