1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eagle Hard lead shot info.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Pat D, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat  D

Pat D TS Member

Hello all,
    I've been shooting West coast Magnum lead shot and wanted to try Eagle hard lead/magnum. Has anyone have any opionions on it.
    Thank you for your input.
    Pat

2. gordy h

gordy h Member

Tryed it didn't like it, and went back to Remington. thought my hits were not as full? my opinion!!! Butch H

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Eagle Magnum is the softest shot i have ever used. I'd be very surprised if it has any antimony in it at all. Lawrence CHILLED shot is substantially harder. I'd use rather use Eagle than....ummm...gravel, but I'll pay the extra buck a bag and use West Coast magnum.

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Ditto zzt. Fred

5. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

Works fine for 16 yard. I've been shooting it for years.

Dale,

6. johnpe

johnpe Member

The one batch of Eagle shot I've drop tested came out pretty good. I drop a 1/2" diameter steel rod from a constant height of 6" through a 3/4" piece of tubing and crush the pellet on a block of steel. The pellet diameter is measured before and the flattened pellet afterwards. Do this ten times and take an average. Eagle #8 shot (actual size 8.3) deformed 32.4%. Actual shot size is found by substracting the average pellet size from 17.0 and rounding to the nearest tenth. Here are some other tests I've done on "No. 8 shot" for comparison:

Rio Target shell No.8 shot (actual size 8.4) deformed 36.3%
    Winchester No.8 shot, bagged but not magnum, (actual size 7.8) deformed 36.9%
    Lawrence Mag. No. 8 shot, bagged (actual size 7.9) deformed 29.1%
    Rio Trap 28 shell No.8 shot (actual size 8.4) deformed 38.0%
    Kemen shell No.8 shot (actual size 8.5) deformed 37.9%
    Federal Top Gun shell No. 8 shot (actual size 8.1) deformed 29.6%
    Starshot Magnum, bagged, No. 8 shot (actual size 7.7) deformed 29.4%

As you can see, the 32.4% is somewhat in the middle of those tested.

One of these days, when I get a large enough sample, I will do a sensitivity on the deformation with actual pellet size. Since the dropped rod has the same amount of energy, I would expect a smaller pellet (less mass) to show a little more deformation. Obviously, this is only a comparative test. Also, since I don't have the capability of actually determining the antimony content, I suspect the pellets showing deformation in the mid-30's are basically chilled shot and those at or less than 30% are probably in the 6% range.

It should go without saying that a manufacturer can vary the hardness of its shot from batch to batch and certainly over time, so testing shot from one shell or one bag doesn't define that manufacturers average shot hardness. Some of these tests were done a few years ago.

7. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Very useful info johnpe, scientific or not. Thx.

Buz

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

good job, John, do you have anything on Remmy bag shot and West Coast? Along with Lawrence, those are the most available in my area.

HM

9. MrBT

MrBT Member

So I must ask..........with all this data in hand, how many birds does it cost you???

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If you have West Coast shot available at a cost close to the Eagle, stay with the West Coast. The West Coast Shot has appeared to be harder and a bit more consistent than the Eagle Magnum. While I would probably use the Eagle for the 16 back to the 22, I'd use West Coast for anything further back if I had it available at a reasonable cost.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

johnpe- I am quite confused about your test. If I read your post correctly, you measured 10 shot from each batch and derived an average shot size for each sample. Next, you subjected each shot to a drop test and measured the deformation from this average size. If this is true, your methodology is greatly flawed.

The size of shot in one bag will show some variation. Using your analysis, a single shot that is smaller than the others might deform less, but since it was measured against the average size it would indicate much more deformation.

If I understand what you did, your analysis would combine the actual variation in shot size in the sample with the deformation. A very soft bath of shot of very uniform size could easily show up as less deformation when compared to the average size of shot in the sample.

A much better way to interpreted your data would be to add up the original diameters of the ten tested shot. Then this number could be compared to the sum of the loss in diameter of the 10 tested shot after dropping a weight on them. All ten shot in the sample would be then treated as if they were a single large shot. This type of analysis could significantly change your conclusions from the test.

Pat Ireland

12. johnpe

johnpe Member

Pat,

My procedure is to measure the diameter of a randomly selected pellet, crush it and measure its flattened height. Do this ten times and get take the average of the two dimensions. The ratio of the averages is the percent deformation. The average of the original diameters is the average diameter of the shot in the shell or the bag. As you can see, shot labled No. 8 is seldom actually that size. A repeat of the test on the same shell or bag obviously shows some difference, but the difference is always quite small, less than 1% on deformation. I quit doing a repeat test once I decided it wasn't worth the effort. It is a good comparative test. However, it does take a little under 30 minutes from set up to finish. The individual shot size in a ten pellet sample is typically about one full shot size, largest to smallest. I have not tried to be analytically or mathmatically correct, but to have a test that shows the quality of the shot or shells I'm purchasing. I've tested some older shot(30 years or so ago) that showed a deformation of 40-45%. That brand is long gone from the market, but does show just how soft some shot can be.

13. msmith

msmith Member

To be honest, I have never been able, when I miss a target to blame it on the shot. I can't tell the difference even when reloading .410. I have used Lawrance, Eagle and Remington shot. Hard and chilled. My shooting results don't very between the lead in the reloads. Mike

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My test of most things shotgun-related is how it works. My averages with Eagle shot are unchanged from what they were with Lawrence or West Coast Magnum shot.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
eagle vs west coast shot
extra hard shot west coast premium magnum shot
how hard is eagle shot

west coast lead shot vs eagle lead shot

west coast magnum lead shot

west coast magnum shot