1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Eagle Brand Shot - - Quality?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ink ball, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ink ball

ink ball Member

Seeing lots of Eagle brand shot at the local places. In fact, right now, I can't even get what I would consider "good" shot (West Coast or STS). I'm sure for short distance games like skeet, it would be fine, but I'm not really enamored with the idea of using this stuff for trap. What has anyone's experience been with this shot? I know its made in Peru, which doesn't necessarily mean that is it bad, but I'm skeptical. I can envision low antiomony content, inconsistent size and football shaped pellets. Anyone done an comparisons in patterns or analysis on the pellets of this brand of shot?
  2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Eagle=worst on market.
  3. Ahab

Ahab Active Member

I don't know how hard it is ... but.. it breaks birds fron the back fence with a full choke!
  4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

Ink ball, I have not bought or used any Eagle shot before. That said I will tell you what I do know about it from shooters at my club. First it is Euro sized shot, which means that the shot will be almost a size smaller than american sized shot. The 7 1/2's will be very close to american #8 size shot. I have not been able to find any articles on a given antimony for this shot. I would think that at best it is 3 percent or maybe even less. This said for 16 yard targets and first shot of handicaps I would think it would be OK, Maybe even for handicap to 21 yards or so. Do not buy any #8's or smaller shot size though. Hope this helps you out. Oh, Yeh, I do believe you can get Lawerence Brand shot mailed to your house, 2 bags for 80 dollars. They are having this special for their 100 th anniversary. This will work very well for your handicaps. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff
  5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Active Member

Eagle Magnum shot tests, using my drop tester, as the softest I've ever run across, including non-magnum (so called "chilled shot") of other brands.

Neil
  6. BIGDON

BIGDON Active Member

It's junk but will work at 16's.

Don
  7. 635 G

635 G Active Member

Yes it is junk, on the other hand odered 2 bags of shot from Lawrence for their commerative special, they totally messed up the order, eventually got one bag for free & they credited my card for the total amount charged. West Coast & Lawrence are the brands to use if you're going beyond the 16.

Lou
  8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

Right before shot went to the moon, I ordered several tons of Eagle 7 1/2's at $12 a bag. A lucky move!

I get great breaks from the back yard with it, and smoke with Bunker loads at Bunker.

It does what I need. When shot is readily avaiable at under $30 a bag, and Lawrence is available in my area, I will go for another ton.

If I can only get Eagle, I will go for it.
  9. ink ball

ink ball Member

Good information from everyone...Thank you. Pretty much confirms my suspicions. I only use 1 oz loads, so I want to use good quality shot.

Neil...thanks for the info on your drop tests. Just the sort of info I was looking for.

Jeff...Thanks for the info about the Euro spec shot sizes. More good info that I didn't know.

Gary
  10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Active Member

ink ball, I thought you might be interested in seeing a shot hardness tester.

Here it is together. A pre-measured pellet is put on the "anvil" and the steel cube removed. The weight falls and crushes the pellet, whose deformation is measured. The degree of crush is taken as a measure of shot hardness.

[​IMG]

Here it is, in parts:

[​IMG]

Here's the difference in results between hard and soft shot; soft is on the right.

[​IMG]

A caliper is fine for measurement but it's easy to drop the pellet and lose it; this is better and gives the most consistent results as well. This instrument is indicating a 0.090 pellet, an 8.

[​IMG]

Neil
  11. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

There is nothing wrong with Eagle Brand Shot. I've used it for years when available and would buy it again if the price were right. Roundness is good and never seen the football shape ones that are mentioned above. I use it for singles only.

Dale,
  12. phirel

phirel TS Member

My limited testing confirms what Neil posted above. Eagle shot is soft and poorly sized. It might be that the few bags I tested were from a bad lot, but I have no confidence in Eagle brand shot.

Pat Ireland
  13. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

It's better than reclaim and reclaim will break them well from anywhere on the pad. As for size I've measured some and it's always been as close to US. size shot as the big 3
  14. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

winchesterem12,It's better than reclaim and reclaim will break them well from anywhere on the pad. As for size I've measured some and it's always been as close to US. size shot as the big 3

OK so it will break them anywhere on the pad! So how many, how often and how consistent????????????????????????????????
  15. School Teacher

School Teacher Active Member

I have used about 10 bags of Eagle # 8's and it shot well for me at 16 yards. However, I only loaded it to 1150 fps. I think that soft shot performs better at 1150 fps versus 1200 fps and higher.

I had no complaints and in the bags I opened, the shot was clean, uniform and pretty to look at.

I prefer either Remington SPS 6% antimony or Lawrence magnum shot.

Ed Ward
  16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

For the money, I'd spend it on better shot. That said, it is shot and will probably work. How well is the question. I've patterned some, but did not make a comparison to another brand of shot in the exact same loads, so my observations cannot be conclusive. I wasn't that impressed with the patterns, so if it was the load or the shot, I can't say. It might be a coincidence, but the Quality shot seemed to have more even and tighter patterns than the Eagle Brand. The Quality brands were West Coast, Lawrence Magnum, STS, Olin, etc. All Magnum HARD Shot. Even the Lawrence and Olin chilled shot seemed to do better. The Eagle shot was still pretty uniform, round, and within a reasonable range of size variation from the standard. It just seemed very soft in my informal "squish" test.
  17. phirel

phirel TS Member

From the 27 yard line, the best shot will occasionally have holes large enough for a target to slip through. Lower quality shot will result in more holes.

There is a fundamental problem when one tries to judge shot effectiveness on the line. If a shooter with a 93 average shoots a 97 with poor quality shot (this is entirely possible) he might conclude the shot is good. But, he has no idea what he would have shot using premium shot.

Pat Ireland
  18. Bamadawg

Bamadawg TS Member

I have heard of Lawrence and West Coast. I am new to shooting and reloading. Who makes STS?
    Ed
  19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Moderator Staff Member

Bamadawg....STS is made by Remington.

Hauxfan!
  20. dverna

dverna TS Member

A friend bought 10 bags when STS was over $40 a bag and he was out of shot.

The lot he got was very inconsistent wrt shot size and roundness. He is one of the best HC shooters in MI. I sold him 10 bags of the good stuff for HC. He wound up using it up on singles and practice. We would never buy it again.

Don
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.