1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eagle shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich C, Mar 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich C

Rich C TS Member

Can you please tell me all you know about Eagle brand shot,antimony percent, new or redropped etc.

Thanks,
    Rich

2. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Peru, soft, new shot, slightly smaller than American shot - good for skeet, close sporting and the 16.

3. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

Eagle lead shot is made in Peru. Suppose to be 4 1/2-5% antimony on Magnum brand. Some of my shooting friends like it and some don't.

David McMillen

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Whew. I thought this was going to be about some dunce illegally shooting an eagle.

5. goodlife

goodlife Member

My 2 squad mates and I have been using it for 5 years now and we can smoke the target at any staion over the skeet field. We have no reason to switch brands.
    Larry

6. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

Have shot 25 - 30 bags of the Eagle shot in 7.5 and 8s. I can't tell any difference from Eagle, Lawerence, West Coast or Remington Mags on the target breaks, caps or singles. Never measured the pellets for diameter comp. However, a charge dropped from a factory 1 1/8 mec bar of the eagle will weigh slightly heavier (appx 8 to 10 grains more)than the Lawrence or Remington dropped from same bar. Never weighed a charge of the West Coast so cant include that in the comment. The Eagle bags have a plastic liner that make poring the shot into the shot bottle / hopper nice, just need to keep a set of scissors on the bench to whack off the tops. When price and or availibility are an issue for American made shot I don't hesitate to shoot the Eagle Brand.

Lewis

7. locdoc

locdoc Member

Your comparative weights would indicate that the Eagle shot has more lead in it as compared to the same volume of Lawrence, et al. That means it probably contains less antimony by about 1.6 %. So, if Lawrence is 5.5 - 6.0 % then the Eagle might be around 4.0 - 4.5 %. Enough to be considered 'magnum' shot but certainly not as hard as Lawrence.

My $.02

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

8. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

With respect to hardness alone, it ranks at the top. Only slightly behind the gold standard, Lawrence magnum. And, like Lawrence, it is harder than the shot typically found in premium target loads.

I can't speak to roundness, trueness to nominal size or uniformity of size but in the occasional patterning and shooting 30-40 bags per year I can't distinguish between Eagle, Lawrence and West Coast.

#7.5 shot / Relative Hardness

Lawrence Magnum =100

Eagle Magnum =97

Federal Premium Flyer= 95

B&P F2 Mach = 92

Remington Nitro 27's =91

Federal Gold Medal Paper =91

West Coast Magnum = 91

Lawrence Magnum Copper =87

Winchester SuperSport =84

Federal Premium Field Copper =77

Fiocchi Nickel Little Rhino =74

Remington Nitro Express =73

Winchester Black Diamond Nickel =70

Gamebore White Gold Nickel =68

Remington Game Load 16ga =68

Fiocchi (Italy) HV Field =68

9. Rich C

Rich C TS Member

Thanks for all the info. Im going to try it. Prices are ridiculous around here as in the only other brand availible is northwest at 40$ a bag and this is 35$. Ill have to try and put together a quanity order with someone soon and hope for a better price somewere.

Thanks again, Rich

10. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Mike - those stats from your own testing?

11. wlc

wlc Member

Same results as Wildcat, using my MEC 1-1/8 bar, STS drops weigh about 10 grains less than Eagle. It works fine, you would have to shoot much better than I do to see any difference. Having said that, I'd pay a couple of bucks more for STS shot.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Not seen it around Md/Del. area but would try it if I ever reload again...if I don't there will be a MEC 9000G for sale soon

13. plinker611

plinker611 Member

had my home made tested this weekend,harder than lawerance mag.,and more consistant in size,patterns just as good through 3 guns & chokes,thanks jim stewart.......black max all the way,just hit 2200 lbs through new shotmaker in 2 months,mark

14. mike campbell

Yes, I do a drop-crush test and retest (different lots) the bagged stuff once a year or so. Lawrence has never given up first place.

I'd say if there were pallets side by side I might pay $1/bag more for the Lawrence or WCoast just cause it's 'Merican Made. But usually if I have a choice the USA stuff is $3-4/ bag (10%) more.....no way would I give up 10 bags of Eagle for 9 bags of anything else. It's better than it needs to be.

15. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Why would west coast and Lawrence not have the same hardness when mayco owns both of them. Anyway up here in Washington State I've never seen nor heard of eagle shot. Just peaved that I can't find shot for less then 35.00 a bag unless ya buy a pallet.

16. mike campbell

Why would West Coast and Lawrence not come in the same bag?

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Surprised the Remington tested out so low. I have used it in my handicap loads and found it to be very good.

I assumed it would be right up there with Lawrence.

18. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Hell if I know wanted to get a price on a truck load of lead and talked one lady by the name of robyn. Go to maycoindustries.com its all right there. One Corporation two different entities.

19. mike campbell

While I stand by my methods, data and analysis it is afterall mostly one tiny sample taken from a single shell. It doesn't say anything about lot to lot variation or how things change year on year.

I just found it very interesting that bagged shot available to reloaders is every bit as hard, and usually harder, than that found in premium factory ammo. That's not to say the factories use "soft" shot and nobody doubts their "premium" quality. It's more to say we reloaders don't give anything up in shot quality. As somebody who will likely never buy another box of factory ammo, that's comforting to know.

20. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Mike. Past tests discussed here had much different results for the "hard" Eagle shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
antimony in eagle brand shot
antimony in eagle shot
eagle brand shot good

eagle shot antimony