1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Eagle attacking deer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by steele, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

I just recieved a pretty neat video of an eagle atacking a white tail doe. I've never seen it before. Due to my lack of computer prowess, I don't know how to post it here. If someone is obliging, I'd forward the vid on e-mail & someone with the expertise can post it. Butch

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Try the link above. Bulge.

3. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mEap8Vs-AYw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mEap8Vs-AYw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Be careful with your dogs, a Miniature Poodle wouldn't have a chance!

5. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

When there gets to be enough of them around people will figure out why we killed them off the last time.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    An assault bird!

7. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

'Spose they could be trained to patrol the borders?

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Had one eyeballing my Brittany a few years ago now while hunting a hillside in NB,CA. He couldn't figure out if I was a threat or not and finally decided to let the dog be. You didn't have to be a mind reader to figure out what his thoughts were, poor Alder just kept hunting, didn't have a clue. Bob

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

this is scarey, what if a small child is next?
    steve balistreri

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

Don't forget the 3-S rule.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

This reminds me... About 30 years ago I read in Pennsylvania Game News about a guy in a coonskin cap who got his scalp raked off by a big game bird and then bled to death. Ouch.

-Gary

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

The sky is falling!!!!!!! the sky is falling!!!!!!!! the sky is falling!!!!!!!

Bob Lawless

13. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

My neighbors were driving home, and there was a guy with an 8' leash pulling his little dog behind him... They watched an eagle come in and try to get the dog while on the leash. Watched it hop after the dog, with the owner oblivious to what was going on... finally ran to the owner and the eagle flew off... Pretty brazen for a bird...

Before you say it.... No my neighbors don't drink, do drugs, or aren't on psycho meds....

LWL

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Hey Grayson. You ever heard of DDT? That was the cause of the die off not men shooting them. Sheep heards sufferd some but most of that was blown out od preportion. Post-2

15. 333t

333t Member

The deer looks tiny, about the same size as the bird. I would guess it is Coues Whitetail which is sort of a miniature version. Here is a description from the website above:

The Coues white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus couesi) is one of the smallest deer in America. Coues deer stand around 28-32 inches tall at the shoulder and measure about 56 inches (1426 mm) from head to tail. A large field-dressed buck will rarely exceed 80-90 lbs. (although some can exceed 100 pounds) and a doe tends to weigh about 65 lbs. Hoffmeister (1986) reported the average weight of 7 males from the Chiricahua Mtns. in Arizona as 83.5 lbs (37.65 kg); of 19 females as 67.3 lbs. (30.53 kg). Raught (1967) reported that bucks in New Mexico averaged 85-90 lbs (39-41 kg) and females averaged 65 lbs. (29 kg). In contrast, a good-sized field-dressed Eastern Whitetail buck will weigh approximately 200 lbs. (90.91 kg).

Phil

16. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

I think 3% of small missing children, & other tiny object's are in there secert hide OUT's? !!!!Oh "let's get real", kill everything that doesn't stand erectic on two stick's. Did I hear some one say the "Sky's Falling"

17. Annie Get Your Gun

Annie Get Your Gun Member

On the ranch in Wyo I saw eagles flying off with rattlesnakes. There was a sheep rancher who got in big trouble with the feds for killing eagles who were a threat to his lambs.

yo I have seen eagles flying off with rattlesnakes. there was a sheep rancher who got in big trouble with the feds for killing eagles, you can see where lambs were easy prey for a large eagle.

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Correct me if this Rabbit doesn't seem to be very close in size to that Deer

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jsEUFYhiqxU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jsEUFYhiqxU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Length: 27-33 in.

Weight: 7-14 lbs. (females larger than males)

Wingspan: 72-87 in.

They have a success rate of about 30%, and the smaller and more agile males are often more successful on solo hunts. While they can kill large prey, golden eagles have difficulty carrying large prey because of their own heavy body weight. They may typically carry about 2-3 pounds.

Remember that Eagle was trained to kill for the Falconer on command. Not hunting on its own.

Did Someone say the sky is falling???????

Just like they will carry off your hunting dogs, your children, and all those lambs of the Sheep farmers......LOL

Bob Lawless

19. huntinmama

huntinmama TS Member

I have witnessed a Golden Eagle atttempting to take down a full grown antelope in WY. The eagle would drive down and attack the neck of the antelope. It was a very high speed attack. the antelope would go end over end, then get back up running as fast as it can. the eagle would then swoop in again and to it all over again. It was one of the neatest things i have ever seen. We were driving and lost them in the hills so i didn't get to see the ending. I can't imagine the antelope going much more. We have family who live in WY and say this is very common.
    Now don't confuse an Golden Eagle with a Bald eagle. Totally different in size and color. The Golden is a true hunter, and bigger than a bald eagle. A Bald eagle is a scavenger, they will eat geese/ducks frozen in the ice still alive, but they mostly feed on dead things. Yes they do get fish alive, sometimes stealing off of poles even. We have many Bald around, they do not bother our cats, chickens, grouse or calves. The owls around here, now that is a different story, they will take out our chickens, grouse, cats, etc. Right out of our yard even. They are actually the preditors around here that we worry about. We enjoy haveing the bald eagles around. But if we had Golden i would not be writing that i am sure. In WY not only do you worry about the Goldens, but mountain lions, coyotes and wolves.

20. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Animals kill other animals EVERY DAY in the wild. It's sad when you have guys who see these things for the first time on an internet video and make statements like "this is scarey, what if a small child is next?"

EE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.